Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:44:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPhantasmal
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Phantasmal  (Read 15146 times)
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2009, 05:27:01 AM »

Should have started one of these threads sooner, thanks to dock for telling me Smiley, anyhoo, heres the info drop:

Screens/Arts:

Quick Game Overview:
Phantasmal will be a shmup-rpg, borrowing elements of each genre and maybe having a few things of my own thrown in too, I was going to try and include some hacky slashy stuff too but I couldnt make it fun so its getting axed lol.

Anyhoo, I have a fairly sizable story ready and an equally sizable world planned out, so dont expect it to be done too soon. When it is done it will be available for mac and win though.

Dev stats:
Game engine: Unity (indie)
Arts: MS paint (+ the gimp to set alphas)
3D: Blender
Time spent so far: about 2 months

I'll try to keep regular updates here but if I dont please kick me up the bum, I'm always working on this so theres always stuff to say Smiley
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:00:39 PM by GirlFlash » Logged

robertogracia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:44:23 AM »

Hey GirlFlash,

Nice concepts you have going there..dig the mood of those environments.
I'll keep watching for more.

Rob
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:58:48 AM »

Hm, those screenshots look pretty interesting. I'd love to see more stuff in the environments, but I guess that's what these threads are for. Good luck on the project!
ChevyRay
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 06:21:01 AM »

It's looking awesome so far, GirlFlash. I'm especially loving those latest screens, with the cool outlining. Is that purple thing shooting those blocks in that first shot there? I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes; it seems like a pretty ambitious project, good luck!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 09:29:57 AM »

Thanks for the complements so far guys!  Grin

Is that purple thing shooting those blocks in that first shot there?

yup, that was an early test at getting cool bullet patterns, though thats probably as hectic as it will get in game, I'm tempted to have an 'elite' mode with full on curtain fire lol.

anyhoo, it just so happens today I'm working on environments, more figuring out how I'll do them than making them look polished so far:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:05:59 AM by GirlFlash » Logged

robertogracia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 10:21:27 AM »

I can see how you are getting serious here..well done! It would be good to make heavy use of proxies for pretty much everything just to figure out the gameplay first...and lots of concepts to keep you motivated

Great website btw.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 11:27:23 AM »

GirlFlash, This looks great, I love the concept drawings the style is pretty original.  The ingame shots looks like they are coming along nicely as well.  Keep us updated on your progress.

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 01:09:20 PM »

this is looking really promising, it's like a combination of indie comics and Aeon Flux.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »

I like the feel of the concept art you posted. I can't wait to see more finished environments in the actual engine- I think the style you've got going will carry over into low poly 3d well.

So it's a shmup RPG? What do you have planned for the gameplay? I'm intrigued.

I'm not sure how much similarity there is, but I'm reminded of P.N. 03. Despite not getting the budget it deserved, it's a pretty neat game at heart. If you haven't played it, P.N. 03 combines arcade style pattern fighting (somewhat shmuppish) with acrobatic dodge moves. Between levels there's a store that allows buying upgrades such as better weaponry and defensive systems. I wouldn't really call it an RPG, though character upgrades are a pretty central part of the hook.
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 01:41:07 AM »

I can see how you are getting serious here..well done! It would be good to make heavy use of proxies for pretty much everything just to figure out the gameplay first...and lots of concepts to keep you motivated

thanks for the tips, I am trying to keep anything that isnt final down to capsule graphics or boxes, though as I'm sure its a little obvious from my latest screens I like my environments too. though this is mostly just so I can be at the point where I can say to myself 'you can do that bit alright, so feel free to do the important stuff' and I am pretty much there, I am just about at the point where I could go ahead and build my game world, populate it with npcs and have the story part of the game there. that will give me confidence to take my time on the gameplay and make sure its perfect before rushing off and actually doing that (especially as thats what will likely take the most time).

GirlFlash, This looks great, I love the concept drawings the style is pretty original.  The ingame shots looks like they are coming along nicely as well.  Keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks, though I think the style has come out through my choice using ms paint rather than anything on my part, when I use photoshop it looks prettty mediocre I guess lol. still if it stands out I wont knock it :D

this is looking really promising, it's like a combination of indie comics and Aeon Flux.

lol, is that because I she looks super skinny and tall? the reason for that is my monity screen is a little stretched right now, when I get a new cable to fix that she'll probably plump out a bit  :D

I like the feel of the concept art you posted. I can't wait to see more finished environments in the actual engine- I think the style you've got going will carry over into low poly 3d well.

So it's a shmup RPG? What do you have planned for the gameplay? I'm intrigued.

I'm not sure how much similarity there is, but I'm reminded of P.N. 03. Despite not getting the budget it deserved, it's a pretty neat game at heart. If you haven't played it, P.N. 03 combines arcade style pattern fighting (somewhat shmuppish) with acrobatic dodge moves. Between levels there's a store that allows buying upgrades such as better weaponry and defensive systems. I wouldn't really call it an RPG, though character upgrades are a pretty central part of the hook.

I just checked out some videos of P.N.03, its like a stripper with lasers lol. pretty cool though, and there is certainly a little in common with what I have planned for my game, though mine will lean closer towards classic shmupping and not be quite so 'acrobatic' *cough*stripperdancing*cough* ...(seriously though, was there a need for the butt wiggling when shooting?)

anyhoo, with regard to more finished environments, I was working on lighting last night:

from top to bottom:
-no lightmap
-shadows lightmap
-ambient lightmap
-shadows plus ambient lightmap

to be honest I'm liking the ambient+shadows the most right now, even though shadows alone is closer to the style of the concepts. though the ambient stuff is really toned down anyway, I think it still looks better.

if anyone has any opinions on that feel free to tell me how stupid I am for stepping away from the concept style.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:06:54 AM by GirlFlash » Logged

Jolli
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 01:46:24 AM »

i like the shadow+ambient best ^^

i think it's ok to change bit from your original concept
bento_smile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 02:38:56 AM »

I think I like the one with just ambient best.  Smiley
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 04:51:12 AM »

I don't think you need the shadow, I like it with just ambience. You can portray a nicer sense of depth that way. Good luck! Smiley

twitter: @docky
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 05:27:52 AM »

Love this screenshot, makes me want to go play a big game (like okami which I need to finish). As for the lighting I like the shadows + ambient combo.

SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 06:58:52 AM »

I don't think you need the shadow, I like it with just ambience. You can portray a nicer sense of depth that way. Good luck! Smiley

so far its 50:50 for people who want the shadows or not, I can always bring thwe ambience up a bit and thin the shadows a little?

I guess it really comes down to the environment at the time, the whole game wont have solid sun, there will be overcast weather, night and other stuff too in other areas.

Love this screenshot, makes me want to go play a big game (like okami which I need to finish). As for the lighting I like the shadows + ambient combo.

Thanks, as for Okami you need to get on that, sure you need to play the game so far in before it stops feeling like zelda, but its totally worth it (I'm currently on my second playthrough trying to unlock everything)  Grin

oh, also I just gave Hyades (the main chara) a shadow if anyone cares:

its alot easier to tell where she will land when jumping now Smiley
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:07:58 AM by GirlFlash » Logged

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »

kind of looks like jet set radio. i like it.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 07:03:36 PM »

(seriously though, was there a need for the butt wiggling when shooting?)
Rather.
I think Capcom's idea is that if you give women guns it's okay to completely objectify them.
Capcom executive: "I mean, she's empowered, right? How is this not egalitarian?"
Roll Eyes

The lighting tests look promising. I'd have to see a larger environment to really know what I'd prefer, but certainly both ambient and cast shadows seem like they could work well with the style.

Regarding the shadow- drop shadows are definitely helpful, but that might clash a bit with whatever sort of lighting you use in the environments. But don't mind me, I'm totally OCD when it comes to things like this. Grin Keep up the good work.
medieval
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 03:33:01 AM »

This is looking very nice and like Ishi mentioned, the graphical style reminds me of Okami. Looking forward to more screenshots!
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 08:30:17 AM »

This looks very nice!

Hope this goes well!

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises