Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1404747 Posts in 68420 Topics- by 62078 Members - Latest Member: Megafon

February 06, 2023, 01:51:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVR Podracer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: VR Podracer  (Read 999 times)
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2022, 09:38:48 AM »

Straight forward and simple VR Podracing game, although lets be honest, pod racing is actually sci-fi chariots.

Currently the production is just me on code, sound and design with art asset packs making up for the shortfall in team and budget. Targeting Oculus Quest 2 as my lowest end device and PC with or without VR. Currently lacking menus and AI competitors as major features. There's no combat or multiplayer either, however these will be explored as potentual features after creating an MVP.

I've got a more indepth video on how the first month of development has gone here in the link below

« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 06:33:36 AM by Bishop » Logged
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 08:19:28 AM »

Made a surprisingly large leap in functionality today with a simple but effective AI solution.

Rather than hand placing a few waypoints, I record every players race and chunk them into small sections. The AI chooses a new recording as soon as the old one runs out which lets me adapt the difficulty in a dynamic way and makes each race more varied. If the player is struggling, I can have the AI select slower recordings or use the best section time if the player is in a huge lead, with some randomness thrown in for that extra bit of spice.

Tac on some code to navigate towards a recording if the AI is misaligned, like at the start of a race or after being crashed into, and we get really impressive results for what was only a days work. We avoid the very difficult task of trying to write a system that can analyse all the undulating terrain and pick sensible routes, while also creating a form of multiplayer and I don't think we've lost anything we'd get from a traditional approach.

On the name front, I was thinking of "Hike", as it's what you shout at dogs while dog-sledding and I'd prefer to lean into dog-sledding / chariots as the theming, rather than "podracer" since podracers are just sci-fi chariots and I'd like to step away from being too closely associated with Star Wars. "Hike!" is the name of a board game though and "Hike VR" makes me expect a game about walking up hills. "Hyper Hike"? The aliteration is nice and SEO should be easy, not amazing but not terrible either.

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 04:18:11 AM »

Update #3

• Menus and death states have now been implemented. Screens exist for selecting vehicles, tracks and graphics settings
  • Frame rate has been improved around 20-40fps, a little annoying I've had to sink so much effort into performance given all the assets are low poly but given the high speed nature of the game a fluid feel is the most important aspect.
  • 6 vehicles are now in the game each with a unique feel.
  • 4 tracks have been started with 2 nearing completion

On my todo list before early access
  • vicory state screens.
  • finish some tracks
  • audio pass
  • VR controls (currently only keyboard is supported)
  • Some kind of tutorial system
  • Overhaul the cockpit and UI
  • music controls (haven't thought about)

Here's some gameplay footage of where it's at. Some slightly odd flicker in places where Unity's object culling goes overboard.

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 06:33:19 AM »

Update #4

Been working on content and finally getting to the stage where I can really apply a lot of polish and make the whole experience much smoother. All game states are done, players can start, quit, restart, lose and win races and there's 5 tracks complete enough to start getting player testing.

If you're interested in a deep dive, I've made a short video about several iterations of the same turning and how I'm trying to avoid overtly telling the player where to go and instead guiding their intuition.

Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 10:36:17 AM »

Update #5

Doing a bit of trailer making practice

I like not front loading the video with needless studio names or general text and instead jumping straight into it. Thought I should use soft wipes to give it a star wars sci fi feel but they're a bit slow (only used on the logo in the middle). Isn't obviously a vr game and only shows one track but I like the idea of putting the game name into the middle of the trailer, so if I make a 1:30 version I could put the title in at 30 seconds and those who stick around longer see some more tracks and variety to hopefully combine the benefits for shorter and longer trailers in one but in this practice version it's maybe a little off?

Also fairly settled on the name Cable Wing Racing. I actually got it as a suggestion from ChatGPT and it's better than "hyper hike" which is what I was calling it before hand.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic