Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:15:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Networking
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Networking  (Read 2366 times)
NilGAYman
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2022, 02:01:33 PM »

I've been trying to learn networking in general to implement it into future projects. One thing im not able to wrap my head around is what the sequence number and acknowledgment number are used for in the TCP protocol. pls help!
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 07:48:25 PM »

Sequence number is used track how many bytes have been sent over the TCP connection. Ack is basically the response from the other end on how many bytes it got so far.

Say we have two parties A and B. A is sending data to B. A would send over a sequence number X, and an amount of data that will be sent is Y. Therefor the segment to send will be represented by starting at sequence X and ending at X + Y. Whenever B gets some data it will respond with ack number of X + Z, where Z is how much data is has gotten so far. When Z equals Y, then A knows all of the segment was sent.

This happens bi-directionally, so both sides A and B can send sequence numbers and receive ack numbers.
NilGAYman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 06:04:49 AM »

Oh thank you! Quick question here, is there any resources I can use that are more complete than wikipedia articles. Ive tried finding information about what kind of protocols typically run on a LAN. And how it works in more depth. Thank you.

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 12:25:05 AM »

Usually there's just TCP or UDP, and then sometimes people make custom protocols over those. Another popular one is the TLS protocol, which opens up a secure tunnel to pass bytes back and forth, usually done over TCP. TLS security is what's mostly used for HTTPS, where S is the secure part. Traditionally HTTP goes over TCP.

For games I think the important ones to try learning about are UDP, TCP, and HTTP. I would try looking up some videos on youtube. Tons of people make good videos. I don't have a recommendation as I learned about these things a while ago, but I'm sure you can find some good ones you like. You can also ask specific questions here.
NilGAYman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 06:38:28 AM »

thank you for the info
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic