Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:24:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPower Armour
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Power Armour  (Read 2480 times)
Dark Link
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2009, 03:54:31 AM »

Power Armour is my first game. I've got together with some extremely talented people to make this. The team goes as follows:

Myself, Ross Brennan: I write the bulk of the story, I do most of the artwork, I'm the guy who comes up with most of the concepts and I'm in charge of design.

Matthew Ravius: Matthew is our spriter and code monkey. He helps me with the concepts and helps with the design.

Ryan O'Connor: Ryan helps me with the story from behind the scenes. He helped conceptualize how the levels might play out.

Kieran Foy: Kieran plays pretty much the same job as Ryan. He comes up with the ideas for how the story will eventually play out.

The game itself is a platformer/run-and-gun game. It has elements of big FPS in it, namely being able to swap your weapon for another one. The catch is that you can only keep one weapon at a time, so some choices must be made. Will you go for the powerful plasma cannon, a rocket launcher-type weapon with scarce ammo, or will you stick with the less powerful pulse shotgun with plentiful ammo? the platforming itself takes a sort of Metroid-like or Megaman-esque role in the game. It has Megaman's platforming style, coupled with Metroid-style puzzles. It also has a level with a creepy, tense vibe to it as well, where your only line of defense is your flashlight.

Matthew is still working on building the engine, so there are no development screenshots as of yet. As soon as he's built the engine and made the Sergeant's spritesheet, we're going to begin working on the demo. The demo will take place in the first two levels of the game, the systems check on your suit of GOLEM power armour and your battle through an armoured military bunker.

I suppose I could link to the site and let you guys find out a bit more for yourselves. So, see you guys later!

Power Armour
Cevo70
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 06:47:00 AM »

Looks/sounds fun.   Best of luck - let us know how things develop. 

You might want to conceptualize a "hook."  I honestly get overwhelmed with the number of platformers.  Using a space marine theme is "tried-and-true" but not exactly original, and alot of people set out to rehash/improve upon Metroid.  (not knocking it, just saying)

What will make yours stand out?

Dark Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:22:26 AM »

Well, I guess that Power Armour will pay a little bit more attention to the story than other games. I personally feel that story is one of the most important aspects of a game, and I want to make sure the game tells a good story.

Other than that, we don't plan on doing anything too special with Power Armour. All of us thoroughly discuss how each element will fit into the universe before we implement it (you should have seen the size of our discussion on how cloaking would work), so having things like a grappling hook or the Braid-like ability to reverse time wouldn't fit into this universe we've crafted.
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 08:23:37 AM »

Looks a bit bland and generic. The fact that he's green and wears a mask doesn't help :/
Dark Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »

Ach, I tried to get Matthew to make him grey, but he said that grey would just look crap on a sprite with orange visor. I disagreed, but he got his way eventually. He's my coder, I can't exactly argue with him.
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 08:09:52 AM »

Ach, I tried to get Matthew to make him grey, but he said that grey would just look crap on a sprite with orange visor. I disagreed, but he got his way eventually. He's my coder, I can't exactly argue with him.

Tell your coder that I said green is a terrible terrible idea! You need a color scheme that doesn't evoke Master Chef! Almost looks like a Halo fan game tbh.
Dark Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 06:47:38 AM »

Okay, thanks for the feedback. Obviously, major elements of the game were inspired by Halo. But we tried to incorporate different influences into the game, such as Metroid or Megaman. I already have a few ideas for a follow-up plot in my head...

And thanks for the feedback on the sprite. It's just that you face former members of your squad in the first few levels, so those guys will be red and blue. And we couldn't think of any colour that worked well with an orange visor.
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 11:43:53 PM »

Maybe he could be helmetless? It would differentiate him from the other soldiers, make him more relatable as a character, and also distinguish him from Halo.
I just think you should set the bar a little higher and not just play it safe with tried and true designs. My suggestion is to just go bananas and make something that a big game company would never make! Give it some funky flair or something!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 11:47:04 PM by Joseph » Logged
Dark Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 04:20:42 AM »

I kind of want to keep his identity secret. To let the player project their own personality onto him, much like Valve did with Gordon Freeman.

And about the flair thing, this is my first game. I want to play it safe to make sure that we can make games that are actually fun to play before we add some sort of artistic statement. Also, adding a proper story into a 2D game is kind of a flair... right? Most games just sort of use their story as a means to introduce you to the game and then leave you to it. The story would unfold like those in most major games do.
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 09:26:03 AM »

I kind of want to keep his identity secret. To let the player project their own personality onto him, much like Valve did with Gordon Freeman.

And about the flair thing, this is my first game. I want to play it safe to make sure that we can make games that are actually fun to play before we add some sort of artistic statement. Also, adding a proper story into a 2D game is kind of a flair... right? Most games just sort of use their story as a means to introduce you to the game and then leave you to it. The story would unfold like those in most major games do.

I see what your saying but whats the worst that could happen? Its not like your big publisher is going to lose money if your game doesn't sell a million units.
Also I think the sparse storytelling of yore was a strong point, its almost more immersive when you are given room to make up your own interpretation of whats going on... And it would go well with the whole military theme. Something that annoys me about modern games is when they get carried away with overblown cutscenes with loads of extraneous dialogue that go on about useless plot threads. Why not write a damn novel?

Oh yeah and valve didn't keep Gordon's identity secret, he didn't hide his face either. And the storytelling in that game was quite spartan, a few exchanges of dialogue here and there, but it never intruded on the gameplay. Also a lot went unexplained which added to the general sense of mystery and adventure.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic