Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:40:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Nightwalk Stage
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Nightwalk Stage  (Read 18586 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 11:44:01 PM »

@Yigguth: Do you mean the red sparkles that refill your double-jump, or something else? Anyway I like that idea. It's unique to the stage and easily recognizable for fans of the source material. However, it might allow a player to camp on the roof in certain situations, we'd have to look into that.

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 12:42:56 AM »

@Yigguth: Do you mean the red sparkles that refill your double-jump, or something else? Anyway I like that idea. It's unique to the stage and easily recognizable for fans of the source material. However, it might allow a player to camp on the roof in certain situations, we'd have to look into that.
They wouldn't be able to stay up if you gave them a fair respawn time, because there aren't any walls that high up to cling to.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 07:45:25 AM »

A huge problem with the idea is that each character has a very different vertical jump height. With their grappling hooks, virtually no platform is unreachable for Trilby or Liero, for example. And I don't think anyone wants to see an unreachable Liero spamming Larpas.

Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 10:47:29 AM »

How about if it's reachable normally from the statue base in the middle? And I don't think it will really lead to camping since it should be pretty easy to get up there using the boosters.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 11:05:28 AM »

I don't think you understand my point. There's no way of making a place reachable only from another place, since there's no set jump height. Trilby might be able to reach a platform from the other end of the level, while Naija might not be able to reach it at all.

For the record, unless the level is made dramatically taller, all characters should be able to reach those platforms. I think this is a good thing. The game is primarily a fighting game, not a precision platformer, so precision platforming elements will most likely not work too well. All they will serve to do is make it more difficult for characters to reach each other, which makes combat duller and upsets balance.

(For reference, every character currently in the game can reach the tallest platform of the Bonesaw level from the lowest platform (though some can just barely make it). Naija has the shortest vertical mobility, only able to reach that platform with excellent timing or the help of her spike seed.)

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 01:47:00 AM »

I think you misunderstand him. He doesn't mean "Make it so players can only make it up that way." I think he means "Make it so any player can make it up that way." The characters with more mobility can have their alternate routes. The characters (<-- First time I've spelled characters right on these forums without spell check!) with less should still be able to reach them, even if they don't get there as fast.

(I probably misunderstood both of you and seem like a total idiot, but I don't care)
Radosaur
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 01:47:49 PM »

Hello, novice spriter looking for a way to make himself useful here. Soulliard suggested that I could try spriting some rocks for this level, but it seems like Kadoba's got this covered.

Kadoba, do you want to finish this level yourself, or is it okay if I take a shot at the rock pillars? Either way is fine by me, I don't want to appear rude or anything.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 02:39:02 PM »

It's been nearly 3 months since anyone worked on spriting this stage, so I think you're fine. In general, unless someone's specifically called dibs on a graphic or animation, you can feel free to work on just about anything. The atmosphere is pretty open.

Radosaur
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 05:09:00 AM »

Good point. Still, Kadoba did state that "I'd feel pretty bummed if I got half way through and someone else made the stage first" which is practically like calling dibs so I'm still a bit worried. But I'll give it a try, and if he doesn't like it I can probably reuse the sprites for something else.  Concerned

Just one thing: I have no idea exactly how far in pixels the characters can jump and so on, so I'd appreciate some help tweaking it later.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:14:36 AM by Radosaur » Logged
godsavant
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 07:36:27 PM »

Just one thing: I have no idea exactly how far in pixels the characters can jump and so on, so I'd appreciate some help tweaking it later.

As mentioned by Soulliard, 128 pixels is the minimum height for a single jump (allowing for low-jumping characters such as the Dwarf and Liero)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 11:37:15 AM »

Maybe a little more texture to it?
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 07:06:04 PM »

What about the edit Plasticware Nightmare made
I really liked that one.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 07:20:02 PM »

What about the edit Plasticware Nightmare made
I really liked that one.

I like it as well.  Shrug
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 08:39:38 AM »

I think it should definitely have a bit more colors... I gonna give it a try too.  Wink

Btw, I think a template/design-plan (like how many shades per color, etc.) wouldn't be bad for the stages, because that would prevent the game from having stages with far too distinct styles. Or is there something like that already?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 04:19:27 PM »

It is not as important for all the stages to have a consistent style. After all, most of the stages were chosen in the first place because their visual style is distinct.

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 10:08:03 PM »

Whoa I totally didn't see this browsing the forum.  Not sure how I missed it.  I'm liking the edits on the bird statue - the lighting makes it look as dramatic as I intended it to look.  I would agree that the shading/detailing in the original looks too... three-dimensional for AUS.  But whatever you guys collectively decide on for the style I'm fine with.

A suggestion: [AUS SPOILER] In the game, you duck in front of the statue to make cloud platforms appear and help you get on top.  Maybe the same could happen in the stage?  Cloud platforms could be present to allow the players to climb the stage, and disappear after a certain amount of time.  You'd duck in front of the statue to make them reappear.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:11:19 PM by Matt Thorson » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 04:13:47 PM »

I don't believe we have ducking in this game, so that wouldn't work.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 01:24:46 AM »

Whoa I totally didn't see this browsing the forum.  Not sure how I missed it.  I'm liking the edits on the bird statue - the lighting makes it look as dramatic as I intended it to look.  I would agree that the shading/detailing in the original looks too... three-dimensional for AUS.  But whatever you guys collectively decide on for the style I'm fine with.

A suggestion: [AUS SPOILER] In the game, you duck in front of the statue to make cloud platforms appear and help you get on top.  Maybe the same could happen in the stage?  Cloud platforms could be present to allow the players to climb the stage, and disappear after a certain amount of time.  You'd duck in front of the statue to make them reappear.

haha why would you put a spoiler in the level if you have to put WARNING SPOILER in a simple post?

Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 07:15:53 AM »

It does seem like I was calling dibs but that wasn't what I meant exactly. The thing is that I usually like finishing something before I show it off, and I also like taking my time on it too. I had spent two weeks very slowly on what I had even though it wasn't much. I just didn't want to slowly work on it for a month or two, come close to finishing it and suddenly have someone else come in with a finished version.

I guess in a way I was calling dibs but the thing is I don't mind at all having other people work on it. The image doesn't belong to me, it belongs to indie brawl. But it is a good thing I posted because it looks the style wouldn't work with it. I'd literally reworked that bird about a dozen times and was getting frustrated so I left it alone and put it on the backburner and admittedly forgot about it until now.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 10:45:14 AM »

haha why would you put a spoiler in the level if you have to put WARNING SPOILER in a simple post?

Well I think the reference would be worth the spoiler, especially since the game is a couple years old now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic