Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1402163 Posts in 68045 Topics- by 61639 Members - Latest Member: pevogames

August 18, 2022, 06:41:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEnter the Chronosphere - A turn based bullet hell roguelike
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Enter the Chronosphere - A turn based bullet hell roguelike  (Read 370 times)
rhys_vdw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2022, 09:39:16 PM »

Enter the Chronosphere
A tactical bullet hell roguelike where each turn is a slice of real-time action.
A game by Effort Star.

Watch this space for updates!

Links

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 05:01:30 PM by rhys_vdw » Logged

Alain
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 11:55:16 PM »

Looking interesting! Just a little heads-up: for me all your links do not seem to work.

rhys_vdw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 05:02:30 PM »

Looking interesting! Just a little heads-up: for me all your links do not seem to work.

Thanks. Apparently this forum turns
Code:
https://effortstar.games
into
Code:
http://"https://effortstar.games"

rhys_vdw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 08:04:02 PM »

Out first development update! We’ll be posting an update like this biweekly, summarizing the most interesting developments.

We’ve been working on this game since the start of 2022, so I’ll try to include context for the updates instead of doing a full summary of work-to-date.

Map generation

For the entirety of this year we’ve been using a basic map generator that we originally created during the initial week of development during 7DRL 2021. Now it’s time to overhaul it and create some more interesting levels.

This is an overview of the old map generation algorithm:

1. Generate a circular maze.
Mazes are a convenient type of level generator because they guarantee that every tile is accessible from every other tile.

2. Knock out walls at random.

This helps to alleviate the undesirable parts of maze generation (specifically that being lost in a maze is not much fun). This results in creating little clusters of cover for the player to pull into or sneak around enemies.

We have editor tools for customizing how this process works, using Unity’s animation curve to control the probability that a wall will be removed based on its position (either distance from the center, or x or y position).

3. Randomly select enemies from a weighted probability distribution.

4. Randomly place health, weapon pickup, entry staircase and exit staircase.

And that’s it! We use 13 configs to generate these levels and stack them up to create the game world.

Revamping the generator is one of the meatier tasks on our roadmap, so hopefully I can show off the new system in the not-too-distant future.

New weapon, “The Crumbler”

We’ve been working on the “mole mines” biome—a cavernous underground area defended by industrialized sci-fi moles with drilling weapons and explosives.

The crumbler is a minibomb launcher which serves the 'shotgun' room clearer role in the mole mines biome.

Depending on the distance of your reticle from your character, you can either fire a tight, constrained arc or a loose spread.

Tying attack properties to reticle position, rather than aim direction, opens up some interesting space for weapon design and opportunities to raise the skill ceiling for players.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 05:02:45 AM »

First time seeing this project. Definitely giving me top-down, 2D, SUPER HOT feeling. Which is a great vibe to have and a pretty unique take on it all. I cant help but wish for a slightly more interesting characters but I do love the simplicity and color-themes you've got going on. Looking forward to seeing more updates.

rhys_vdw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 05:55:35 PM »

First time seeing this project. Definitely giving me top-down, 2D, SUPER HOT feeling. Which is a great vibe to have and a pretty unique take on it all. I cant help but wish for a slightly more interesting characters but I do love the simplicity and color-themes you've got going on. Looking forward to seeing more updates.

Cheers! Assuming you mean visually more interesting, then watch this space. In fact, if you mean more interesting gameplay then also watch this space. :-)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic