Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:58:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHop and Bop - Nostalgic retro platformer in 16 colors
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hop and Bop - Nostalgic retro platformer in 16 colors  (Read 2294 times)
MushroomTip
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2022, 08:19:46 PM »

Hi! Hope everyone is doing smashing! I am a helper for the independent game studio Flip Industries and looking to collect feedback on the first stage of Hop and Bop. Flip Industries makes their games for a hobby and creative outlet. Please help them with play testing Hop and Bop.

Play Hop and Bop
(opens a new tab to Flip Industries site to play)

* details below taken from the Flip Industries site *

Plot
You wake up under a bush with no memory or recollection of what occurred. You feel cold and your mind is fuzzy. You know that you must explore this world. It feels familiar, yet somehow you know the inhabitants are hostile. Have you always been a rabbit? How did you get here, why are you here? You must push forward in order to get the answers you seek. Challenges certainly await you, along with tough foes. What will you find at the end of the rabbit hole?

About
Hop and Bop is an action style platform game and was developed by Flip Industries. Featuring “8-bit” NES style graphics using a total of 16 colors and addictive chip tunes produced by JMF. An editor allows you to create your very own custom areas and publish them for all the world to play. Fans of the NES and Super Mario Bros. just might find something they like with Hop and Bop.

Motivation
Hop and Bop was originally developed to create a generic platform game engine for Flash. To apply limits similar to those on 8-bit systems such as the NES, it was decided that a total of 16 colors, specifically the DB16 Palette, would be used throughout the entire game. It was also decided that a tile-based rendering system would be used and the resolution was set to 256 pixels wide by 240 pixels tall. Likewise, the music would be chip-tunes and produced with PxTone and the sound effects 8-bit in nature. Unfortunately, Flash was ultimately euthanized in January of 2021 and Hop and Bop was then ported over to JavaScript.

Screenshots

Editor
Want to play it your way? Use the editor to make your own areas exactly the way you want them. Come up with anything good, you can upload it for all the world to play! Now you are making with power!

The game and editor are free to use via any web browser! Please let us know your general feedback on the first stage and editor as well as any suggestions!
 Beer! Chears
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 10:48:10 PM by MushroomTip » Logged
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 04:41:26 PM »

Checked this out for a few minutes, got a game over in the last level of the first world just due to getting used to the physics. It's a nice Mario clone. Here are a few thoughts I had:

- I like the way the graphics use the idea of putting faces on background elements, etc. It's clearly referential of Mario but the way it's done feels very playful.

- I think there could be a clearer differentiation between foreground and background items, as it didn't feel clear what elements were platforms; maybe a lighter colored outline or lower-contrast colors for the background elements would help.

- The levels feel like they could use more verticality. Maybe they get more complex as the game goes on but they seem a bit empty right now.

- It seems strange to me that the invincibility power doesn't allow picking up collectibles anymore. It's something the player has to go out of their way for so it would be nice if it didn't seem to punish the player in this way.

- The level editor feels very easy to use, nice job on it!

roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 10:52:23 PM »

Hi,

Nice game, I like the music! it would be even better if it repeated seamlessly without a gap. SFX are great.

I know it's a classic game, but it would be good to support widescreen resolution.

Teaching the controls through a javascript alert is a big turn off and forces the user to memorize them all. It would be good to teach the controls in the first few levels in a seamless way.

Some particle effects when collecting pickups would be good.

Death takes you right to the beginning of the level. You should be taught in advance what kills you so you don't get frustrated at having to start again.

MushroomTip
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 05:35:04 AM »

Checked this out for a few minutes, got a game over in the last level of the first world just due to getting used to the physics. It's a nice Mario clone. Here are a few thoughts I had:

- I like the way the graphics use the idea of putting faces on background elements, etc. It's clearly referential of Mario but the way it's done feels very playful.

- I think there could be a clearer differentiation between foreground and background items, as it didn't feel clear what elements were platforms; maybe a lighter colored outline or lower-contrast colors for the background elements would help.

- The levels feel like they could use more verticality. Maybe they get more complex as the game goes on but they seem a bit empty right now.

- It seems strange to me that the invincibility power doesn't allow picking up collectibles anymore. It's something the player has to go out of their way for so it would be nice if it didn't seem to punish the player in this way.

- The level editor feels very easy to use, nice job on it!

Thank you very much for play testing and for the valuable feedback! This will all be considered for future versions. On the vertical point, they plan to include a sky and underground layer in the future, it just has not yet been implemented.

Would you like to be notified of updates going forward?
MushroomTip
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 05:38:32 AM »

Hi,

Nice game, I like the music! it would be even better if it repeated seamlessly without a gap. SFX are great.

I know it's a classic game, but it would be good to support widescreen resolution.

Teaching the controls through a javascript alert is a big turn off and forces the user to memorize them all. It would be good to teach the controls in the first few levels in a seamless way.

Death takes you right to the beginning of the level. You should be taught in advance what kills you so you don't get frustrated at having to start again.

Thank you very much for play testing and for the valuable feedback! This will all be considered for future versions. The background music should seamlessly loop and there should not be any gap, this is unexpected behavior. Any details you are comfortable sharing on the system / browser used, what tracks have this issue, and possibly even a video demonstrating the gap?

roland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 11:21:04 PM »

Hi,

Thank you very much for play testing and for the valuable feedback! This will all be considered for future versions. The background music should seamlessly loop and there should not be any gap, this is unexpected behavior. Any details you are comfortable sharing on the system / browser used, what tracks have this issue, and possibly even a video demonstrating the gap?

I observed this in the menu theme before clicking start, on Chrome (Latest, Windows 11)

No notifications please. I'm glad the feedback is valuable.

MushroomTip
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 06:08:35 AM »

Thank you roland, that was super helpful! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend so far!

Hand Clap    Gomez    Hand Clap
MushroomTip
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 07:25:59 PM »

A new version has been posted and it has a virtual controller! So now you can play with a mobile phone or the like!

It would be wonderful to test how the virtual controller works because it seems there is alot of differences between browsers and OS and all.

Hope everyone is doing really excellent!!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic