Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:20:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Wrath of Whispers (Supernatural Survival)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Wrath of Whispers (Supernatural Survival)  (Read 1261 times)
Breaking-Point-Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2022, 05:09:45 PM »

The Wrath of Whispers is a 1st person cooperative survival game set in a supernatural apocalypse. An ethereal fallout spreads, and spawns paranormal entities.

Survive the increasingly harsh seasons & fallout zones, live off the land & loot abandoned towns, make a home & become self-sufficient as the years become impossibly unforgiving. How long will you survive?

- This is the 4th Dev Diary for the project so I'd recommend checking out the site to catch up on all the info!

https://breakingpoint-interactive.com

Well.. got a few topics to cover in this post, starting with the name change, then I’ll go over some marketing and development stuff leading up to our first funding campaign and beyond. Also, Katie is back to work in health-care, working more hours than either of us have in a long time which means much more of my time will be dedicated to building this game with monthly videos and podcast episodes instead of DoorDashing!

The Game Title

The original name we came up with was Damsel; inspired by thoughts of being a damsel in distress if you’re separated from your friends, but recently we discovered another game already had the title and we somehow didn't notice till now. We spent awhile coming up with a list of dozens of alternate names with the help of the community and damn near every name we liked was taken already, so eventually we decided on The Wrath of Whispers. The name is a bit vague, fitting people's lack of understanding in regards to the apocalypse they're living through; a couple meanings behind it for a bit more context would be that everyone's enduring this wrath by supernatural beings and the fact that this apocalypse isn't playing out how any religion predicted, suggesting that if there was ever a deeper understanding of the paranormal, it was lost over thousands of years of rewritten texts.

Marketing & Development

I have to admit that I underestimated marketing. For a lot of the last month I’ve been focused on sharing info about our project on dozens of different sites and communities, and I still have a few profiles to update. I’ve wanted to make a variety of media content to share our progress and I'm almost at my personal milestone now that I’ve released some videos and a podcast which can be found on the Media page. Now for development I'm working on a lighthouse and dock location, along with a few more props over the next couple weeks; and finally getting into the habit of recording the work for videos along with building up some confidence to do an AMA livestream eventually. In the next week I should have the another DevCast out and I'm hoping in 2 weeks I'll have a quality YouTube video released to catch everyone up with the vision of our game as quick and thoroughly as possible.

By the time that video is ready I’ll have email drafts and a press release ready to send out about the IndieGoGo funding campaign; I imagine I’ll spend a good portion of that first week responding to people and sharing more information about the game. The second demo I’m hoping will be released before the end of the campaign but the scope has increased slightly since I want to include 4 character models for people to choose from for now, but there will eventually be many more presets and we’ll see how far we can take customization when we get there.

Our Funding Roadmap

I’ve been working on this supernatural survival concept in spare time since 2019 with a small break in 2020. We started talking about this project around 2016 and by 2019 most of the game was clear in our head. The Wrath of Whispers will be completed and additional content will be released even if we never receive funding; it might just take 10 years or so, but it’ll get there.

Now we’re hoping to gather enough interest so we can work full time until the base game is complete in maybe 2 or 3 years with plenty of early development demos to try.

This might go in several phases of funding. Right now we’re aiming for around $15,000 to work full time towards a more exciting proof of concept for everyone to try, which may get us greater funding opportunities so we can reach our main goal of working full time without compromises up to the launch of our game, then it can support us from there and we can give back to the community more.

There’s a couple things that could happen during this first campaign, either it goes wildly successful and we can leave the funding open and we don’t have to attempt another funding campaign and we may need to expand our stretch goals, or we’ll receive some funds that will help us towards that goal much faster but we’ll likely have to try another funding campaign once those funds are gone. No matter what though, we can’t wait to get each demo available to people however long it takes, and we’re looking forward to your feedback.

Check out our Pre-Launch page and Discord for access to upcoming pre-alpha builds of the game.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-wrath-of-whispers/coming_soon

https://discord.gg/dsFqq3JxER

The Wrath of Whispers is a dream project for us that we want to support and build on for decades, even making additions in our old age. I've had this deep passionate goal since around 2008 to create separate post-apocalyptic, sci-fi and fantasy franchises to perfect throughout my life as single games, no sequels just expansions and ports to new platforms. Even better this is a supernatural post-apocalyptic game that looks endless to me. Can’t wait until most of what’s in my head right now might be out in the world in a couple decades or so.
Breaking-Point-Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 09:39:26 PM »

In this latest Dev Diary for our supernatural survival game you'll find an overview of our features and goals moving forward!

https://breakingpoint-interactive.com/news/dev-diary-5

- Here's some highlights

The Wrath of Whispers is a 1st person cooperative survival game set in a supernatural apocalypse. The world became an endless Purgatory, where death will have you fighting your way out of Limbo as the world around you is consumed by cursed fallout zones and paranormal entities.

Survive the increasingly harsh seasons & fallout; live off the land & loot abandoned towns; make a home & become self-sufficient, as the years become impossibly unforgiving. How long will you survive?

Violent spirits may persist near their remains, demons stalk other dimensions and wendigos prowl forests and infest caverns.

Use abilities like astral projection to distract and lure spirits; and equipment to bind and banish creatures.

Fallout zones can have a variety of effects directly afflicting the player and every item in the area. Most types of fallout will have significant penalties on players that go in without wards.

Storms and flooding can destroy structures, quakes can collapse cliff sides and winter’s become unbearably cold.

The Survival game mode will have players test their endurance, with some games expected to last years in-game, while the Apocalypse game mode will rapidly intensify and peak with a world ending event.
mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 02:27:33 AM »

The game looks nice and the building mechanics seem clear. I think the main challenge will be the fierce competition in the genre; each game needs a catch to distinguish it from others. Perhaps you could emphasize the spiritual aspect even more. If well integrated with survival, those two could make an interesting and distinctive combination.

Is there a long-term goal, or is the purpose just to survive as long as possible? I myself like games with interim goals that pace the game and give small objectives to pursue (bosses in Valheim, regular horde nights in 7 Days to Die, …), but I know many others don’t.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
Breaking-Point-Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 04:03:30 AM »

I do intend to heavily emphasize the spiritual aspect from the creatures, cursed fallout zones, paranormal abilities, along with equipment and items useful for dealing with the supernatural elements. In the long term game mode the plan is that you should be able to maintain a home in most places, but either resources will run low for awhile in that area so you'd have to migrate around the map or the fallout zones move in along with more threats and you have the option to prepare wards and equipment to push into the fallout and destroy the source, making that area safer until an event causes another fallout there.

Unfortunately it's a ton of work to achieve this vision so it's still awhile away.
Breaking-Point-Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 04:11:17 AM »

Just launched our funding campaign on IndieGoGo. Hopefully soon we can work full time for at least a bit and get these next demos released finally!

IndieGoGo - https://igg.me/at/the-wrath-of-whispers/x/28560200#/

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 08:19:32 AM »

Nice, the best of luck for your IndieGoGo campaign!

Breaking-Point-Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 11:48:58 AM »

Thanks! I'm hoping it'll pick up a bit when I get some new progress images on the environment up in the next week or so, wish I was closer to showing some of the supernatural elements but they'll take a bit of time to be presentable after I finish this multiplayer demo.
Breaking-Point-Dev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 09:41:58 PM »

Wendigo Progress - Supernatural Survival Game - The Wrath of Whispers

When I launched our funding campaign I found myself annoyed not having progress to show on any supernatural elements of the game, so for the last couple weeks I’ve been designing a wendigo that’ll now be added to the third demo we have planned to release Q1 of next year. I'm spending a few more days on it to make sure it's game ready for when I can come back to it's AI and animation after the second demo launches.

The first of them appeared during a time of famine when a cold winter full of unsuccessful hunts led some to eat the snow, even against warnings from their elders. The snow numbed their lips so they hardly noticed when they began to enjoy the taste of their own flesh, some even eating their tongues. Once they began to cannibalize, a wendigo spirit would possess them giving them an uncontrollable hunger

I have some terrifying ideas in mind for how these things will sound; guttural noises when it’s idle and feasting, very human screams for help from a distance that become slightly distorted if you get closer as the cries for help turn to silence or a subtle demonic-like laughter before it begins to hunt you.

Check out the dev diary for details on the development process and more!

https://breakingpoint-interactive.com/news/twow-dev-diary-6

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic