Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 11:18:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Ouroboros King, a chess roguelike
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Ouroboros King, a chess roguelike  (Read 562 times)
OriolCosp
Level 0

Data Scientist by day, game dev by night

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2022, 01:07:55 PM »

During the last months, I’ve been working on a chess roguelike game: the Ouroboros King. I’m trying to do with chess what Slay the Spire did with card games.

I’ve finally released the first version of the Ouroboros King, you can play it on itch. All constructive feedback is welcome.

This first version contains the following elements:
- A procedurally generated map a la Slay the Spire
- An army management system, so you can change your piece formation
- A combat system, that is basically chess with some variations (doesn’t tell you when you’re in check, kings can be captured, new pieces are available)
- An event system, where you can upgrade your army and recruit new pieces after winning a combat

However, it’s still lacking many elements that I want to incorporate into the game:
- An item system, with consumable combat bonuses
- A relic system, with permanent bonuses
- A dialog system and lore descriptions to tell the game’s story (similarly to how the Souls series or Hollow Knight tell their stories)
- Many extra alternative chess pieces, to add more variety
- Battlefield modifications, such as rocks that block movement
- 2 extra stages with boss fights at the end (this release includes only the 1st stage)
- Endgame difficulty options and unlockables to extend the game’s life
- Background music
Many of them will make it to the free demo, and the rest will be available on the final version that I plan to release on steam.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 07:38:50 PM »

What a cool concept! I dabbled a bit on the itch demo (got whooped on the first battle haha) and will definitely keep an eye on this.

Kashdan Music
Level 0

Composer for Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 06:15:51 AM »

Hey Oriol feel free to DM me if you require some bgm I've worked on Tactics games like this before Smiley my site is https://www.kashdanmusic.com/ if you want to browse I'm fairly versatile
OriolCosp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 09:16:29 AM »

What a cool concept! I dabbled a bit on the itch demo (got whooped on the first battle haha) and will definitely keep an eye on this.
Thanks, oldblod, glad you liked it!

Hey Oriol feel free to DM me if you require some bgm I've worked on Tactics games like this before Smiley my site is https://www.kashdanmusic.com/ if you want to browse I'm fairly versatile
Thanks for the offering, but my brother is also a musician and is taking care of the soundtrack for now.

Next week I'll try to post a status update, as lately I've had a lot of time to work on the game.
OriolCosp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 10:45:08 PM »

Hi everyone, as promised here's what I've added in the previous weeks:
  • Relics, some of which affect combat and others affect army upgrades
  • The item system, including gold rewards for winning battles and a shop
  • Many new pieces: portal mage, immortal, cardinal, pawn, and fool
  • Rocks that block unit movement during combat
  • A soundtrack, composed by my brother Licus
  • A difficulty system to make sure everyone can enjoy the game
  • Quality of life improvements to the initial army and map system, making sure you’re not shown too many new units at the same time and you always have relevant options on the map

With all of this, I am very happy with the demo in terms of gameplay. But there are still many visual improvements that I'd like to add, mainly animations to improve the game's juice.

During the following weeks I'll focus on trying to market the demo to get some feedback and hopefully some wishlists.

You can try the demo for free on itch: https://oriolcosp.itch.io/the-ouroboros-king
And wishlist the game on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2096510/The_Ouroboros_King/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic