Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:24:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBoss Rush
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Boss Rush  (Read 38722 times)
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »

Bah.  Spent a good 20 minutes staring at your post, trying out various excuses for why I didn't need to bother fixing that, but they all sounded hollow, even to me. Tongue

So, fixed.  (I used the same fix I used on Cloud-9's lightning, which had exactly the same problem.  So now starting a 2nd laser kills the first one, if it's still out.)  New build uploaded - should read Final03 in the corner.

Thanks for the catch!

Re:  Sparky - no apology necessary - not like you had an obligation to play it!  And you're exactly right about the UI.  I fear it's too late to change much for this game, but one of the big takeaways I had from this project is that I really need to get an actual, real artist on board for whatever I do next.

Also, yeah, the first ship is not as interesting as the later ones.  You are not the first person to say this, and basically, I agree with you.  The problem is that it IS the simplest, which makes it a good learning experiment.  Everything after has at least some weird gimick or extra gameplay requirement, and so I feel like I sort of have to start out with the easiest ship to learn, at least until they get their feet under them.  THEN I can start pulling out the snakey ships, or the ships with drones, or missile reflection, or whatever.

Glad the rest felt more fun though!  Tonbogiri was the first one I made, and a lot of the tech that the later bosses use hadn't even been written yet, so while I like it out of sentimental value, I like the others with their gimicks even more. Wink

Thanks for the feedback!

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2009, 12:04:59 PM »

Holy Crap, I got mentioned on Game Set Watch last week, and didn't even notice!  (I blame the thanksgiving buildup and rush)

Nice!

www.PaperDino.com

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2009, 09:15:16 PM »

Hey, neat! The trailer appears to be working Smiley
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »

Minor update:

No real news on the Boss Rush front (still playing the sponsorship waiting game) but since I needed something to keep myself occupied, I've started fiddling around with a new game.  Since it's at close to the same genre as Boss Rush, I figured I'd mention it here in case the same sorts of people who are interested in Boss rush are interested in the new one.

(And this time I actually am putting out playable demos early. Wink)

www.PaperDino.com

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2010, 11:11:56 PM »

I realize this is something of a necropost, but I figure I should at least stick a comment in this thread, for archival purposes if nothing else:

We finally went live and released!  Boss Rush is out there!  Thanks to everyone who offered comments, suggestions, support, or otherwise helped us make a measurably better game with your input!

www.bossrushgame.com

-Montoli

www.PaperDino.com

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2010, 04:47:19 AM »

Awesome! It's quite fun.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2010, 01:02:21 PM »

I don't believe this was in the previous version, but the tonbogiri's giant laser can go right to the side of the screen, instant-killing the ship.
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2010, 08:43:05 PM »

Oh hey, you're right. Tongue

Yeah, that is a funny side effect...  I tweaked edge collision on Tonbogiri to try to make him more friendly to the "crush the ship" level that everyone finds so hard.  I forgot it would make that laser a bit nastier...

Huh.  Law of unintended consequences, I guess.  Thanks for the heads up!  Good catch!

[Edit:  Solution - Laser is now slightly narrower.  <minimal> Space to maneuver once more!]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 08:49:59 PM by Montoli » Logged

www.PaperDino.com

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2010, 07:39:25 AM »

Awesome game!
..I can't beat the "crush the ship" level. Tough time forcing the enemy up without them backing away by the time I move forward.
Oh I see. The laser. Tongue
Weapon 3 seems to kill pretty easily..
Woa, there are multiple ships / campaigns!? Nice!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:49:52 AM by X3N » Logged

destiny is truth pre-op
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2010, 09:56:12 AM »

Man, that "crush the ship" level...

It is the curse of being the designer that all of the puzzles seem really easy to you when you're making them, since you, you know, kind of know how to solve them.

That "crush the ship" level has confused more people than probably all of the other levels put together.  I keep wondering if I should do something about it, but short of moving it to a different location in the list (and hence messing with everyone's save games) I'm not sure what I can do to make it much easier.

Glad to hear you made it past however!

www.PaperDino.com

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »

Btw the bosses you unlock rock. Centipede one's my favorite, very fun.

Has anyone played multiplayer?

destiny is truth pre-op
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic