Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:28:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRadiance of Light: a mythogical coming-of-age retro-style strategy adventure RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Radiance of Light: a mythogical coming-of-age retro-style strategy adventure RPG  (Read 1610 times)
DevianaMagenta
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2022, 05:47:52 PM »

Mar 28 2022
  • Story - 95%
  • Characters - 80%
  • Setting and lore - 60%
  • Music - 15%
  • Art - 5%
  • Code - 1%

Radiance of Light is going to be a top-down pixel art RPG with tough strategic battles. The game takes place in an archipelago called Palia, in a world where nearly everything has some inherent elemental magic. The game's intro explains that when the world formed from the 6 elements, an entity called the Void formed as an equal and opposite reaction. You play as Lucious, a young boy who is going on his 16-year old right of passage - a quest across the archipelago. He also happens to be a light elemental, a lucky survivor of a recent genocide to stop a prophecy. In the process, you gather friends, help people, and fight monsters and pirates, all with the eventual goal of nullifying the Void. The game draws a lot of inspiration from old mythology from around the world, and so the storytelling structure follows the semi episodic mythic story structure found in Odyssey or Journey To The West.

This is a mockup for box / title art

This is what the cast of main and semimain character's sprites look like

These are the faces of the main 7 characters

I'm going to be documenting my progress here as well as on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtOslOWCw51vInI0KPNoOrg and I also have a community discord channel where I can hopefully build hype. https://discord.gg/HuA3BxXJMC

My hope is that I can find people who are interested in RPGs like this here, since it's a community of game devs.

The main characters
(The blonde kid with a copper pot on his head, the protagonist) Lucious Smith of Monun is the 16 year old son of the town blacksmith. Because of how small his hometown is, and how sheltered he was as a child, he is very socially awkward and prefers to spend time with just his family, or with the ghosts in the graveyard that he can see thanks to his light magic. Lucious enjoys puns and wordplay, and is a man of few words. He thinks about what he says carefully before he says it, and tends to be shy around people. He is kind and selfless to a fault, and loves cats.

(The redheaded girl with the blue hat) Spectra Siúlóir of Dibi is the twin sister of Terrance. She is a spunky and optimistic personality with lots of energy. She enjoys making maps and cataloging animals and things. She loves to draw and explore. Spectra is the main talking NPC in the game.

(The redheaded dude with the brown hat) Terrance Siúlóir of Dibi is Spectra's twin brother. Like his sister, he is energetic and loves to explore; However, he is the more responsible and plan-oriented of the two, and looks out for his sister despite only being a few minutes older.

(The woman with the blue poncho and purple hat) Maria Levins of Octage is a deeply emotional soul with a lot of friends. She cares deeply for the people around her. Maria was raised by scientists, but her curiosity manifested more as a desire for a life of music and travel. She spent several years as a sailor before settling down as a musician.

(The kid in blue-green armor) Coro Malinson of Heptad is a snarky young girl. Despite her young age, Coro is very independent and very capable, living on her own in the labyrinth under the protection of a griffon named Rr'vacch. Coro has a fiery temper and hates having to rely on people, or being coddled. She has a passion for learning languages, but has trouble admitting it because she sees it as nerdy. In spite of her insistence she needs nobody, Coro is fiercely loyal.

(The edgy guy in purple) Obsulos is an austere and stoic man. He is rooted deeply in his faith in Morturi, and in the old traditions of the morturist monks. While he seems cold, he has a soft spot for children and animals. Obsulos enjoys tea and other simple pleasures, and enjoys spending time outdoors.

(The buff dude in bronze armor) Ignacio of Quipent is a close friend of Maria. He is a generous and thoughtful man who loves to tell jokes. Ignacio is a batball player (the big sport in Palia), and also plays the trombone as a hobby. He enjoys cooking and eating, and is a connoisseur of jazz, musical theater, and exotic spices.

Gameplay
I want this to be a lot more strategic than your typical RPG. There's a lot more factors to think about than just whaling away on your opponents willy nilly. Of course, if you WANT to just plow through enemies with no strategy, you can turn down the difficulty, because I want the game to be accessible.

Battles are randomly encountered. I personally am a fan of random encounters, even though a lot of people aren't. There are ways to decrease the encounter rate, but that costs mana per encounter avoided to keep people from exploiting it. There are also ways to start an encounter without walking back and forth a lot, for people who want to grind.

Battles occur on two 3x3 grids, one for allies and one for enemies. You can place up to 4 allies at a time. The game has strategic elements, including combat range, elemental strengths and weaknesses, and offensive or defensive play. The encounters of typical enemies will be balanced such that you can win with minimal losses if you strategize, but will lose a lot of health if your placement and ally choice is bad. I go more into how combat works in

this video, and am planning to make a mockup soon.

Music
Our music is a mix of EDM, progressive house, and melodic dubstep, all made by our illustrious composer, CT7. You can listen to some of his other stuff https://soundcloud.com/ct7music here.

How you can reach me
I'm best reached on discord! Or community discord is right here: https://discord.gg/HuA3BxXJMC
If you don't have a discord, you can also email me at [email protected] or [email protected] . Smiley
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 08:27:53 AM by DevianaMagenta » Logged
DevianaMagenta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 05:29:51 PM »

DevianaMagenta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 11:22:44 AM »

ALTERNATE CHARACTER PORTRAITS

Lucious armorless

Coro armorless

Nac armorless

Obsulos in good condition

video timelapse here

DevianaMagenta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 07:06:34 PM »

Did some work on walk cycles today
DevianaMagenta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 06:18:00 PM »

I've made kneeling sprites, as well as a secondary outfit for night time!

You can watch the process here!
DevianaMagenta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 06:47:18 PM »

Map of the first island, Ilang

Watch the art process video here:

In this devlog speedpaint, I make a map of the first island, Ilang. Ilang is the home island of the main character, a small, jungly volcanic island isolated on the southwest tip of the archipelago. It has two towns, Monun and Dibi, both of which are mostly fishing towns with a bit of agriculture, fairly isolated from the rest of the world.

I'm inspired by the maps in the start of Tolkein's books Wink . Basically, the map is broken up into small chunks that get colored in as you explore them. Some can be accessed by hiking, others can only be gotten to by sailing up river or sailing around the island to find other bays. I haven't labeled anything because I want the player to be able to zoom in and out, and the text will scale with their zoom, with smaller details appearing as you zoom in farther. The map is not a perfect scale of the world, but an approximate map drawn by one of your party members, Spectra, as you adventure. Smiley
DevianaMagenta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 04:32:46 PM »

The main character's mom, Lucille! A protective and loving mother, but one who respects Lucious's agency and his choice to go questing on his rite of passage. While not a big physical presence, she regularly writes you letters and sends small gifts.

DevianaMagenta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 08:55:49 PM »

One of the party members, Spectra, doodles things in her notebook - plot events, new things and places, calendar events, ect. Here are a few!

DevianaMagenta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 06:28:37 PM »

Art for my in-game museum

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic