Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:01:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPhantasmal
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Phantasmal  (Read 15145 times)
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 03:15:16 PM »

Epic.

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 03:16:23 PM »

Hey this looks really awesome

TheDustin
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »

Kiss
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2010, 11:54:02 AM »

lol, thanks for the nice words and emotes guys :D

today's update: character hangs, game doesen't  Hand Metal LeftCheesyHand Metal Right

gonna take the weekend off for mini ludum dare if the 'theme' strikes me, but it might be hard to pull away from this project whilst I have such steam built up Smiley

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2010, 06:01:21 PM »

Wow, I haven't checked out this thread for a while, and it's looking great!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »

Who, Me? that look so great, and the sense of scale is awesome

By the way i don't know if you have fix that camera problem seen in the first video. Can i suggest a little tip? Use a linepick from the back of character to the camera. THis part is obvious but what is less obvious is that instead of moving the camera, move the near plane to the point of contact. Generally NEVER EVER use collision on the camera position but on the near clip plane. Add some extra check to be sure the plane does not cut geometry (generally this is handle by a collision sphere or box that scale with the plane as it change distance from the camera). THEN depending on the distance of the character to the near clip, adjust camera position accordingly to have a correct shot, it give the player a feedback that the camera is "stuck" on a wall. Rules of thumb is to have the closest shot at american framing (we don't see the feet and the knee).

Most game just use collision on the camera position, and you end up having a camera too much close, or the camera stuck behind geometry, or visual clutter with semitransparent abomination. Many high level commercial mainstream game fail at this!

I'm curious to know how you did handles "hang" Smiley

Keep up with the good work, that look great so far!

st33d
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2010, 09:35:04 AM »

Posting so I can follow this. Your games are generally pretty good, so I look forward to being able to have a go at this one.

Looks good so far, good luck with it.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2010, 09:45:54 AM »

great work  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

reminds me of the old ps/pc game "dreams to reality" especially the video...
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2010, 09:54:35 AM »

This game is beautiful.  Tears of Joy

I don't know what it is, but it has a certain charm that pushes my buttons.

Neat level design, although I can imagine you don't plan on keeping such an abstract theme forever.

One of the Beatles
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2010, 12:45:22 PM »

How did i not see this before? It looks great! The only thing I think should be different is the character's shadow, I think it should be harder.
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2010, 03:18:29 AM »

instead of moving the camera, move the near plane to the point of contact.

that is a brilliant idea! I'll be sure to play around with that once I have the time, thanks! :D

I'm curious to know how you did handles "hang" Smiley

well it just so happens I can draw diagrams, dont know if they are much help though:

hopefully you can decipher that, also I left it out but considerations need to be made for which side of the ledge the player is on, the local scale of the ledge and I think there were some rotation problems, but they were solved by measuring distance along the top of the ledge and not down the center of it.

once the player has grabbed of course shimmying along the ledge is simply a case of moving in the direction of the ledge's right by whatever the shimmy speed is.

I'll prolly add to this a bit so there is a check to see if theres a wall beneash the ledge so hyades can push her feet against it and shimmy faster too. Smiley

reminds me of the old ps/pc game "dreams to reality" especially the video...

ooh, I checked out a youtube video of that, I'll have to see if I cant get a play in sometime.

I can imagine you don't plan on keeping such an abstract theme forever.

well for the most part I didn't, *but* platforming in this level is much more fun than I thought, and my story allows me alot of licence to make the world how I want. so there will definitley be bits like this :D

The only thing I think should be different is the character's shadow, I think it should be harder.

yeah, that will likely change, even from area to area, and if I can sell enough pre-orders when the time comes to afford uinty pro (i'm prolly dreaming here) I'll have *proper* shadows Smiley

aaand because I dont like to make a post without a screenshot, here's a pic of a horrible 'burst wave thing' from doing an air dash that will likely change or get pulled:

I'd post something cooler but I havent added anything since last time since I was making a game for miniLD.

anyhoo, thanks for the comments and pointers guys, you're helping keep my motivation at 200% :D

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2010, 09:42:03 AM »

hopefully you can decipher that, also I left it out but considerations need to be made for which side of the ledge the player is on, the local scale of the ledge and I think there were some rotation problems, but they were solved by measuring distance along the top of the ledge and not down the center of it.

Thanks for the reply  Smiley  Hand Thumbs Up Right
I'm really looking for your game in the future!

So basically you tag the level with ledge object?

The reason i had asked I'm trying to gather all the neat trick about 3D platforming. Edge grab is largely undocumented on the web, but can't find a way to replicate 2 game with solid implementation: Mario 64 and zelda 64. They do not use Tag, just fed them with geometry and they work if appropriate.  Shocked I have yet to find something as solid as that! I will share any new discovery of any new trick.

SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »

They do not use Tag, just fed them with geometry and they work if appropriate.  Shocked I have yet to find something as solid as that! I will share any new discovery of any new trick.

I think it's pretty much the same approach but you cant cheat by just getting local space and transforming stuff, if I were to try I'd say cast a ray at the level sheet, check the normal angle to see if its facing up, check surrounding triangles to make sure its a ledge, and treat the edge of the triangle closest to the player as the ledge itself, and the direction to move along too.

you'd have to do a bit more juggling to make sure you want to treat it as a ledge but I imagine the principle is the same, and if it runs slow theres no reason you couldnt run a script to lay out ledges like I am using when the level is loaded based on the geometry. Smiley

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »

I use triggers and then raycasts, (with tags and stuff) not sure if it makes more sense or not though. Smiley

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2010, 02:25:19 PM »

@ Alec
Basically you have space partition with edge list you go through and project them onto the character (or the contrary) to see if they match the condition?

@ GirlFlash
So basically you run a preprocess that tag the level for you?

edit :
I have update an old thread with result of research about edge grab:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9571.msg344869#msg344869
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:59:23 PM by neoshaman » Logged

SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2010, 06:17:14 AM »

So basically you run a preprocess that tag the level for you?

I'm just saying that would be one way to do it if you didnt want to lay out the edges yourself and a whole level collision check was too expensive Smiley

I use triggers and then raycasts, (with tags and stuff) not sure if it makes more sense or not though. Smiley

I think it does, in unity trigger collisions are in most cases much cheaper than raycasts, when it comes optimising time I'll definitly be looking into doing trigger checks and before raycasts Smiley

anyhoo, in more hanging news, I have a different animation for overhangs and 'wall' hangs:

...well I say 'animation', what I mean is 'pose', I havent gotten round to making prototype animations for the hanging stuff yet ^_^;

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2010, 06:39:39 AM »

Thank you for the precision.

That's great what you have done so far, it give me great hope for my own project.

SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2010, 06:04:55 AM »

So recently I've been working on loading and unloading levels for when Hyades moves between different areas, and got bored so I made a portal type thing as the doorway graphic, of which there wont be anything of the like in the game lol, but meh, I guess I could squeeze some in if I feel like it later:

and also today I had a bash at coming up with idea concepts for the enemies:

(this is actually the second load of enemy concepts I've done, the first had enemies I think were 'too human'

if anyone cares, the crystals piercing the baddies are fragments of 'trouble', which is a plot device corrupting the world!

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2010, 06:33:01 AM »

Pretty awesome looking stuff! I'm looking forward to trying this. Smiley
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2010, 08:25:14 AM »

if anyone cares, the crystals piercing the baddies are fragments of 'trouble', which is a plot device corrupting the world!

sounds cool!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic