Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1401615 Posts in 67931 Topics- by 61478 Members - Latest Member: clubcana

July 02, 2022, 03:46:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignhow do you go about map design?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: how do you go about map design?  (Read 224 times)
q1
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2022, 03:44:48 AM »

hi!

I've been working at this game for a while. it's a mostly relaxing game about fixing robots by manipulating cables and modules. i set it in a 2d sidescroller because i wanted to tap into that feeling of getting to know a space, as well as having that melancholy of being a tiny guy in a big world. anyway, I've implemented the base features. now i want to design the overall world so that I can figure out where to place things, and figure out how I want to expand on the base mechanics.

problem is, I'm completely stumped.

I'm trying to think back to games that I've played that capture a feeling of exploration that I want to develop in my own. hollow knight, a short hike, and rain world came to mind. three very different games... with worlds of varying sizes. man, i have no idea how to approach this one. i want the overall look of the map to be symbolic of the game's themes, as well as give every robot (level) a home, and also pace the player well.

(levels are going to physically be a part of the main world, which is why i need to figure out the world before i design them. their shape depends on where they are within the world, if that makes sense.)

i have no idea if i'm overthinking this or not. am i supposed to make just anything at first? should i make a rough draft, then playtest, then redo it, over and over again until i'm satisfied? or is there some kind of effective world design methodology that I can learn?

THANKS!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 03:52:31 AM by q1 » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic