Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:10:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNEBULA - space shooter
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: NEBULA - space shooter  (Read 3807 times)
JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2022, 04:27:53 AM »

Hello!

Here I am starting (again) new project... this time Space shooter. I am planning to make it short but very action oriented casual game.
I am currently working on prototype but hopefully I will be able to show you soon some results Smiley

Some screenshot below:

https://jutek-pixel.itch.io/nebula

« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 12:48:08 PM by JuTek » Logged

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 08:34:04 AM »

Hi there,

Nebula is growing day by day, currently I am working on levelling system for player progression.
So there are going to be two ways to improve player stats in this game:

1. By Upgrading weapon and player stats in (i call it) hangar. Separate Scene before mission where permanent upgrades can be bought.

2. During mission by collecting scraps and gaining levels. It will allow to upgrade trinkets and weapons.

At the moment I have prepared base logic for progression of 12 weapons and 10 trinkets and Hangar system.
I need to connect it together but base is solid Smiley

Last week I managed to prepare some early Feedback effects for a Player and Enemies.
For this I decided to try Allin1Shader asset from Unity asset store and actually so far i love it and recoment. Easy to use and really powerful tool Smiley

Some samples here... cheers!

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 01:22:14 AM »

Hi there!

It was a busy time but I have made quite a progress. Health and LevelUp System is ready and so far it is working well. I have decided to keep UI bars really small to not disturb screen, i believe it will be important in later stages when I will implement a lot of enemies to play with.

I have also created a solid code base for weapons, trinkets and buffs. At the moment there are 14 weapons, 12 trinkets and 10 buffs.  I think for the prototype is quite a lot already so lets leave it at those numbers.

Each weapon can have 10 upgrades during the game. Trinkets(artefacts)  are a bit different, each has different number of levels and bonuses. I have an idea that during the game player will have a chance to switch on 7 weapons at a time. So you can imagine that after upgrading few weapons there might be nice bullet hell Smiley

At the same time I made this system quite flexible so that I can add and modify levels for each item really fast. I assume there will be a lot of balancing to be done so that will be helpful.

At the moment I am prototyping first UI elements (LevelUp window in particular). That idea is to be able to open this window each time player get level. There will be a chance to upgrade weapon, artefact etc. There will be limited choice in this window, maximum 4 bonuses each level. all will be chosen randomly.

Target for next weeks:

To finalise logic for all UI elements in Game_Play Scene.
Create prefabs with logic for all weapons and trinkets.

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 02:25:02 PM »

Interesting. Your game shares some obvious similarities with my current project.

I’ll give this a go with feedback when you have the release ready. I may also steal some ideas. Be welcome to do the same Smiley

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 07:27:11 PM »

Interesting. Your game shares some obvious similarities with my current project.

I’ll give this a go with feedback when you have the release ready. I may also steal some ideas. Be welcome to do the same Smiley

Thanks, indeed Nebula seems to share some ideas, even thought I haven't seen ATP before Smiley
I am impressed, your game looks pro and really cool! Feedback from projectiles and impacts are on another level, I would like to have something similar in Nebula. However I am just stepping in to GameDev world so it might be a bit to difficult for me...

Cheers!

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 04:51:06 AM »

Hello again, time to start Nebula DevLog  Well, hello there!

Work is moving quite well, i have made bunch of UI elements (health bar, experience bar, currency bar) plus few UI windows necessary for a game.
After obtaining a level player will have a choice between leveling up weapons, artefacts or taking minor buff(health or cash).
There will be also a final window in the end of run where all basic statistics will be presented (Number of damage inflicted, number of kills) for each weapon used during run.

Now I am working on visuals for new weapons (laser in particular) nad I have two options on a table:
1. Simple straight Laser

2. ...or Laser with a bit of distortion, just to add more juice to the game...

Which one looks better?

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 11:20:33 AM »

Which one looks better?

To my mind, it depends on the feel that you're going for: both might look good if they're of a piece with the rest of the aesthetics.

The "straight" laser, to my eye, looks more precise, more "technical", more technologically polished.

Conversely, the "wibbly" laser, to my eye, looks less precise, more "organic", more chaotic, and less technologically polished.

By the way, have you considered adding a bit of glow around the laser? That too might improve the look of the thing, I feel. (Again, if it fits with your aesthetics.)

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 06:40:12 PM »

Hey Folks, thanks for a feedback in regards to Laser, in the end I decided to stay with the one without distortion, it seems more precise, clean and my kids also likes it more Smiley

I have been working recently on the different type of weapons in the game. Here are som gifs to share with small description to each weapon. All weapons will have 10 levels of progression during the game. Plus there will be a shop/hangar system where each weapon will be able to get some permanent upgrades (faster rotation or reload, more damage etc.)... lets start!

1. Regular turret. There are three colours variations of this turret (yellow, blue and red). Each color has some different effect. This weapon  will have average reload and rotation speed on the start.
Yellow - is stronger and is passing through more enemies on the start,
Blue - can slow enemies for a period of time,
Red - except initial damage it is inflicting  more damage over time (something like poison). It will have average reload and rotation speed on start.

2. Laser - similar to turret, three colours with the same effect but Laser can pass all enemies in the line. However it is inflicting less damage on the start. On the early levels, Laser will have a rather slow reload and rotation speed.

3. Double Barrel - it is like small double turret, two projectiles at a time. The idea is that this weapon will shoot more projectiles but weaker. It will have fast turret rotation and shorter reload. Only one variant for this weapon for the moment.

4. Light Missile - It has smaller explosion radius but there are going to be more rockets during level progression. The strength will be in their number and reload speed. It will have also faster turret rotation.

5. Heavy Missile - Less projectiles but bigger explosion and during progression there are going to be more explosion per missile. Slow reload time (one of the slowest in the game so far), slow rotation.
Actually I made this explosion square very fast for prototype purpose but i really like how it look so i think I will keep it Smiley

6. Plasma Ball - Ball with an explosion effect on impact. Average reload and rotation time. By progressing with this weapon explosion effect will get bigger.

7. Plasma Cannon - This a Sonda (satellite) type of a weapon. Rotating constantly around player. Speed of rotation will increase during game. at the start there are going to be 2 sondas. This is strong weapon with limited range. But during progression it will be possible to unlock more sondas and gain more distance. Long reload time.

8. Space mines - Another Sonda type of a weapon. Throwing exploding barrels into a space around player. Projectiles will stop at some point and will detonate only when enemies will collide with it. Long reload time.

OK, at the moment that is all i have, together with all colour variants for laser and regular turret i have so far 12 weapons. I have also idea and some code already for another two weapons (Both sonda type weapon). If you have some ideas that might be easy to implement don't hesitate maybe i will be able to implement it.

Cheers!

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 01:00:55 AM »

....and that how it will look when player will get to level around 90 with most weapons on max.

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 06:59:29 AM »

Hello There!

I have finally Compiled some small Demo of NEBULA, you can find it on Itch - link below.

In demo there are two maps available, bunch of weapons, players and hangar with improvements. Have Fun!

https://jutek-pixel.itch.io/nebula

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:04:36 AM by JuTek » Logged

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 10:53:09 AM »

Hello again,

Short update with progress of dame development.

1. I have implemented a new option in "Pause Panel" where player will be able to change music during game, for the moment i have only 3 tracks.
2. One additional, advanced weapon added.
3. I started to integrate project with Steam, Achievements manager etc.

and that leads me to the most important info
Steam Page is Ready! XD  It is really nice feeling to see page for your game on Steam, it was my dream!
For the moment I haven't upload any build but I am getting there.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2101250/Nebula/?beta=0

« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 10:58:46 AM by JuTek » Logged

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 08:04:45 AM »

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 02:37:23 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I have finally found some time to prepare Trailer for Nebula!
Those 49s of video took me almost 3 days of work but i like the effect!

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2022, 03:54:10 PM »

Hello everyone,

Just couple of days ago a Demo of Nebula has been release on Steam! Smiley

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2101250/Nebula/?beta=0

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2022, 09:57:59 AM »

Hi there,

Nebula Development is progressing quite well. Just today i have uploaded small patch 0.4.0 that will help to toggle between full-screen and windowed version of a game. There are also some resolution options to be chose.

If you fancy to try, demo is available on Steam and some kind youtubers had actually try it out.

Steam - https://steamcommunity.com/app/2101250

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2022, 06:13:15 AM »

OK So I was testing recently some defence turrets for Nebule, looks quite cool Smiley

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2022, 08:51:36 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am still working on nebula but it is slowly coming to the end of production. I wanted to share some recent Gifs

Demo available on Steam and Itch
Steam: http://shorturl.at/bdwX5
Itch: http://shorturl.at/INV07

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2022, 01:38:43 AM »

Your space looks like a very crowded place indeed Grin. Will the game go on until the unavoidable FPS kill?

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2022, 02:32:13 AM »

Hi there,

No I don;t want to kill FPS so I actually implemented some goal for the missions. It is necessary to collect certain number of gears on each map. Each map is more difficult (stronger enemies) and more gears has to be collected.

JuTek
Level 0

JuTek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2023, 12:49:29 PM »

Hello everyone,

Nebula is ready and just waiting for release on 25th of January 2023. Here is a link to latest Trailer. Keep a fingers crossed for a release day Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic