Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:19:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsdumping ground of a beginning developer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: dumping ground of a beginning developer  (Read 3473 times)
dillomatic
Level 0

i'm the worst at what i do best!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2009, 09:06:22 AM »

i'm an art guy, not a coding person. my left brain damn near doesn't exist. but i'd like to give making some games a try, and as i have no one to code for me, i got a copy of multimedia fusion 2 and set about putting my feet in the water!

this thread is where i will dump everything i spew out.

i am great.
dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 09:08:53 AM »

30 minutes:
made all the sprites, looking at a yahoo answers thing that explains how platform movement works

1 hour:
finished 6 levels, here is one of them. i wish i realized earlier that making the blocks be 'obstacles' instead of 'platforms' earlier would prevent the sticking to the walls shenanigans.

1 hour 10 minutes:
experiment over, i made a game, technically!

download this terrible thing:
blargharghraghraghghghaghgharghle
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 09:20:48 AM by dillomatic » Logged

i am great.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 09:10:21 AM »

Grin

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:17:11 AM »

the worst robot ever

0 minutes:
i made a game last night, lets try again! same formula.

20 minutes:
i spent 20 minutes figuring out how to scroll. baaaargh.

30 minutes:
sprites finished, tah dah, first room!

40 minutes:
spikes feel boring. ah well. i added noises for everything, but getting the noise to play and THEN restart the frame was hard. i had to trick it into doing so with  playing an animation and upon ending the animation resetting. is there a faster way?

1 hour:
i'm at 4 levels, but i'm proud i kept everything organized. if i kept on going for like a week or so, i would be able to make like 50 without getting cluster fucked! i am proud of this because i am terribly unorganized. it is not good.

1 hour 20 minutes:
finished, that was a fun exercise. now i know how to make non sticky walls, sounds, how to organize myself, and how to make the screen scroll. all in all, i am proud. 6 levels long. still need to figure out how to make music play without restarting each level; anyone want to help me?

i am great.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »

When I first read that title, I thought it meant "worst robot" as "least effective robot".
(Like the Monty Python bit where a guy describes something as "terrible", then a viking says "It wasn't that terrible", then the guy says "no, terribly violent").

Anyway, The Worst Robot Ever looks like it has a lot of style.  Good luck in learning programming.

Also, remember that there's a collaboration thread if you want to team up with a programmer.

bento_smile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 11:50:28 AM »

Keep at it!  Coffee I love the idea of robot poison.
dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 03:12:27 PM »

thank you for the kind words, everyone! i'm glad my creative spark is back.

When I first read that title, I thought it meant "worst robot" as "least effective robot".
(Like the Monty Python bit where a guy describes something as "terrible", then a viking says "It wasn't that terrible", then the guy says "no, terribly violent").

Anyway, The Worst Robot Ever looks like it has a lot of style.  Good luck in learning programming.

Also, remember that there's a collaboration thread if you want to team up with a programmer.

i've tried the collaboration thread to no avail! no one contacted me with anything serious.

and it was meant to be terrible as in least effective, he's supposed to be the pathetic one no one likes and everyone hates for being so pathetic and horrible at roboting!

i am great.
dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 04:55:13 PM »

24 minute shmup named shmflop. simply because i wanted to figure out how shooting and 8 way direction worked. i can't really get a scrolling background working, or properly spawning enemies. baaah!

but my promise to myself was to put everything in here, significant and not, so here;

i am great.
dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 11:52:24 AM »

download for worst robot:
click

made a quick something for my girlfriend

click

i didn't take notes because it was so quick (only like 2 hours)

i am great.
bento_smile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 02:36:33 AM »

Are those games meant to have text in them, like on the screenshots? 'Cos when I play, it doesn't show up.  Sad

But otherwise, nice!  Gentleman
dillomatic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »

Are those games meant to have text in them, like on the screenshots? 'Cos when I play, it doesn't show up.  Sad

But otherwise, nice!  Gentleman

thank  you! and yeah... and they do for me... weird. anyone else have that problem?

i am great.
Fuzz
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 01:25:13 PM »

the text isn't showing up for me, which is a shame, as it appears to lend a fair amount of personality to the games. nice nonetheless! lovely art, interesting level design. didn't like phoebe too much, but worst robot and flatformer were great.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic