Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:24:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBoots Quest DX - a humorous exploration adventure
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Boots Quest DX - a humorous exploration adventure  (Read 1401 times)
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2022, 06:55:36 AM »

hello everyone. i don't know if anyone here remembers me; i've been away from game development for some years for creative and mental health reasons. but at the beginning of last year i tried out a new tool, made a few quick prototypes, and suddenly i was making games again. over the last ~15 months, off and on, i put this thing together in GameMaker, and it's become the first quasi-full length game i've ever made.

BOOTS QUEST DX

the adventure a creature who dreams of finding the best boots in the universe, and will pursue them to the ends of the earth, and perhaps even beyond...

ok, what is it?

it's a light adventure game, sort of a zelda-like but just dialog, quests, exploration, and little environment puzzles, no dungeons or combat. it's also an rpg parody, sort of. some games that inspired it are Space Funeral, The Real Texas, A Short Hike, and various Zeldas, Ultima games, SCUMM point-and-clicks, and other detritus of my youth.

ok, how do i play it?

link: itch.io

there's some info about controls on that page, but basically keyboard and gamepad are supported.

the windows build works, the html5 build works but is kinda laggy, the mac build works but definitely needs some testing on M1/M2 computers if anyone is able. the full game is maybe 2-4 hours to complete depending on how many side quests you wanna do, but playing any amount of it at all would be welcome.

it's already playable from beginning to end, but i'm in the phase of adding little things, polishing, and gathering feedback and suggestions that might make it better. i would be very grateful for the input of anyone here who would like to play it! i am proud of it, but i know it is rough and weird in some ways and i would like to make it better.

thank you so much!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 05:35:01 AM by Brother Android » Logged

roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 08:46:52 PM »

I like the idea, the visual effects, sound effects and music. The way it teaches controls is good. I was a bit disappointed when I got the music book for the banjo guy that he didn't play me a song.

After switching tabs in the browser and going back, the game froze (although I can still hear the background ambience). After refreshing the tab it starts right from the beginning - it should save your state in local storage so you can choose to continue

Is there a way to increase the game size? it would really be cool to allow fullscreen, and widescreen too if possible.

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 06:45:18 AM »

I like the idea, the visual effects, sound effects and music. The way it teaches controls is good. I was a bit disappointed when I got the music book for the banjo guy that he didn't play me a song.

After switching tabs in the browser and going back, the game froze (although I can still hear the background ambience). After refreshing the tab it starts right from the beginning - it should save your state in local storage so you can choose to continue

Is there a way to increase the game size? it would really be cool to allow fullscreen, and widescreen too if possible.

Thanks so much for your feedback! It would be cute to have a little song in there, I'll see if I can add that.

I haven't encountered this issue with switching tabs; which browser was this? Re: saving, the game will auto-load your save if you manually save via the ESC menu, but it doesn't currently autosave. I've added an autosave feature for the next build.

The downloadable builds do support some scaling/fullscreen features, which I'm working on improving as well. I still need to do some research to get them working in the browser. I don't know if I can support widescreen since the game has been built from the start around a square aspect ratio, but I may be able to find a way.

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 01:06:33 PM »

Hey Brother Android,

I played your game:

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 08:32:24 AM »

Thanks so much, jbarrios! That was a great video. It's so helpful to see real-time reactions to something like this, so it's really kind of you to take the time to record your experience! Thanks for your kind words about the art and writing, and I'll try to address some of the confusion and annoyances you ran into.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic