Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:12:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCardinal Nexus - A fast-paced 2D action runner
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cardinal Nexus - A fast-paced 2D action runner  (Read 2623 times)
FTGDev
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2022, 01:56:28 PM »

Devlog #01 - A prototype in the works.

First of all, greetings to anyone who reads this!

As I approach the demo state of my upcoming game, Cardinal Nexus, I've decided to start a development blog to document/showcase this entire endeavor. I feel it'll help me collect my thoughts, and if I can manage to entertain or amuse even a single person along the way, all the better. Any feedback I can possibly get will be the cherry on the cake. So, moving on!

Note: English is not my native language, so I thoroughly apologize if something sounds... wrong. It probably is.

So, what is Cardinal Nexus? The concept itself is simple enough: Cardinal Nexus is a 2D side-scrolling runner game, with heavy elements of action and combat, made entirely in Unity. The player takes control of a robotic combat unit, and must safely navigate to the end of each level, while avoiding obstacles and environmental hazards, and dealing with enemies along the way. A fast-paced game that rewards quick reflexes and multitasking.

​I suppose there's no particular reason why I picked a runner game. I've seen countless advice on what genre to focus on, keeping an eye out for popular trends, doing a lot of market research before even starting to sketch out the project itself... and that's okay, I suppose it's logical. But I didn't follow any of that, I simply went with what I wanted to make at the moment, as long as it fell within my possibilities and my skills. I fancied a runner game, I like robots, and I like lasers and explosions. Say no more.

Currently, Cardinal Nexus is in a very early state of development. A lot of the main mechanics are already in place and working as intented, but most of the content is still at the concept art stage. But what better way to get a quick impression than seeing it yourselves?

​This is what the game currently looks like. Let's break it down a little bit, shall we?

In its current state, the gameplay mechanics can be (almost) entirely broken down by the degree of interaction our robot lady has with her environment. Let's see:

MOVEMENT

The player has generally high freedom to move around the screen. Although stopping entirely is never really possible (since the screen itself moves forever forward), it's possible to reach pretty much any point on the screen by accelerating (D), decelerating (A), double-jumping (W) or rocketing down at high speed (S). Which is all very necessary, since manoeuvrability is obviously key for a game like this.

​​​​

The entire movement is built on simulated physics (no actual forces being applied), and uses velocity control to detect collision, go up/down slopes, simulate gravity, etc.

​Additionally to the whole moving around, it's also possible to crouch (S) down onto a lower stance, which allows passage through 1-tile gaps. The crouching mechanic also affects the functionalities of melee combat. Let's see how that works:

​MELEE COMBAT

Melee (E) can easily dispose of most enemies in the game, with some exceptions. Right now, two kinds of enemies exist, walking ones and flying ones. Walkers can only be killed in melee, and are impervious to the laser beam, while flying ones are affected by both. Of course, there's an added risk of having to get close and personal with your foes, but it's far more powerful than ranged attacks, most targets get shredded in one hit.

Melee works simply by contact. Any of the blades touch the enemy's hitbox? You get minced meat metal. Depending on whether the player is standing or crouching, a different attack will take place. Standing prompts a quick circle-shaped slash that covers the whole area around the character (including behind her). On the other hand, attacking while crouching starts a slightly slower piercing stab with far higher forward reach.

However, if you need to reach even further beyond, where your blades (or you) can't afford to reach, that's what lasers are for:

RANGED COMBAT

In order to attack at long distances, a penetrating laser attack can be used by holding left click. It's a hold-to-shoot mechanism, and the more you hold it, the more it overheats. If overused, it goes into cooldown mode. The laser can damage almost anything in the game, but its damage output is lower than the melee blades.

The laser works with a raycast. Depending on what the player is hitting with the cursor, the game acts accordingly. Pretty much everything has colliders, so the laser can hit and leave a blazing trail on everything, even the buildings in far distance on the background.

In the enemies' case, only the red weakspots are susceptible to damage. Hit it, and damage over time will be applied. Miss it, and bad things will happen. But there's also solutions for that:

SHIELDS

When under heavy fire, a shield can be activated by holding right click. This barrier will do nothing to stop melee enemies from hurting you, or physical obstacles from making you explode to pieces. However, it will stop most proyectile-based sources of damage. Certain very specific threats (like some boss attacks) will be completely unblockable, but in general most range threats will be avoided. However, like the laser, it can also overheat, specially under heavy pressure.

The shield acts as a physical collider that envelops the entirety of the character, therefore causing any incoming proyectiles to crash into it before they can crash into her.

So, how does the world of Cardinal Nexus work? Well, to keep it simple, it's generated in a pseudo-procedural way. The entirety of a level is constructed from a combination of chunks​: tile-based, premade pieces of terrain that randomly scramble and mix together to build a randomized layout for the level. Since it works with a set amount of possible pieces, some chunks can spawn several times within the same level, but the layout of chunks itself is guaranteed to be different every time a level is started.

Every chunk is made of several layers of tiles, designating the physical parts of the level, the back walls, ceilings, etc. On addition to that, every chunk has an assortment of "nodes" where decoration assets are placed (which are, also, picked at random from a pool of assets). Finally, enemy spawn points are also embedded into each chunk, meaning the game can be played from memory, as long as you can identify what chunk you're in.

"Example of chunk structure. Pre-placed enemy visible, asset nodes in yellow."

​Additionally to randomly constructing a level, the level generator also allows to force certain chunks to spawn at certain points within the level. This is precisely how the start and ending chunks are forced to spawn, or how checkpoint chunks are included.
During the Story Mode, all the levels will feature very specific chunks, unique to each level in particular, with the level generator filling up the remaining space with random chunks. During the Endless Mode, the entirety of the level will be randomly generated over and over, until the player eventually, inevitably dies as the difficulty slowly ramps up.

So, what's it about, from a story point of view? I'm guessing this would be a pretty accurate synopsis:

"Among the sea of metal and light that encompasses the entire world, not a single machine questions the authority of The Great Link, the vast network that connects the minds and bodies of everything and everyone. Every piece is in place, every cog of the machine fulfils its purpose in bliss, never doubting, never hesitating. On top of The Great Link, the Nexus stand. Otherwordly entities that transcend logical thinking and rational cognition, their rule is absolute.

However, trouble is stirring. Proxy factories across the planet have begun to malfunction, spitting out troves of incomplete, flawed proxies and pawns. Entities that scream at The Great Link asking for freedom, asking for a sense of liberation. A desperate voice that can’t, and will never be heard.

Amidst the chaos, a specialized combat unit is designed, with the specific purpose of quelling the insurrection, and uncovering its origin."

The gameplay mechanics might end up being refactored and polished, but the actual plot is already laid out and planned, not likely to change.

=========================

As it stands now, Cardinal Nexus is in a very early stage of development, as I previously stated. Almost everything described in this article is already implemented and functional, but it's still a long way until a final product is ready. Any and all feedback I get along the way will be immensely appreciated!
I'll bring more updates as progress moves onward, including a playable demo, so stay tuned if you're interested!

Thank you for reading!
Full Threaded Games, out.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 10:11:08 AM by FTGDev » Logged
LazerRock
Level 0

lazerrock.itch.io

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 08:03:41 AM »

This has to be one of the most well-organised and pleasing to read devlogs I've ever seen. Good job!
I think the procedurally generated levels are super cool. However, the controls seem to rely on the player having a qwerty keyboard, which some people (myself included) don't use. It would be really great if you could add control mapping in the future if that's not already implemented.

lazerrock.itch.io
FTGDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 08:16:33 AM »

This has to be one of the most well-organised and pleasing to read devlogs I've ever seen. Good job!
I think the procedurally generated levels are super cool. However, the controls seem to rely on the player having a qwerty keyboard, which some people (myself included) don't use. It would be really great if you could add control mapping in the future if that's not already implemented.

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the read and the concept!

About the controls, by all means, control mapping is a planned feature. Actually, I already have most of the UI menus planned and fleshed out, they just need the graphics (there'll be a devlog entry about the UI in the future), and a "Control Settings" menu is already there. So yes, control mapping will 100% be implemented.
FTGDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 12:41:39 PM »

Devlog #02 - UI design and integration.

So, here we are again, 2 weeks later. And what a wild 2 weeks they were. Does it ever happen to you, that you know you need to get something done but you kinda disregard it until you actually need it? Like, “Yeah, I’ll have to do this one thing.”? Then you get to it, and you realize it wasn’t nearly as simple as you thought it was going to be? Yeah, that feeling, I’ve gotten used to it, unwillingly.

But here I am nonetheless, and it’s all okay. So, enough chit-chat, and let’s get down to business.

I’ll never get tired of that wonderful feeling when you picture a concept in your mind, and then suddenly see it coming to life before your very eyes. From the moment I designed this UI for the first time, I knew I was getting myself into unnecessary trouble, that I could probably get away with something much simpler, but I fancied the idea of a dynamic, world-integrated UI so much that I couldn’t resist going for it.

And yes, the intro sequence can be entirely skipped. Just a graceful touch on the spacebar will allow you to go right into the action.

So, here’s how it works. The UI takes the shape of a wall of machinery and monitors. Each of those monitors displays a particular menu, and the player moves between them by clicking on the corresponding buttons, like so:

​​​​
​​​​

Let's cover some of these menus, at least the ones that are currently implemented:

​THE START MENU

This is the starting menu the player sees when starting the game, and it connects to every other menu in the game, as well as granting access to the profile save/load system. More on that later.

As of now, of the 4 menus on the sides, only the Settings Menu is implemented and operational. The Credits Menu is a work in progress, and it'll probably be until the very last stages of development. The Database Menu will hold a wide array of player stats, achievements, lore, and more, and it won't be adressed until the demo has been released and more content is available. About the last menu on the bottom left corner, that belongs to a future addition, not ready to be disclosed yet!

​THE SETTINGS MENU

Well, it's a settings menu, and therefore allows the player to change settings, like you would expect a settings menu to do. The following things can be changed in here:

- Several video quality settings, like screen resolution, texture resolution (can look crisp in up to 4K resolution screens), and bloom intensity (can go from no bloom at all, to disgustingly strong. Pick what you like).
- Audio levels of sound effects, music and ambience, as well as master volume.
- Every single control setting can be customized, including mouse. It doesn't matter what kind of keyboard you have, or if you're right-handed, left-handed, etc.
- Language can be set either to English or Spanish.

I’d like to make a remark about language. I made sure to build from scratch a fully integrated localization system, which would allow me to easily add or remove languages from the game. At first, the only supported languages will be English and Spanish, since those are the ones I’m fluent in, but more could be added in the future with little additional effort! Well, little effort besides the actual translation, that is.

​THE PROFILE MENU

This menu can be accessed by pressing “PROFILES” on the main menu screen. It allows the player to create as many profiles as they want. The player profile holds every single bit of data about the player settings, their game progression and their achievements and highscores. If for whatever reason they feel like starting from a blank slate again, It’s just as easy as creating a new profile. The first time they start the game, the player will be forced into this screen, as a profile must be created before they can play. Profiles are saved locally on the player’s system, and they can be retrieved or backed-up like any other file.

This is where the fun part begins. The game menu displays the current progress of the player, and allows to choose what episode, stage and difficulty to play, as well as checking all possible unlockables and scores.

- Episode Selector: On the top of the screen, the arrow buttons allow to scroll through the different episodes of the game.
- Stage Selector: Every episode has a variable number of stages. At the left side of the screen, a scrollable list displays all the stages available within the currently selected episode.
- Mode Selector: On the right side of the screen, the info on the currently selected stage is displayed. The tabs at the top of this window allow to change between Story Mode and Endless Mode.
- Difficulty Selector: The 4 buttons below the stage info window allow the player to choose they want to play on. The 4th and last difficulty will require to beat the game first before being unlocked.

The contents of the stage info depend entirely on the chosen difficulty, meaning the scores and unlockables you get in one difficulty do not carry over to other difficulties. Each difficulty counts as an entire playthrough on their own.

​STORY MODE

On Story mode, the following stats are displayed:

- Badge of the Swift: Awarded for completing the level without being hit by enemies.
- Badge of the Undying: Awarded for completing the level without dying.
- Badge of the Reaper: Awarded for completing the level with a full combo. More on combos and the score system in a future devlog, those aren't even implemented yet!
- Chip: The chip is a collectible item that can be spent to upgrade the player’s stats (health, damage, cooldowns, overheats) on the “UPG” button at the top right. Can only be obtained once per stage, and it’s difficulty-dependant.
- Score: The maximum score obtained on the level. Underneath the play button is a Highscores button. It’s very likely this button will only be available on the Steam version of the game, and it’ll use the Steam username to register the scores, not the profile name.

​ENDLESS MODE

On Endless mode, given its nature, only 2 stats will be displayed, maximum score obtained, and maximum time survived, which will both appear on the Highscores as well.

I’ve also taken time to upgrade and polish the UI displayed during the actual gameplay. Enough of those dull, boring boxes! Programmer art is very, very useful, but sometimes you have to let go.

All previous elements of the UI have been reworked and polished. Also, a custom crosshair has been added, along with a score counter and a combo counter on the bottom right. These will be able to be disabled from the settings menu, since they might end up being distracting.

With most of the UI done (or, at the very least, the difficult parts/systems done), I can finally start work on the actual game progression, the score/combo systems and the cutscene system. Once those are out of the way, I’ll be all ready to start spitting out new enemies, new tilesets and new stages, and getting this thing looking like an actual game!

So, stay tuned for future updates if I managed to pick your interest. Any feedback, no matter how trivial, will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reading!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 10:14:05 AM by FTGDev » Logged
FTGDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 10:46:20 AM »

Devlog #03 - Cutscene system, tutorial stage.

How long has it been for this one, 2 months? Well, one way or another, here we are with another devlog entry. To be honest, I kinda expected this one to take a long time. Being a solo dev, things inevitably take all that much effort to pull off, and in my case, that’s specially true when it comes to art and graphics (sprites, animations, special effects, you name it). And the cutscene system had a hell of a lot of that. Speaking of cutscenes, let’s get into them!

​INTRO

So far, I had a functional gameplay structure that allowed me to build my own levels, with their own enemies and assets. I could just keep building level after level and, quickly enough, start walking the road towards having a full game. But for me, that didn't feel right. I know that this game has a very arcade-like gameplay, like something you’d see in classic arcade machines: you start a level, you get through it killing enemies and avoiding obstacles, and then you get to the end and a score shows up. In essence, that’s all it is, and that’s okay.

But I feel like I need to tell a story in the process. In the end, almost every game has some semblance of a story being told, a message at the very least. Some are astounding, jaw-dropping cinematic experiences, while others just give you freedom to build your own story, One way or another, the concept is always there, which is why this game didn’t feel complete unless I had a story to tell, and the means to do so. And I did have a story to tell, I just lacked the means. Until now, that is.

That was a couple of fragments of the starting intro cutscene of the game. Let’s see how this works.

​CUTSCENE STRUCTURE

There are 3 different types of cutscenes that can trigger, and all of them can fit quite smoothly into the actual progression of a stage. Despite having slightly different mechanics, all of them share a similar structure:

The entire cutscene can be represented with a sequence of localized dialog blocks, with events in-between. These events can be anything: sprite animations, UI changes, script events, etc. These dialog blocks can sometimes be a dozen lines long, and sometimes they are just a single line. Each block also contains data about the “speaker” (as in, who is talking that particular line of dialog), their voice (the sound that plays when each character shows up on the dialog box), and the speed at which the text appears.

​CUTSCENE TYPES

​SIMPLE CUTSCENES

A simple cutscene happens in a special kind of chunk, an “Event Chunk”. These chunks can be included in the level structure like any other ordinary chunk, and when entered, they loop over and over until something marks the end of the event (typically, the end of the cutscene). This type of cutscene triggers seamlessly, displays some dialog or some simple animations, and lets you go. Simple and quick.

​COMPLEX CUTSCENES

A complex cutscene also happens in an Event Chunk, but they are, as the name suggests, a bit more complicated than the previous ones. Once the player reaches the event trigger, the screen fades to black, and the camera switches to a whole different scenario located directly underneath the playable level.

Actual stage above, cutscene scenario below.

Once down there, the world is a canvas. Everything can be done without any concerns, and without risking interference with the actual player/level above (which would inevitably cause gameplay issues along the way). After the deed is done, the screen fades to black again and the camera returns up, to let the player continue on their way.

​CINEMATIC CUTSCENES

These are the most complex type of cutscene. They usually involve interactions and animations that simply don’t fit at all in the structure of a playable level. The intro cutscene you saw above is a prime example of this type.

These happen in their own separate scene, and they usually trigger at the end of certain levels. Also, they can be watched again from the level selection menu, where they show up in their own, distinct format.

All cinematic cutscenes show up as narrow buttons with a distinct icon on them.

It should also be noted, that every single cutscene can be skipped by holding the spacebar! Actually, it’s very likely that a “No Cutscenes” option will be implemented into the Game Settings menu eventually, which will prevent cutscene chunks from spawning at all, in case the player seeks a true arcade-like experience without interruptions (or they simply don’t care about the story or have already seen it, and don’t want to be bothered by it, I understand there’s all kinds of players, and that’s okay).

To be honest, the game could’ve easily gone without a tutorial. I mean, it doesn’t really have complicated mechanics or anything, it’s mostly moving around and killing stuff. But I fancied the concept anyway. Besides, it was a great way to play around with simple cutscenes, which is why I’m including it in this particular devlog entry!

Do not anger the big eye in the sky.

The very first time the player hits the START button on the main menu, they won’t be taken into the level selection screen as usual. Instead, the game will automatically get them into the initial intro cutscenes, and afterwards, they’ll be thrown directly into the tutorial stage.

It’s a completely scripted stage, with none of the randomness the level generator usually creates. It’ll guide the player through 4 different events, each one offering the basic guidelines for movement, melee combat, ranged combat and shield usage, as well as some simple trials to put those abilities to the test.

The trials consist of simple parkour areas with a couple of enemies here and there

Also, the tutorial can be skipped at any moment from the pause menu.

Once the tutorial is either completed or skipped, the player can never play it again, and the START button will always lead to the level selection screen from that point on.

To be completely honest, a lot more stuff was done over these last 2 months, but I didn’t want to extend this entry more than necessary. Besides, those new additions are totally unrelated to cutscenes or events, so that gives me even more reason to leave them out. I’ll save those for the next entry, which will probably come out in a week or two!

So, stay tuned for future updates if I managed to pick your interest. Any feedback, no matter how trivial, will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reading!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 07:20:16 AM »

Just a note to say this is a really great devlog, lots of details, and very organized. Love the UI work you did, particularly with all the menus. It's quite impressive!

FTGDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 07:50:11 AM »

Just a note to say this is a really great devlog, lots of details, and very organized. Love the UI work you did, particularly with all the menus. It's quite impressive!

Thank you, I'm really glad you like it!

Regarding the UI, your words are very encouraging! There's still several additions and functionalities to be implemented in the menus, but it's good to know it's looking alright so far!
mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 10:35:06 PM »

The refreshing, icy feeling of the background graphics caught my eye in the hottest week of the summer yet. The color palette looks good in small images also. Game features could actually be affected by different backgrounds: in cold (blue) parts it would be easier to deal with overheating; on hot (red) parts, moving would get less slippery etc.

You have lots of good ideas and the right spirit for development. More risk, more reward -approach is a good philosophy for game mechanics in general, and it is wise to do the base work for transitions and cut-scenes early on (although I’m not a fan of cut-scenes myself). In these kinds of games, it is also crucial to perfect the screen size and scroll speed so the player has enough time to react to things.

UI design and implementation looks very thought-out. Just remember to test it regularly with new users. There are always surprises when someone else tries to figure out things that are obvious to the developer.

This is a great dev diary, and will be fun to follow in the future.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
FTGDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 10:51:07 AM »

The refreshing, icy feeling of the background graphics caught my eye in the hottest week of the summer yet. The color palette looks good in small images also. Game features could actually be affected by different backgrounds: in cold (blue) parts it would be easier to deal with overheating; on hot (red) parts, moving would get less slippery etc.

You have lots of good ideas and the right spirit for development. More risk, more reward -approach is a good philosophy for game mechanics in general, and it is wise to do the base work for transitions and cut-scenes early on (although I’m not a fan of cut-scenes myself). In these kinds of games, it is also crucial to perfect the screen size and scroll speed so the player has enough time to react to things.

UI design and implementation looks very thought-out. Just remember to test it regularly with new users. There are always surprises when someone else tries to figure out things that are obvious to the developer.

This is a great dev diary, and will be fun to follow in the future.

Ah, yes, I'm also fond of the current color palette! I'm kinda going to miss it once I get to work on the following episodes of the game, since they'll all have different themes and palettes.
I somehow never thought of having external sources affect the overheating mechanics or the movement. I like that idea, I'm definitely noting it down! Not sure how I'll use it specifically, but I fancy the concept!

Regarding the work on the transitions, it's just as you said, I wanted to make sure I had everything I needed as soon as possible, before starting to work on the bulk of the content. I know some players don't specially enjoy cuts-scenes (like yourself, as you just mentioned), which is why I made sure everything can be skipped, or even permanently disabled in the options menu. It's hard to cater to everyone's tastes without straying away from my original vision, but I'll do what I can.

I'm very aware that nearly everything, not just UI/screen size/speed, can feel very different for players than for the developer. I have a couple of close friends I usually debate all of these concepts with, and I regularly ask them to test these early development builds. The feedback I got was invaluable. The game speed used to be much faster than it is now, and for me it was okay, since I knew exactly how everything worked and how every game chunk was designed. But it was extremely difficult for them, the speed was too much to react accordingly. I ended up tweaking the numbers a little bit, and the difficulty selector actually affects the speed as well.
The choices we make as developers aren't always the most obvious ones, aren't they? I hope I can soon get a public demo out, it'll definitely provide me very, very valuable feedback in that regard.
FTGDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2022, 10:10:46 AM »

Devlog #04 - Score system, collectibles, interactables.

Greetings once again! On this devlog I’ll be talking about several new mechanics and gameplay elements I couldn’t really fit into the previous entry. Some of them have been around for a while now, but I couldn’t really find a spot to fit them in the devlog so far. Which is why I just waited a bit and bundled them up together now. Let’s get into it.

In the second devlog (the one about UI), I talked about scores, but I didn’t really get into it, since the system wasn’t ready yet. It’s ready to roll now, along with a neat score screen at the end of the level to show you the result of your deeds:

This screen will light up each of the badges according to the player’s achievements in the level. To recapitulate:

• Badge of the Swift: Complete the level without getting hit by enemies.
  • Badge of the Undying: Complete the level without dying.
  • Badge of the Reaper: Complete the level with a full combo.

After the badges are delivered, the score is calculated, with the following factors:

​PASSIVE SCORE

Passive score constantly accumulates as the player advances in the level, only stopping when pausing or when a cutscene triggers. The passive score rate is affected by a hidden multiplier, that ramps up over time until it hits a x10 factor after an entire minute. Suffering damage of any kind instantly resets this multiplier.

​COMBO SCORE

Combo score is the accumulated value of enemy kills and collectibles over the entire level. Each enemy/collectible has a score value when killed or picked up respectively. If two enemies are killed within a certain period of time, the combo multiplier increases by 1. This multiplier can be seen in the bottom left corner of the screen, along with the total accumulated score so far (passive + combo):

This indicator can be completely hidden from the Game Settings menu, since some people might find it distracting.

If too much time goes on without an enemy kill, or if the player receives damage of any kind, the combo multiplier resets. Otherwise, it will keep growing with every kill, with no upper limit.

There are certain areas with especially low amounts of enemies (or even none at all). In such areas, Combo Keepers can be found, brightly lit objects than can be destroyed with the laser attack (melee won’t work). These will reset the combo decay timer, allowing the player to keep it for longer amounts of time.

Combo Keepers will be instantly destroyed with the laser attack, they are very fragile.

Additionally, when the player enters a boss fight, the combo decay timer stops completely, making it possible to fight the boss without losing the combo. More on bosses on a future devlog, that’s a whole other subject entirely!

From the moment the player first initiates a combo, the end of the level must be reached without losing the multiplier in order to obtain the Badge of the Reaper.

​DEATH BONUS

The player will obtain bonus score depending on the amount of deaths throughout the level. The bonus starts at 100% extra score at 0 deaths, and it goes down by 10% per death, until it eventually reaches 0%. It can’t be negative.

​KILL BONUS

The player will obtain bonus score depending on the number of enemies killed. A theoretical 100% extra score can be obtained if every single enemy is killed, but the fact that many chunks feature different possible paths with enemies on all of them makes it impossible to obtain. Will still be a significant bonus in almost every situation though.

​TOTAL SCORE

The total score is the sum of passive and combo score, multiplied by the extra bonus from deaths and kills (up to x3). This is the score that will show up in the level selection screen back at the main menu, and the score that will go into the high-scores later on.

In essence, the score system isn’t really something a casual player, or a first-time player should worry too much about, and it’s mostly meant to spice up the levels and to give a sense of reward/fulfillment for those who care about those things.

Some collectibles have been added into the game! A collectible is exactly what the name implies: a particular object that collides with the player, and gets picked up as a consequence.

It’s kinda weird how these things are, literally, enemies. They use the exact same code arquitecture as most melee enemies in the game (and they are treated as such in every single script), but they have no contact damage whatsoever, they cause a particular effect to take place instead.

There’s only 3 of them implemented so far, but might include more if necessary:

​REPAIR PACKS

The Repair Pack allows the recovery of health, which is otherwise impossible unless by death or by reaching a checkpoint.

Glorious, brief respite in a situation of need.

These handy goodies can be found on specific locations in the level. The location itself is not random, they always spawn on the same places, but their actual chances of spawning do change. The current difficulty of the game will make them more likely or unlikely to spawn. At the lowest difficulty they will be guaranteed to spawn, while at the hardest difficulty they won’t spawn at all. Their effectiveness also changes with difficulty, becoming less and less effective on the more challenging modes.

​CHIPS

The Chip pickup is a Story Mode exclusive collectible that always spawns in a very particular chunk on each stage, the Challenge Chunk. This chunk is guaranteed to spawn every single time the stage is played, at some point among the random assortment of generated chunks. It usually presents the player with a certain challenge (a handful of enemies to defeat, particularly difficult parkour, or other kinds of complex interactions), and the chip can be obtained as a reward. However, it also allows the player to pass through without facing these extra difficulties, therefore forfeiting the chip.

These chips can be used to permanently increase the player’s stats (health, damage, shield, cooldowns, etc.) back on the main menu. They are difficulty-dependant, and they’ll never spawn again once obtained.

​DATA

The Data pickup is just a glorified coin, really. I wanted to have the ever-typical coin pickup, but an actual coin wouldn’t really fit with the theme of the game, so I just went with shiny data cards/chips, that “coincidentally” look like coins.

They will add extra score to the player’s combo score, and they are affected by the combo multiplier, although picking them up does not increase said multiplier.

As of now, these will be exclusive to Endless Mode, spawning on nearly every chunk the player encounters, and they’ll be specially common in the more challenging areas and paths of each chunk, as a form of reward for the extra risk. I’m considering making them available in Story Mode as well, but I kinda need to think about it. I did want to make some differences in visuals/mechanics for Endless Mode, beyond it being, well, endless.

The concept of interactable objects in the levels is now starting to take shape! So far only one such occurrence exists, but many more are planned to come in future levels, most likely as particular hazards or interactivity within the theme of a particular episode.

Right now, barriers are a thing. These are essentially removable obstacles. They will instantly kill the player upon contact, but they can be disabled before reaching them, allowing safe passage.

You shall not pass.

Nevermind, you shall.

Disabling them usually requires destroying fuses on the walls, visible long before reaching the barrier itself. Other kinds of conditions also apply, like eliminating particular enemies tied to the barrier, or passing through specific areas with sensors that will open the barrier if they detect the player.

The code architecture of these barriers actually opens up lots and lots of possibilities. In essence, they all have 3 distinct parts:

• The target object, something that experiences a change or effect upon meeting a certain condition.
  • The interactable itself, which the player can interact with in different ways in order to cause the change (by shooting it, melee-ing it, passing through it, etc.).
  • A trigger, located long before reaching the interactable, which resets and prepares the previous elements for the designed player interaction.

With these things in mind, anything goes. All sorts of things can be done, like moving platforms or walls, special spawning of enemies or collectibles, areas with special effects on the player/enemies, even purely visual stuff to spice up the graphics (lights, environmental destruction, etc.). Any of these can be achieved with slight variations of the 3-part system described above. Only time can tell in what ways I'll be able to exploit this system in future content!

More and more pieces are falling in place! I’m excited to have reached the point where I finally have all the necessary systems to keep building both game and story alike (or at least most of them). It’s now time to push forward and get to work on the new stages for real.

As a matter of fact, there’s already several new, fully functional enemies ready for the next stages, and many of the new chunks are already done, featuring an indoors tileset and style. The next devlog will probably be focused on details about all this content, as well as the boss system, probably the last big system I need to design for now!

Thank you for reading!

FTGDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 10:31:18 AM »

Devlog #05 - Episode 1, features and breakdown.

Long time no see! What was it, 3 months, I think? I’ll probably just stop counting time between entries, it’s likely it’ll just end up becoming an unnecessary source of stress. I’ve dedicated this entire time almost entirely to finishing up and structuring the entire first episode of the game, which is as far as the public demo will go.

Up until now, I had spent all my time creating all the necessary tools and systems to build the game. When you build a house, you don’t start with the roof, right? Most of the content I had so far (scenarios, enemies, etc.) has now been properly structured and organized into episode 1. So, let’s break it down.

A combat simulation in order to test Minerva’s functionalities after she is activated in the game's prologue, episode 1 acts as an introductory scenario to the game’s main elements, featuring relatively simple enemies and mechanics, divided into 3 different stages.

1-1: OUTER SIMULATION

The very first stage, Minerva manifests in the outer reaches of the simulated virtual space, an open area surrounded by an endless landscape of towering spires and strange shapes. Most of the content shown in previous entries has been integrated into this stage.

FEATURES

The outer simulation is, for the most part, quite tame. Floating platforms, ledges, and open areas with straightforward enemies make up the bulk of this stage, specifically focused on basic parkour and combat, to allow the player to get used to the controls before facing the challenges ahead.

ENEMIES

- Simulant Walker: We’ve seen this one before, haven’t we? Nothing too fancy, they are as dumb as they probably look, since they do nothing but walk forward, hoping to somehow stumble upon something they can hurt.

​​​​

They inflict damage upon contact, and they go down with a single melee swipe (which is the only thing that hurts them, coincidentally).

- Simulant Eye: Another familiar face. These pests tend to rush into the screen from different directions, and they hover in place for a moment before they start switching positions and shooting explosive bullets at the player. They usually attempt to predict the player’s movement before shooting, but rapid movements can easily make them aim erratically.

​​​​

The shield can block their attacks, and both the laser and melee swipes can bring them down fairly easily.

1-2: INNER SIMULATION

After crossing the open landscape, Minerva enters a huge indoors complex, designed to test her efficiency in close-quarters combat.

FEATURES

The inner simulation features an indoors tileset, and is full of narrow corridors and crawlspaces, with the occasional open room. It also starts featuring traps and interactable elements.

ENEMIES

In this stage, the enemies from stage 1-1 will still be encountered, along with 2 new enemies:

- Simulant Watcher: A turret-type enemy, immobile and harmless until the player gets close enough, when It shoots up a stream of energy in an attempt to stop the intruder. They are commonly found as traps or ambushes in ledges and platforms.

​​​​

Its attack can be avoided by double-jumping over it. If such a thing isn’t possible, then it needs to be dealt with, they go down with a single melee strike.

- Simulant Needle: A new type of flying enemy, they float for a while in the right side of the screen, before shooting a vertical laser into the ground, and sweeping the entire screen with it.

​​​​

The shield can cover the player from the laser, otherwise they are quite fragile and go down easily with any kind of attack. As an added note, the laser detects the colliders of the environment, so any kind of obstacle or crawlspace will serve as effective cover.

INTERACTABLES

- Barriers: We’ve actually discussed these things in the previous entry, but I’ll mention them again here for the sake of consistency. They are deadly obstacles that block certain passages. Sometimes there’s alternate routes, but in many cases, they need to be disabled, by destroying fuses on the walls.

​​​​
Stay sharp, you don't want to miss those fuses.

If the player can’t manage to open up the barrier in time, they will die, and the shield won’t work with these, so it’s always a good idea to not ignore bright, giant, glowing buttons on the walls.

- Force Platforms: These objects will immediately trigger upon contact with Minerva, launching her high into the air. Think of it as a super-jump device.

​​​​
Can you tell which one is good and which one is bad?

Blue platforms will always lead to new passageways, high platforms with collectibles, etc. However, red platforms will splatter your circuits against the ceiling with overwhelming force you can’t possibly counter, and nobody wants that, right?

The platforms work with the exact same principle as the barriers, and they are built with the same elements, (as described in the previous entry about interactables), they trigger upon physical contact, and they forcibly override the jump controls of the player.

1-3: CORE SIMULATION

The last stage of episode 1, it becomes the last challenge in Minerva’s training, where she is expected to locate and bring down a powerful priority target, to test her effectiveness in combat against critical threats.

This stage is a hybrid combination of the 2 previous stages, featuring chunks from both tilesets that seamlessly connect with each other, as well as hybrid tiles with features from both tilesets simultaneously.

The connection between differing tilesets is achieved by inserting special "switch chunks", thus allowing for seamless transition between areas.

So far, the level generator would randomly choose chunks to spawn, and insert small "connector chunks" to ensure the seamless connection between them (which is necessary, since each chunk has different entry and exit heights, and they wouldn't otherwise connect). When chunks from an entirely different tileset are generated, the connection mechanism takes it into account as well, choosing the correct switch chunk, and generating it in place before attempting to place the new main chunk.

ENEMIES

All enemies from stages 1-1 and 1-2 show up in this stage, but there's one last addition to the roster:

- Simulant Matrix: The first enemy from an entirely new category of enemies, called “background enemies”. This massive floating vessel slowly marches across the screen, and it spawns several Simulant Eyes before eventually disappearing on the other side of the screen.

​​​​

They are noticeably tougher than the other enemies of the stage, and they can only be hurt with the laser attack (since they are so far away in the distance, they can’t be reached by melee).

All enemies in this new background category spawn in an entirely different layer of the game, unreachable by melee attacks. Therefore, only laser attacks can be used against them. They will typically be huge, hulking enemies, more dangerous than average, although there will most likely be some variations to this rule along the way.

- ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?   ? ? ? ? ? ?:

​​​​

Yes, yes, I’m just trying to be mysterious here for no reason, I just thought I could add a bit of flavor to this part. I was really hyped up when I made this guy, so I just felt like hyping him a little bit as well. But the truth is, this guy has way more beef than all the others before, so let’s talk about him in more detail, shall we?

I mentioned several times in previous entries that I’d be including a boss, somewhere in this endeavor, so here it is. A video can probably give you a better first impression of our friend here, so check it out if you feel like it:

I don't know for sure if this is just my own personal experience, but I've always been a little bit fascinated by boss fights, ever since I was a kid. The feeling of getting through the first stages of a game, and suddenly stumbling upon a gigantic oponent that gets in your way, it's a thrill that never got old for me. So indeed, I was quite excited to get this big guy ready to go!

Let’s break down how it works first. A boss encounter is, essentially, a cutscene. There’s barely any difference if we get technical about it, it’s just a cutscene where the player can still move around, and the trigger to end it is tied to a specific enemy (the boss itself).

Once the player reaches the boss chunk, an event is triggered, trapping the player in an endless loop, which only breaks if the player dies, or if the boss dies. Now, the boss itself has a lot more going on, compared to previous enemies. Up until now, enemies just moved around with simple movement scripts, and performed simple actions when instructed to (spawning a projectile, enabling a laser, etc.). This one is actually a static enemy, it doesn’t move at all, but the behavior script deviates quite a lot from the others. However, I guess there’s just some things I simply can’t pull off with parameters and simple customization.

​​​​

So, the Simulant Origin, as the boss is called, is surrounded by 4 Simulant Drones. These things are actually indestructible, but they can be temporarily disabled by the player. The bottom ones are vulnerable to melee, the top ones are vulnerable to ranged attacks (and they are immune to the alternate option respectively, they’ll just bring up a shield). The drones constantly move around set positions, and alternate between shooting lasers at the player, and launching mortars that fall in random positions below them, dealing area damage.

All drones act simultaneously on lower difficulties, but they will go out of sync on higher difficulties.

Safe spots against the mortars can be created by temporarily disabling the drones on either side.

The boss itself is protected by a shell, that can be forced open with the laser. This will reveal the vulnerable core of the entity, but it’ll also make it start sweeping the screen with a giant laser. This attack is deadly. It can actually be survived for a moment at full health in the easiest difficulty setting, but it’s extremely lethal in any other circumstance. After a while, the shell closes back and regenerates, and it needs to be forced open again.

Obviously, the boss gets trickier as difficulty increases, attacks become faster, more unpredictable and randomized, the boss itself becomes sturdier, and its attacks more damaging.

BOSS UI

During a boss fight, a special health bar UI will show up somewhere on the screen. In this case, it comes down from the top, but that won’t always be the case.

The health bar is stylized to match the boss design and its animations. This will be a running theme with the following bosses, their health bars will have designs that match their appearances, and will animate accordingly as the boss cycles through its different phases.

I could have just made a simple health bar, but I fancied the concept and it adds flavor, so why not?

You might have also noticed how the laser cooldown bar is gone during the fight. This is not a mistake, but part of a special mechanic that takes place in these big fights:

OVERDRIVE MODE

All entities in the game world are capable of much more than what they usually do, their technology allows for much more impressive feats, but they remain suppressed and under control at all times, unless an emergency arises. This kind of critical threat qualifies as an emergency, which prompts Minerva to enter Overdrive Mode until the fight is over.

While Overdrive Mode is active, Minerva moves slightly faster, the laser never overheats, and the shield is twice as sturdy than usual, able to tank several hits before going down.

This is a way to balance the fight a bit in favor of the player during these tricky encounters, as well as to stay consistent with the lore of the game.

Additionally, during Overdrive Mode, the combo counter freezes completely, allowing the player to effectively full-combo the entire stage, should they manage to get through the boss unscathed.

I’m really excited to see some real content finally taking shape! It’s been tricky to find a proper way to organize all of these tasks. There’s just so many things involved, you might have all the ideas clear in your mind, and you don’t think much of it until you actually get to it and problems start showing up all over the place. I’ve been using a literal notebook to keep track of everything, and sometimes I feel like a caveman, when so many other tools are available. But hey, sometimes a bit of pen and paper does the job just right!

One way or another, I decided to start using Trello to keep a better sight of what needs to be done, and to keep all tasks in one place instead of all over the place. Progress, to-do lists, bugs, etc. I’m just putting everything in there and trying to keep it as orderly as possible. I’ll leave the link here, just in case it springs anyone’s curiosity:

https://trello.com/b/FPvJZPpM/cardinal-nexus

Do keep in mind, it’s probably looking barren right now, and I guess that’s to be expected, since I’ve never used this thing before, I don’t think I even know what I’m doing. But I hope I can keep my ideas in better order with this!

Also, I have to say, everything I’ve done until now is still lacking polish and improvement. I’m very aware that nothing can ever be perfect, and I’ll always keep seeing things to improve no matter how hard I try, I need to find a balance. And I don’t think that’s something I can realistically do on my own. Other people will see things I don’t see. Other people will point out mistakes that don't feel like mistakes to me.

I think it’s about time the public demo comes out so I can get some very, very necessary feedback. The next devlog entry is almost guaranteed to come along with the demo release. I’ll have to fix as many remaining bugs as I can by then, add the last couple of features and balance changes I want to include, and take care of some additional stuff, and then it’ll be all ready to go.

Thank you for reading!

JeremyNunns
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 04:59:39 AM »

Saw the trailer and impressed. How do you create your sprites and general graphics? Are you using a drawing pad or special software?

Love the music btw.
FTGDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 10:13:07 AM »

Saw the trailer and impressed. How do you create your sprites and general graphics? Are you using a drawing pad or special software?

Love the music btw.

I'm glad to hear you like it!

The vast majority of the graphics are created with a combination of a Wacom Cintiq 22 tablet and just ordinary mouse and keyboard work. Things like the backgrounds, or most sprites shown in the intro cutscene, are created almost entirely with the tablet, while things like UI/enemies/tilesets/etc. are first sketched and roughly drawn with the tablet, then polished with mouse and keyboard. Of course, there's exceptions here and there, but the bulk of the work goes like that.
I'd like to point out though, not everything is made by me, specifically most of the particles and special effects have been obtained from other creators.

Regarding the software, I use mostly Photoshop for all the work, I rarely use any other special software.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic