Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1401637 Posts in 67933 Topics- by 61476 Members - Latest Member: meeloboer

July 03, 2022, 04:30:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRus Snowman Invasion
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rus Snowman Invasion  (Read 545 times)
Adro
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2022, 07:55:49 AM »

You only need Java x64 and the following OS:
Mac/Linux - https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdwg3q834is54uu/RSI_exe.rar?dl=0
Windows - https://www.dropbox.com/s/nufe1xqs3859sop/RSI.rar?dl=0

Hi!

I really like game experiments, and this is one of them. As a result, we have a plain terrain with plenty of snowmans. Somehow, they managed to invade your land! You don't have any weapons but hope and perseverance. With this on mind, you must find a way to the house of the victory, somewhere in the shadows...

Controls:
-On game:
Move with W-A-S-D.
Look around with mouse.
Zoom in pressing Left control.
Pause with Escape.
Display FPS pressing F.
-On menus:
Use mouse.

Please let me know any issue you have. This is a very, very weird thing (you won't possibly be able to open the game). Any ideas are welcome, of course!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 08:07:26 AM by Adro » Logged
DarkGran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 01:54:48 PM »

Hi, wanted to test it but can't, I do have java but the exe does not launch.
(sometimes I use java too, so I tried to start it with the command line, which gave me: Error: Could not find or load main class RSI.exe - a project setup issue if I remember correctly)
Adro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 08:43:22 AM »

Hi DarkGran,

The problem you are getting is related with the Java version required for the exe to run properly. You need to download this java version (64 bits): https://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=245807_df5ad55fdd604472a86a45a217032c7d .

The reason why it needs this specific version is because I compiled the project using JDK 8 to match JRE version 1.8. I couldn't find any other way to compile the project..  Since you know Java, I would appreciate your help in facing this problem. You could actually get the version error "Couldn't run 32 bit program on 64 bit machine" or something like that if you download the JAR instead of the exe (I also posted it), and then you run it on the command line.

I hope you can finally test it.

PD: This is an old version. I will reload it because I've recently added new graphics features!
DarkGran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 03:39:25 AM »

Hi again. :) Ok it works with the 8u321 version (strange it does not work with 8u333, but it's been a while since I tackled with java... more on that later).

Cute (or creepy?). :)

I admit I did not play for long, I was definitely not able to find the hideout. The moment I was close to more than one snowmen (like on the screenshot), the things were usually over pretty fast. :))
But I probably would have ben able to find the home one day if only I did not have some strange trouble with mouse, which seemed to have trouble staying inside the window and interacting with the game properly (sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't), which basically meant that sometimes I could not look around. Not entirely sure why this could be happening, however a great workaround would be supporting greater window, or fullscreen even. ;D (for that matter, right now the window is really really small - on my 1920x1080 (which is not a lot for quite some time now), its not even a quarter of the screen.)

Otherwise it all seems to work smoothly, so you definitely deserve congratulations on making your own game - especially because, as I understand it, you're truly coding it, using a code framework and a classic IDE rather than an full-blown-engine-with-an-editor (I applaud this way even if you eventually do end-up in something like Unity or Godot, because it gives you much better understanding of how things work (and in consequence, how to achieve anything you want ;))).
Which brings me to a non-review part of this post...

The reason why it needs this specific version is because I compiled the project using JDK 8 to match JRE version 1.8. I couldn't find any other way to compile the project..  Since you know Java, I would appreciate your help in facing this problem. You could actually get the version error "Couldn't run 32 bit program on 64 bit machine" or something like that if you download the JAR instead of the exe (I also posted it), and then you run it on the command line.

Been a while since I tackled java, but this seems a little strange. I do get why you need 8 for 1.8. But why could I not use .333 and had to use .321? Honestly, even if it wasn't a year or two since my last java thingie, I'd probably need to know more if I were to try to help. :p So:
What are you using this to make it (I mean what IDE?)... also are you building with maven or gradle? Oh and are you _really_ making it in JDK, or is it actually OpenJDK? .)

While I'm at it, I want to add that, eventually, you don't want to force your players to download some extra things because of your game. We all want to get our games in a single package (doesn't matter if it just unpacks or actually installs). So you'll probably want to look into how the java runtime is packed into the project (when you learn this, you can use any java version you want, the game will work for anyone no matter their java because the runtime will be a part of the package).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 03:45:25 AM by DarkGran » Logged
Adro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 07:48:05 AM »

Hi DarkGran,

Thank you for your valuable feedback!

Yep, the exit to this level is difficult to find. Maybe some adjustments on the far plane of the frustrum or in the shadowed distance can help.

I also know the issue of the mouse. This happens when you try move it to the left only. Moving the camera at approximately -180 degrees freezes it. Please note it's not a problem related to window size because I tested using fullscreen and other window sizes and the issue is still there... The problem is in the code, for sure. I'm trying to solve it, although it's more difficult than I expected. By the way, the user can set it's own window size using the mouse on title screen or pause menu (window resizable :D).This makes it more customizable rather than only support predefined screen resolutions. However, giving the user a chance to set fullscreen mode is definitely a new necessary feature!

The game is made using LWJGL, and this was my first experience using OpenGL. I'm using NetBeans IDE. The project is built with Ant (I know Maven is the main choice, but I'm used to Ant hehe). On the JDK... I'm using JDK 16, the latest version avaliable.

I'm aware the user doesn't want to install a specific Java version for this to run. I wish I knew the problem with JRE and JDK versions...

See, the project is built with Ant and JDK 8 instead of 16. Why? Because if I compile it on 16, then the computer where I test it (not the same where I develop), which has no JDK but JRE 1.8 (the latest), can't run it because of a Java version error (I don't recall the exact error message). Then, if I build the project using JDK 8, problem is solved. However, now another problem will arise: "Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform", says cmd. Finally, if you install exactly that version of JRE I provided to you on that link, problem is solved. Now everyone that has this exact JRE version can run it. I know this is weird, but still it's the only way I figured out by now.

I'm willing to improve the mouse input bug, and definitely gonna research why this whole Java version error is happening. I appreciate the time you took to test the game! Hope I can update it soon with debugged and new features.
DarkGran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 09:11:31 AM »

The game is made using LWJGL, and this was my first experience using OpenGL. I'm using NetBeans IDE. The project is built with Ant (I know Maven is the main choice, but I'm used to Ant hehe). On the JDK... I'm using JDK 16, the latest version avaliable.

Oh I'm not familiar with neither Netbeans or Ant (btw I'm actually using gradle, even though maven is preffered in business). I do use LWJGL too though, so the problem shouldn't be there.

See, the project is built with Ant and JDK 8 instead of 16. Why? Because if I compile it on 16, then the computer where I test it (not the same where I develop), which has no JDK but JRE 1.8 (the latest), can't run it because of a Java version error (I don't recall the exact error message). Then, if I build the project using JDK 8, problem is solved. However, now another problem will arise: "Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform", says cmd. Finally, if you install exactly that version of JRE I provided to you on that link, problem is solved. Now everyone that has this exact JRE version can run it. I know this is weird, but still it's the only way I figured out by now.

The fact that you are using JDK 8 instead of JDK 16 does not matter. It is actually recommended by many to use Java 8 for your projects over the new Javas for many reasons, compatibility being one of them.
What is strange is that 333 _is Java 8_, by which I do mean 1.8. Just as the 321. But 321 works and 333 doesnt. ;) Really strange.

I'm aware the user doesn't want to install a specific Java version for this to run. I wish I knew the problem with JRE and JDK versions...

Just to make sure: In the end of my post, I was not talking about Java or the version you are using. I really mean that you need to learn to pack/export your runtime (JRE) into the game eventually. No matter the java version you decide to use. This is actually a simple thing, but it is dependant on the IDE (because you have to set it up on export).
This is because the issue isnt "user doesnt want (specific) java" - its because the issue is "user doesnt want (to do) ANYTHING except the game itself". Thats why the engine (which is, in case of java, the runtime and the frameworks) has to be part of the game files. ;)

I'm willing to improve the mouse input bug, and definitely gonna research why this whole Java version error is happening. I appreciate the time you took to test the game! Hope I can update it soon with debugged and new features.

Happy to do it. Good luck! :) (especially with the mouse bug - kinda makes the game unplayable)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic