Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1401615 Posts in 67931 Topics- by 61478 Members - Latest Member: clubcana

July 02, 2022, 04:06:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBrick Away - Casual brick breaker/puzzle, browser, mouse only
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Brick Away - Casual brick breaker/puzzle, browser, mouse only  (Read 521 times)
LuckyLactose
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2022, 11:49:51 AM »

Link
https://luckylactose.itch.io/brick-away

Description
Brick Away is a casual brick breaker/puzzle game, currently WIP.
Most of the features are implemented (unless I feature creep).
Various polish is still on the todo list -- better graphics, particles, difficulty tweaking, etc.

Session Play Time
2 - 10 minutes.

Feedback Wanted
Any! Gentleman

LuckyLactose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 11:26:45 AM »

New update is now live, featuring a complete overhaul of the powerup system.
Like before, powerups can be obtained when they spawn in the levels. Now, they can also be bought using gold (in-game currency only, no MTX!).

In addition, different powerups can now be stacked, leading to some fairly heavy-duty brick-breaking efficiency Smiley

Some features are still planned and being worked on, before I will shift over to a more pure polish/bug fixing phase. This will also include some graphics made by actual professionals  Shocked
DarkGran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 02:56:56 PM »

Hi!
Played your game and I really like it, aiming the balls reminds me of billiard (always liked that, and everything similar), yet the game feels original. Good job. :)

Few notes:
- I like the gameplay but the visuals are a bit strange to me. The rocky background (which is actually nice otherwise) and the ball effect make it look like the balls are tunneling through the solid rock? Through which something is falling... the bricks. Why bricks? xD Oh actually I remember some old games with colorful bricks falling from the sky, so I do get that. The rock tunneling though... :P
- All games where you aim balls (and bouncing them against walls), be it billiard or Bubble Shooter, offer trajectories that include the wall bounce; that would be really nice to have. ;)
- On my last run I wanted to try the powerups, so I bought the "balls will bounce off red once" or whats-it-called, unfortunately it didn't work (seemed like I bought it, the balls just acted like before).

Good luck. :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 03:02:00 PM by DarkGran » Logged
LuckyLactose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 04:59:30 PM »

Hey, thanks for the feedback! Fun to hear from someone outside the "we have to be polite because we know you" group!

1. Graphics: Graphics will hopefully be replaced in the next major update (ETA unsure, I'm in the middle of moving!). That said, I never actually saw it the way you described with the current graphics, so that's super interesting. I've always seen it as a bird's-eye/top-down view abstract thing, not vertical with falling down. Interesting! Will definitely keep in mind for when I get final graphics. Bricks magically appearing will most likely stay, though, although they might look better doing it :D

2. Trajectory preview: I might try to add bounce trajectories here. Maybe limited by a max trajectory length or something,   becoming more and more invisible the farther away from the launch point it is... Added to my TODO list.

3. This one I believe might just be too much visual clutter/chaos with too much stuff happening. Testing it now it definitely worked as expected in my case. There might obviously be some intermittent bug, though. But even if it is only visual clutter obscuring things, it makes the powerup feel useless. Will have to investigate further and fix/improve this.
xz_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 05:03:59 AM »

Really great concept for a brick breaker, my main gameplay feedback is that playing with mouse it was really strange sometimes when I would try to click and drag from the middle of the screen (which is more natural than from the position of the ball). I think this part could be improved, how the game judges the arc from your input. It would bug out sometimes and the arc would disappear.

Also I wasn't sure why but the visuals were very choppy. It's so satisfying to watch game objects move smoothly, so on my screen when it basically moved in a jerky fashion that took me out of it a bit. But great game concept, fun to play.
LuckyLactose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 07:50:09 AM »

Really great concept for a brick breaker, my main gameplay feedback is that playing with mouse it was really strange sometimes when I would try to click and drag from the middle of the screen (which is more natural than from the position of the ball). I think this part could be improved, how the game judges the arc from your input. It would bug out sometimes and the arc would disappear.

Also I wasn't sure why but the visuals were very choppy. It's so satisfying to watch game objects move smoothly, so on my screen when it basically moved in a jerky fashion that took me out of it a bit. But great game concept, fun to play.
Hm, do you mind me asking what browser you are using? And general specs if you don't mind Smiley

For the launch input, I'll look into maybe adding a virtual joystick indicator or similar. This could improve the user experience in terms of what's going on, and also maybe help track down/visualise any potential bugs. Added to my TODO list Smiley
jbarrios
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 01:30:10 PM »

Hey LuckyLactose,

I played your game

xz_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 07:34:01 AM »

Hm, do you mind me asking what browser you are using? And general specs if you don't mind Smiley

For the launch input, I'll look into maybe adding a virtual joystick indicator or similar. This could improve the user experience in terms of what's going on, and also maybe help track down/visualise any potential bugs. Added to my TODO list Smiley

I'm on Chrome on a modern PC! Windows 10, and my specs should obliterate any 2-dimensional game like a brick breaker. Glad to hear that it is on my end though.

But just in case, I will clarify: the animations (like of the spinning extra ball near the bricks) are fine, but the actual ball movement is just too fast to look smooth. So it looks like it jumps from one position to another. It may be that it's actually not jerky, but rather moving so fast that it doesn't appear smooth like I would expect it to. For example, in your demonstrational graphic in your OP - it looks like the ball just stops at each of those points rather than smoothly travelling between them. I hope that description helps.

EDIT: Oh, it looks exactly like on jbarrios' video. That is what I mean.
LuckyLactose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 09:45:05 AM »

Hey LuckyLactose,

I played your game

Thanks, replied to you comment over on itch.io just now Smiley

I'm on Chrome on a modern PC! Windows 10, and my specs should obliterate any 2-dimensional game like a brick breaker. Glad to hear that it is on my end though.

But just in case, I will clarify: the animations (like of the spinning extra ball near the bricks) are fine, but the actual ball movement is just too fast to look smooth. So it looks like it jumps from one position to another. It may be that it's actually not jerky, but rather moving so fast that it doesn't appear smooth like I would expect it to. For example, in your demonstrational graphic in your OP - it looks like the ball just stops at each of those points rather than smoothly travelling between them. I hope that description helps.

EDIT: Oh, it looks exactly like on jbarrios' video. That is what I mean.
Really strange. Shouldn't be like that (and even in jbarrios' video, it's greatly improved in the latter part of the video). Will have to investigate what's going on. Thanks for the report and specs Smiley
geo
Level 0

Indie dev from Austria (kamgam.com)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 11:53:49 AM »

Really like the concept. I made it to blocks of 100+ health.

* I like the concept a lot. Nice take on breakout.
* I had a little trouble aiming. Maybe just make it always aim at the cursor would be easier.
* Once you get to the higher HP blocks (like 50+) it takes quite some time to break them. I had to wait longer than before. Maybe you can scale them down again once the blocks reach high HP values. Like dividing all blocks (any the players balls) by 10 once the blocks reach the 100 range. That would bring it back down to 10. You could change the color/art to indicate that these are now "better" blocks.
* At some point (80+) it felt like defeat was inevitable.
* I did not understand what the other items do (purple stars, ..). Are those for points?

It was fun, please keep developing this  Toast Right
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 11:59:42 AM by geo » Logged

Find out more about me and my games on https://kamgam.com
ZeroP
Level 0

Time is a social construct

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 03:32:19 PM »

It was pretty fun.

I didn't realize what the gems did until I watched the video in this thread.
(I assume they give you a free power up.)
I also didn't realize you could trigger multiple power-ups at the same time.
If I knew that maybe I could get past 80s in high score.

I feel like the more damage powerup is the better choice of upgrade 90% of the time,
even though it's less satisfying than the other powerups.

I assume there are no sound effects or music yet.
I can only imagine how crazy sound effects would be if a sound played every time the balls hit a brick.

Hope you keep updating it. Blink
LuckyLactose
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 07:18:57 AM »

Really like the concept. I made it to blocks of 100+ health.

* I like the concept a lot. Nice take on breakout.
* I had a little trouble aiming. Maybe just make it always aim at the cursor would be easier.
* Once you get to the higher HP blocks (like 50+) it takes quite some time to break them. I had to wait longer than before. Maybe you can scale them down again once the blocks reach high HP values. Like dividing all blocks (any the players balls) by 10 once the blocks reach the 100 range. That would bring it back down to 10. You could change the color/art to indicate that these are now "better" blocks.
* At some point (80+) it felt like defeat was inevitable.
* I did not understand what the other items do (purple stars, ..). Are those for points?

It was fun, please keep developing this  Toast Right
Thanks for the feedback, cool to hear you thought it was fun!
I kinda agree with it taking a long time after a while. Not sure how I want to address it for now, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind.
Good suggestion on aiming. I've been developing it with releasing on phones in mind, but I can definitely add just straight cursor aiming on PC and have the current aiming for mobile devices when I get around to it.
The items award free powerups. Everything involving powerups is super-badly explained and in a very rough state right now, sorry Waaagh!
With the use of powerups, getting an even higher score is definitely possible!

Development is currently on hold since I'm in the middle of moving in to a new place. Hoping to resume working on this after things have settled a bit!

It was pretty fun.

I didn't realize what the gems did until I watched the video in this thread.
(I assume they give you a free power up.)
I also didn't realize you could trigger multiple power-ups at the same time.
If I knew that maybe I could get past 80s in high score.

I feel like the more damage powerup is the better choice of upgrade 90% of the time,
even though it's less satisfying than the other powerups.

I assume there are no sound effects or music yet.
I can only imagine how crazy sound effects would be if a sound played every time the balls hit a brick.

Hope you keep updating it. Blink
Glad you liked it!
Yeah, sorry again about confusing and badly explained powerups Waaagh!

Sound & music are on the todo list. Like you mention, I have to be careful with what I do there to avoid complete sound chaos...
I also plan on updating the graphics to something a lot better once I find time to source some more fitting artwork Smiley

No ETA on updates (see above for why), but the project isn't forgotten and I fully intend to make it a lot more polished when I'm able to.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic