Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:39:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSolar Survivor - 360 space shmup with planets
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Solar Survivor - 360 space shmup with planets  (Read 1402 times)
rasha
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2022, 11:19:18 AM »

Hey there,

I am currently working on Solar Survivor, and I am looking for some feedback on the gameplay specifically. At the moment I am doing daily development on the game and I want to start bedding down the core mechanics, with your help of course!

I'm trying to also do something kinda unique in the space shmup genre, let me know what you think of the current state of the mechanic.

The goal at the moment is to release this on Steam by May 2023, so I am looking for gameplay feedback now to know whether this is the redirection I'm going on. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to play and feedback on it!

You can play it there: https://nicok.itch.io/solar-survivor

https://youtu.be/FwaupzQaYCI

Playable link (PC Web): https://nicok.itch.io/solar-survivor
LinsonLime
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 02:39:30 PM »

Hey Rasha! I tried out your game, and here are some takeaways I had from my session.

I'm not super experienced in the space shmup genre, so this might just be one of the things you get used to while playing them, but the controls were a bit too slippery for my tastes. It was very difficult to activate the planet's abilities while avoiding enemies.

It took a while for me to figure out what the lights coming out of the planets meant, but overall I liked the idea of the planet ability mechanic. While it's a bit barebones now, I think expanding on it could lead to some interesting gameplay scenarios.

This isn't related to gameplay, but the sounds that play when the planet's abilities activate seem to vary in volume, and the first time it played it was extremely loud and hurt my ears. I'd suggest fixing that when you can.

I'm excited to see how the game progresses! Best of luck with development.

rasha
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 09:17:22 PM »

Hey there! Thanks for taking the time to play the game and give your feedback here!

What do you think could be one thing to make the movement better for new players? Should the ship stop faster perhaps? Make the turning rate faster? Did you get into trouble while being close to the planets with the enemies there on a regular basis?

I'm glad you like the planet ability mechanic. It seems all around this mechanic is received well, and usually with the same feedback that you gave as well - it's a little clunky/confusing at first, took me a while to figure out the lights etc. So I'll see if I can simplify it a bit and make it clearer what's happening. Thanks!

Don't worry, I'll make sure to go through all the sounds and normalise them, I also get supper annoyed when some sounds in a game are waay louder than others, so sorry about your ears!

Again, thank you for the feedback, it really is appreciated.
LinsonLime
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 06:45:25 AM »

I definitely think increasing the ship's friction just a little would help the controls feel a bit tighter, but I'd suggest maybe lowering the turning rad just a tad. The current speed at which the ship turns is actually a bit quick for my liking. It usually requires me to feather my input keys to avoid ramming into the planets as I try to circle them. I'd say try tinkering with the ship's turning speed to find a nice middle ground where it's fast enough as to not feel sluggish, but not too fast as to be imprecise to handle.

rasha
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 10:06:30 PM »

Hi there,
Thanks to everyone who played and gave feedback previously, I really try to listen and take onboard all feedback. I know it takes time to play these games and I really do appreciate anyone taking the time to actually play and especially leave some thoughts in the comments.

I've made some big changes to the upgrades and general gameplay, and would really appreciate anyone who can take a look and let me know what they think

You can play it here on Desktop Web: https://nicok.itch.io/solar-survivor

You can play it here on Desktop Web: https://nicok.itch.io/solar-survivor

Thanks!
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 01:11:21 PM »

Hey rasha,

I played your game:

rasha
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 12:22:48 AM »

Hey rasha,

I played your game:

Just amazing man, thanks so much. As I commented on the youtube there appreciate your time so so much, and the fact you made a video with your thoughts is just fantastic! Great feedback!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic