Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:22:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCatoise - Portals, Platforms and Puzzles
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Catoise - Portals, Platforms and Puzzles  (Read 2116 times)
PoRtCuLLiS
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2022, 11:37:58 AM »

Hello guys. I'm hoping someone will try out my game Catoise.

Windows build available here: https://catoise.itch.io/catoise

It's a 2D puzzle platformer with a cartoon style of graphics. The main character Catoise has crashed on a strange planet and has to collect a bunch of broken parts to rebuild the ship and fly home again. If you know the game "Portal", I have taken some inspiration from that for the mechanics. I'll add some screens below.

All feedback welcome, almost nobody has played it so far. I'm especially interested in:

- Game breaking bugs or bad performance issues
- Bad level design (if you get stuck somewhere or unsure how to continue)

Best regards!
Rob
flowerthief
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 05:10:43 AM »

It's mind-boggling than in a community like this where so many people list Portal 1 & 2 as among their favorite games of all-time that no one is playing this!

So far I like it, but I'm stuck at the end of level 2. No idea how to get to that exit. It seems the portal walls must be part of the solution somehow. Having a turtle shell makes me think of Super Mario Bros koopas and wonder if there's a way to slide down the slope like a koopa shell into the portal and out the other side, but if there is I can't figure out how it's done. Nor does it seem possible to bring the springboard over there. I found a driver's license and an item in an illusory wall, but if they're part of the solution I don't know how to use them.

Since the game becomes challenging early I know it's gonna be a great brain-teaser and I want to see more.

One suggestion. Is it not possible to make the portals level with the ground so that you can walk through them and not always have to jump through?
PoRtCuLLiS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 09:49:34 AM »

One suggestion. Is it not possible to make the portals level with the ground so that you can walk through them and not always have to jump through?

@flowerthief thank you so much for trying the game out! Smiley

The portals are supposed to be level with the ground so that you can just walk through smoothly like you suggest, the fact that you can't do that indicates a bug - I will try to fix asap. This same bug might be what's preventing you from beating level 2, if the large stone/ramp thing won't drag into the portal then the level can't be done.

*update* - I have uploaded a new build to itch.io that I hope fixes this bug.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 03:12:30 AM by PoRtCuLLiS » Logged
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 01:10:38 PM »

Hey Portcullis,

I played your game:

PoRtCuLLiS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 03:20:10 PM »

Thanks Justin, your videos are super useful. Sorry you ran into such a bad bug right at the beginning! Facepalm I've attempted a fix in the latest build.
PoRtCuLLiS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 09:02:33 AM »

Hello guys. The full game of Catoise is now in Steam Playtest.

If you want to join the playtest click the button on https://store.steampowered.com/app/1856130

Rob  Panda
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic