Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:09:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsXanadu Live - Formerly "Game about towers."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Xanadu Live - Formerly "Game about towers."  (Read 8355 times)
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2023, 08:13:40 AM »

So that's the thing, it seems like most people hate these characters: I'm thinking you have to smack the crap out of them both for personal satisfaction and also to have them fall in line with your civilization, since I'm getting the vibe that everyone hates them lol.

[email protected]
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2023, 08:19:18 AM »

They can be like the sand people. Enslave the stupid pink stars, cut off their little star limbs (they'll grow them back) and make them turn the big wheel while admiring your sexy Harkonnen body in the mirror.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2023, 08:19:43 AM »

What if there was Dune with just Harkonnen, and they went on whismsical fascist space adventures?

[email protected]
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2023, 08:20:47 AM »

If everyone's an asshole, that's just normal people.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2023, 08:23:54 AM »

I do like this idea: I had a game I was working on called "SPACE BOSS" where your goal was to enslave all timelines and realities, maybe that's the back story of the player characters of Xanadu: you are the SPACE BOSS a sort of Kublah Kahn type dictator who wants to enslave the galaxy, and when you reach Xanadu you have to oversee its colonization personally. Then the Matchy Stars show up and all hell breaks loose. LOL

[email protected]
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2023, 08:26:47 AM »

The Matchy Stars look like helpless babies to me. As soon as they showed up, they'd get smacked down and join the legions of sand slaves after pleasuring the space boss.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2023, 08:27:02 AM »

Edit: These are some mockups for the 4x game Space Boss, no I don't want to make Xanadu Live a 4x space game, the idea is that perhaps this universe of numbers and cold cold space is where the players of Xanadu Live come from.

"IS THERE LIFE ON MARS?!?" - Some guy named David.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 08:35:12 AM by michaelplzno » Logged

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2023, 08:28:47 AM »

Don't count the Matchy Stars out, they have the power of friendship and enthusiasm. Perhaps enough to grow the cold heart of a space boss THREE SIZES.

[email protected]
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2023, 08:30:23 AM »

Don't count the Matchy Stars out, they have the power of friendship and enthusiasm. Perhaps enough to grow the cold heart of a space boss THREE SIZES.
I like that idea. They can be warriors of love like Barbarella.

Also I would lose the 4X mechanics or whatever I'm looking at in the post above. Too many numbers and the graphics aren't much to look at.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2023, 08:32:12 AM »

Title treatment for space boss. From the old days. The opening was supposed to be a planet begging for freedom in an epic speech and then the space boss coldly pushing a button which turns on the windshield wipers of the ship, then in a wave of anger pressing the DESTROY PLANET button.

I don't want to make a 4X space game anymore, (or at least for this project) it can just be the universe that the player comes from, like for some reason Xanadu is a problem customer for colonization.

[email protected]
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2023, 08:35:19 AM »

Sure, there's the broad strokes. Does the space boss come from a race or lineage of space bosses like the Kennedys?
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2023, 08:42:10 AM »

lol,

I think Kublah Kahn came from a lineage, as well as that space princess from Dune, so I think its a fair assumption.

[email protected]
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2023, 08:44:48 AM »

Cool. It's even better if all the space bosses bathe together in oil. You know, to deflect space radiation. Gotta protect the skin!

Working on concept art.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 08:53:09 AM by mse » Logged
[email protected]
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2023, 09:08:26 AM »

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2023, 09:19:55 AM »

Thanks MSE for this enlightening discussion.

Character Sheet:

Player Character ->

Comes from a lineage of elite "Space Bosses" who control the universe in a hedonistic way like Kublah Kahn, the Spaceballs, Harkonnen from Dune or, lmao, the Kennedy's, you are essentially a space princess or prince who is destine to control the fate of the universe. To save money on production, you spend most of your time in your command vehicle, a badass space truck that you ride around the Surface of Xanadu.

Command Vehicle ->

EVERYBODY GOT THAT?!? JUST GO.

The Planet Xanadu ->

A problem customer for colonization, for some reason it exists apart from all the timelines and multiverses in a state of timeless suspension from the chaos of the universe. But it starts as a barren planet, ala the similarly subtly named Iracus. There are various environmental hazards lightning, storms etc. All the usual tricks to get the planet to submit to the reign of the Space Bosses have failed. Your mission is to colonize Xanadu and build a stately pleasure dome there.

Moe The Decider ->

The god of Xanadu, for some reason this mystical force is part of why the planet cannot be taken so easily, but he is not exactly an enemy to the player. He can be bribed and influenced, corrupted by flattery and pandering to his whims.

The Matchy Stars ->

Another force who arrive from space and try to take over the planet, they are the sugary sweet "Good Guys" who want to use love, friendship, the power of positive thinking, and love to rule the universe. They must be subdued by you the player.

The Tools of the Boss:

Hammer:

Some kind of sculpting tools, there will be ones for flattening terrain or building walls/hills.

Commandments:

In the tradition of the Space Bosses you can issue edicts that affect the world of Xanadu, but only in limited ways. Spelling counts! Some kind of algorithm decides what effect the commandments have on the world or its inhabitants. Sort of like the Dune Princess's magic voice. These literally appear in the sky where they have effect.

Trap:

Some kind of fence/net/contraption that helps contain the Matchy Stars.

Swatter:

Used to smack misbehaving Matchy Stars.

Edit: formatting and small tweaks.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 10:29:16 AM by michaelplzno » Logged

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2023, 09:20:47 AM »

I have died, you are killing me, this is what death is. LMAO.

[email protected]
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2023, 09:31:12 AM »

Loving these infographics. The tools is where the gameplay's at.

Some kind of sculpting tools, there will be ones for flattening terrain or building walls/hills.
Terrain sculpting, got it. Really interesting what you're doing with marching cubes.

In the tradition of the Space Bosses you can issue edicts that affect the world of Xanadu, but only in limited ways. Spelling counts! Some kind of algorithm decides what effect the commandments have on the world or its inhabitants.
I can sort of visualize the algorithm now. You have a dictionary of commands, and the word order assigns things to subject/object/verb position and maybe detects if it's a command-form sentence.

Some kind of fence/net/contraption that helps contain the Matchy Stars.
Fences are boring. How about harpoon cables that shoot out of the ground and impale them?

Swatter
That could be a whole minigame, but with more sinister implements.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2023, 09:37:33 AM »

My GF saw your mockup and said that the player should be able to "Boob Smash" anyone who misbehaves.

[email protected]
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2023, 09:48:59 AM »

My GF saw your mockup and said that the player should be able to "Boob Smash" anyone who misbehaves.
Embarrassed For some reason AI translates "sexy" to a double D every time. It would be cool to see a character like that in the game.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2023, 09:59:06 AM »

mse walks in this joint like Bruce Dickens: I GOTTA HAVE MORE HARKONNEN STYLE HEDONISM.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic