Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:26:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Please critique my pixel art and tell me first impressions of my characters :)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Please critique my pixel art and tell me first impressions of my characters :)  (Read 5332 times)
DevianaMagenta
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2022, 04:40:31 PM »

Hi everyone! I'm working on pixel art for a passion project of mine. The art style is minimalistic with simple shading, exaggeratedly bright colors, and rosy cheeks. Please critique my pixel art, and also tell my your first impressions and assumptions about the 7 main characters! I want to know what each of their faces make you think about who they are as a person, without knowing anything about my story or characters.

These are the faces of my 7 main characters for dialogue portraits.

This is the entire extended main cast (so any character relevant to the main plot or planned to have dialogue portraits)

If you're interested in my art process, you can find my art process https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtOslOWCw51vInI0KPNoOrg here.

I'd really appreciate any feedback you can give me! I want to know what you think about both the art and the artsyle, as well as what you think of the characters!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 12:28:39 PM by DevianaMagenta » Logged
mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 08:31:14 AM »

I’m not much of an art critic, but judging faces by the first impression is always fun.

Top row (left to right):
1. Shy and insecure, but tries to give an impression of self confidence.
2. She’s confident. Doesn’t care what anyone else thinks, and sometimes even wants to provoke them.
3. Without knowing what he wants from life, he is successfully pleasing everyone. So that’s what he has ended up wanting more.
4. A little inconspicuous one. She’s not shy or anything, but doesn’t like the spotlights. (Her position at the end of the row may affect the interpretation.)

Bottom:
5. Not taking anything seriously. I’m not even sure if she’s wearing a helmet or her underwear.
6. He has the personality of a zombie. Dead already.
7. Very social, honest and energetic. Everyone thinks of him as a hero, but he isn’t very good at being one.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
Compact Cola
Level 0

Max

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 10:56:51 PM »

Ok I'm in this seems like fun!

(Working my way left to right)
1. Easily startled, nervous, closed but I'm also getting a kind of determined, hard-working, heart of gold vibe for some reason but I like the expression on this one

2. The grin is giving very determined and kind of playful and even kind of adventurous?

3. Friendly and casual and also seems relaxed and cool-headed

4. Defintely some kind of wealthy, but also seems nice and sociable

5. Stalward and reliable and also very friendly

6. Defintely not as friendly as the others, reserved and quiet, but not necessarily evil just...  off-putting lol

7. Kind, Very open, and reliable, but also pretty dumb

I hope I was kind of close lol

Other than that I don't have much to critique. The expressions are really good! Maybe you could do some more with eyebrows and eye shape, and I like the different perspective of the first guy and think some of the others could benefit from more unique/interesting poses to add even more character.

As far as the art itself goes maybe it could benefit from a combination of more shading and reducing the palatte of each character to only a few different colors, each with their own highlight and shadow colors, but this could also be more of a personal preference since I think they already look good now, especially given their bright, cartoony styles and colors.

I like the dissonance between the fantasy characters and the the ones in more modern clothes and am definetly iterested to learn more about your setting!

Anyways, maybe this helps? Either way good luck with the project!  Toast Right
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic