Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:01:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting3D OpenGL Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 3D OpenGL Game  (Read 1774 times)
G3Dev
Level 0

I make games using Java

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2022, 02:54:10 AM »

Download the game here

This game is made with LWJGL 2 and is still an early test, but feel free to try it.
There might be crashes, in that case you can share the crash report here.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 09:25:57 AM by G3Dev » Logged
G3Dev
Level 0

I make games using Java

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 12:01:38 PM »

vPrototype b0.0.2 (Click to download)

Showcase video
itch.io Devlog

Hi and welcome to the first devlog of this still unnamed 3D game made with LWJGL 2. Those are the new features of the game added in this update.

Medkit
This item can be found in chests and you can use it by pressing the left mouse button while holding it. Using the medkit will increase your health points by 10.

Fist
There is now the possibility of dealing damage to the enemies by using your bare hands! If you are not holding any item you will have your hand ready to punch the ogres!

Buttons
The buttons are interactable objects which you can press by clicking E or the right mouse button nearby. At the moment they are the key for winning the game because you will have to find and press 5 of them in order to unlock the victory!

Other changes
• Chests can now be opened also by pressing the right mouse button next to them;
• The game map has been changed.
Bug fixes
• Chests could be used more than once even if they were already opened;
• Having more than one item in your inventory caused some issues in the items' icon alignment.
Conclusions
At the moment the idea is to turn this game into some sort of "find the button" game, where you will need to find buttons, get weapons and battle monsters in order to unlock the win.

With that being said, that's it for this first update! Feel free to leave your feedback and, in case the game crashed, share the crash report here.
​Thanks for reading this devlog, have a good day!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 12:21:08 PM by G3Dev » Logged
mtorc1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 12:09:03 PM »

Unfortunately, the game crashes on my computer 3 seconds after starting.
G3Dev
Level 0

I make games using Java

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 12:26:38 PM »

Unfortunately, the game crashes on my computer 3 seconds after starting.

Really? No No NO Does the game show you the crash report? If so, could you copy and paste the report text here?
Also could you tell me what operating system are you running the game on?

Edit: The game must be runned in the same folder as "jre", so if you start the ".exe" file outside of the folder the game might crash because you need Java to play it.
If you really want to play the game in a different folder (which doesn't contain "jre") you need to create a shortcut to the ".exe" file. On Windows you can do it by right clicking the ".exe" file and selecting "Create shortcut". The shortcut file can be moved to other locations in your computer.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 01:02:39 PM by G3Dev » Logged
mtorc1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 12:59:10 PM »

Sure, I sent it you via pm.
I am using Windows 10
G3Dev
Level 0

I make games using Java

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 01:09:16 PM »

Sure, I sent it you via pm.
I am using Windows 10

Thanks for reporting the error, I will provide to fix it as soon as possible.
G3Dev
Level 0

I make games using Java

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 02:53:10 AM »

Hey, I tried solving the error, so if the game crashed right after you started it, could you download here "MazeGameTest - Windows.zip" and play it?
This test version of the game has the console enabled as well as the OpenGL debug output, so if the game crashes try to share here your console output.
Also, make sure your run the game in the same folder as "jre". Unfortunately this test version is available only for Windows.
mtorc1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 12:01:57 PM »

I tried the test version and it also crashed. Well, with this version I could at least walk for a few seconds before it crashed. I hope this log helps you.
Code:
OpenGL version 3.2 supported
ARB_debug_output extension supported
FPS: 111.1/120, DELTA: 0.009
FPS: 142.8/120, DELTA: 0.007
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x534997e9, pid=7760, tid=0x000048cc
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_301-b09) (build 1.8.0_301-b09)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (25.301-b09 mixed mode windows-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C  [ig9icd32.dll+0x4b97e9]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# C:\Users\fabia\Downloads\MazeGameTest - Windows\hs_err_pid7760.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
G3Dev
Level 0

I make games using Java

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 01:04:22 AM »

The bug should be fixed, turns out the game was feeding to much data to the GPU Facepalm...
Anyway, you can download the fixed version here!
Also, leave your feedback and try to share the game with people who have MacOS and Linux, so that I can know if the game works on other platforms too!
G3Dev
Level 0

I make games using Java

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2022, 03:21:52 AM »

vPrototype b0.0.4

Showcase video
itch.io Devlog

Hi and welcome to this devlog of a new version of this game!
The vPrototype b0.0.4 features lots of small changes, a new interactable object and a critical Windows bug fix, that made the game crash.
Without any further to do, let's dive into it!

Pressure Plates
Pressure Plates are one of the new main features of this update. They activate when a the player or another entity is standing on them, if the entity is jumping the plate won't activate.

In the future they might be used for some traps, but at the moment I hid one of them in the level so try to find it, it shouldn't be difficult!

An unactive pressure plate

An active pressure plate

New Debug options
You can press F3 to see all the debug infos and debug function controls.
• It's now possible to toggle VSync by pressing O, This option, if activated, will force the game to adapt its framerate to
  the amount of frames that your monitor can display;
• It's now possible to change the Target FPS, when the VSync is off, by pressing U to decrease it and I to increase it (the
  minimum value is 15, the maximum is 240). This option will change the FPS value that the game will try to reach;
• It's now possible to change the Render Distance by pressing K to decrease it and L to increase it (the minimum value is
  10, the maximum is 200). This option will affect how much the camera can see and it will accordingly change the fog
  settings, keep in mind that the more you increase the render distance the more the game could lag, especially on low
  performace computers;
• It's now possible to change the FOV (Field Of View) by pressing N to decrease it and M to increase it (the minimum value
  is 10, the maximum is 140). This option will affect the angle of the camera view.

The Debug Screen

Crash report Saving and Sharing functions
If the game crashes and manages to catch the exception that caused the error, it will show you a crash report window where you can:
• "Ok": Discard and not save the crash report;
• "Save this report": Save the crash report to your computer;
• "Save and Share this report": Save and Share the crash report (in this case the game will automatically bring you to the this thread where you can post the crash report by copying and pasting the report content).

Other changes:
• You can now fully rotate the camera (not only left and right, but also up and down);
• The game window can now be resized and, if it is supported by your display, also set to fullscreen mode by pressing F11;
• The map was slightly modified.

Fixed bugs:
• The win could be unlocked without pressing all the buttons in the level;
• A critical issue that caused game to crash on Windows platforms under certain conditions has been solved.

Conclusions
This version is full of small but very important changes that could improve your game experience, so be sure to give the game a try. Also, I would really appreciate your feedback, you can post your thoughts on this game (what you like, what you would like to add to the game and what you think could be improved) here on this thread or on the game's itch.io page!

Thanks for reading this devlog, have a nice day!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 12:48:36 AM by G3Dev » Logged
G3Dev
Level 0

I make games using Java

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 12:39:56 PM »

vPrototype b0.0.5 (Click to download)

Particle effects, new items and new blocks

A new version of this still untitled game (title suggestions are welcomed) is available to download for Windows, MacOS, Linux!
Here is a quick recap of all the features introduces with this update:
Cracked Block: a block that can be broken by punching it;
Arrow Trap Block: a block that shoots arrows when triggered by a button or a pressure plate;
Bars Block: a block that can be broken when using the cutters on it;
Arrows: a new type of projectile that deals less damage that a bullet;
Cutters: the item you can use to break the bars;
Guards: a new enemy that has a bigger attack radius than the ogre, but deals less damage;
Particle effects: particle effects are make the game look a bit nicer by adding tiny details to the it. So far the game has three particle effects: block fragments, smoke and flame (not used in the game yet);
Shotgun: this is a new powerful weapon that shoots 16 bullets that spread and can hit more than one enemy at the same time;
Attack and damage indicators: to help the player understand if he hits something or if someone is hitting him, the game now has two indicators:
  1. When the player hits an enemy a yellow cross will appear in the middle of the screen;
  2. When an enemy hits the player the screen will turn red for a about two seconds.

Broken bars block

Smoke particles and the new Arrow trap block

The shotgun and the attack indicator

You can read a fully detailed development log on itch.io (click to read) or here on TIGSource (click to read).

Here is also watch a brief showcase video of this update.

Thanks for reading this post.
Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 12:46:01 PM by G3Dev » Logged
G3Dev
Level 0

I make games using Java

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2022, 09:29:20 AM »

This game still doesn't have a title (suggest your idea here), but it's now officially released!
In this big update there are new blocks, new items, a new mechanism and custom levels!

Before starting you can download the game on itch.io by clicking here!
You can also check out the itch.io devlog for more information at this link.

Let's see in detail all the new features of the game!

New blocks:
Keyhole Block: a block you can use to unlock doors by activating it with a key. You can put the key in the keyhole and take it back from the block by pressing the left mouse button in front of the block.

A keyhole block

Door: doors can be opened by pressing the left mouse button in front of them. They need to be unlocked in order to be opened!

A door

Glass Block: a transparent block you can break by punching it 5 times!

The different textures for the glass blocks

New mechanisms:
Switch: basically a button that keeps its state the same unless the player triggers it by pressing the right mouse button or the E key next to it!

Turning on and off a switch

New items:
Key: you can use it to activate or deactivate a keyhole block!

Using a key to unlock a door

Light boots: they make your steps lighter, so if you hold them while walking on pressure plates you won't trigger them!

Using the light boots

Club: ogres have a 10% chance of dropping their weapon, which deals a damage of 5 health points! However they have a longer attack delay.

A club dropped by an ogre

Changes to the rendering engine:
Apart from all the new blocks and items, I also improved the rendering engine of the game (the part of the code in charge of drawing the game on your monitor).
These are the changes I made to the rendering engine:
• Block faces optimization: to allow glass to be correctly rendered I had to change the algorithm that decides whether or not a face has to be rendered.
Here you can see a before and after this improvement.

• Blocks' faces texturing: the game now correctly renders a block's texture on each face instead of mirroring it in the east and west faces of the block.
Again, here is a before and after the change.

Also the game now supports multiple textures for different faces of the same block, and it has more flexibility for the creation of a block's model.

Main Menu:
From now, every time you open the game you will be greated with a main menu where you can choose a level to play or add custom levels. You can move up the selection by pressing the either W or UP arrow key, while you can move down the selection by pressing S or the DOWN arrow key. To play a the level you are selecting, press ENTER. You can also scroll the mouse wheel to go up and down through the list of all the levels you have loaded.

Custom levels:
You can read a complete guide that will help you creating your levels by clicking here or you can watch a video that shows the creation of a simple levels by clicking here.

Other changes:
• The name of the item you are holding is now displayed in the bottom left corner of the game window;
• The foreground color of the win message is now yellow;
• The number of inventory slots has been increased from 5 to 8;
• You can now press J to disable the damage indicator's red flashes and replace them with a simple red marker at the center of the screen.

A comparison between the two different damage indicators

Fixed Bugs:
• The player didn't die when his health points were lower than or equal to zero.

Conclusions:
The game is now officially released, in the future there might be a sounds and music update or other changes. Now it's your turn, create your levels and share them here to let other people play them!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 08:01:58 AM by G3Dev » Logged
DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2022, 02:09:26 PM »

Hi,

I tried your game. Renders smoothly even on an obsolete machine, but that might be the lack of lights and shadows, that's what usually costs the most from my experience. Still, well done, everything looks clean. Smiley

Reminded me of times when shooters were more like dungeon-crawls. I always liked both. Grin Kind of a shame that most of the textures are probably just placeholders. I'd enjoy some action in a cool looking maze.

Some notes:
- Considering today's screens, I wouldn't mind higher ceiling/taller walls, as the maze feels very claustrophobic (I realize that the setup is actually very traditional, it's just how I feel about it nowadays).
- The distances in the maze are actually too great for my taste. Or maybe my avatar is moving too slow?
- Seemed strange to use Left Click to interact with some things, and E to interact with others.
- No idea what I'm holding in my hand, xcept I know it breaks walls and kills people. Is that... is that a pipe?
- No idea what the lightbulbs are (are they lightbulbs? There are arrow traps around - those did nothing to me btw).
- No idea if there is some kind of inventory to manage. (except for switching numbers)
- Is there a way to block? I enjoy a good melee but I wasn't sure what the proper strategy here is.
- The enemies were sometimes "glitchy", kinda "lagging" a lot (in a spot, just a few pixels here and there), probably because pathfinding (occured when close to me). Also did not notice any attack animation. (would be nice to have if there is none)
- Fighting an enemy in doors was really strange - sometimes I attacked, other times I interacted with the doors. It was also possible to close the doors with the enemy still in the "door space", effectively crippling the enemy.

Overall I liked it, maybe partially because it is familiar. Wouldn't mind to see where this goes. Smiley

Definitely a nice base for something. Well done. Coffee
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 05:56:47 AM by DarkGran » Logged
G3Dev
Level 0

I make games using Java

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 02:24:56 AM »

Hi,

I tried your game. Renders smoothly even on an obsolete machine, but that might be the lack of lights and shadows, that's what usually costs the most from my experience. Still, well done, everything looks clean. Smiley

Reminded me of times when shooters were more like dungeon-crawls. I always liked both. Grin Kind of a shame that most of the textures are probably just placeholders. I'd enjoy some action in a cool looking maze.

Some notes:
- Considering today's screens, I wouldn't mind higher ceiling/taller walls, as the maze feels very claustrophobic (I realize that the setup is actually very traditional, it's just how I feel about it nowadays).
- The distances in the maze are actually too great for my taste. Or maybe my avatar is moving too slow?
- Seemed strange to use Left Click to interact with some things, and E to interact with others.
- No idea what I'm holding in my hand, xcept I know it breaks walls and kills people. Is that... is that a pipe?
- No idea what the lightbulbs are (are they lightbulbs? There are arrow traps around - those did nothing to me btw).
- No idea if there is some kind of inventory to manage. (except for switching numbers)
- Is there a way to block? I enjoy a good melee but I wasn't sure what the proper strategy here is.
- The enemies were sometimes "glitchy", kinda "lagging" a lot (in a spot, just a few pixels here and there), probably because pathfinding (occured when close to me). Also did not notice any attack animation. (would be nice to have if there is none)
- Fighting an enemy in doors was really strange - sometimes I attacked, other times I interacted with the doors. It was also possible to close the doors with the enemy still in the "door space", effectively crippling the enemy.

Overall I liked it, maybe partially because it is familiar. Wouldn't mind to see where this goes. Smiley

Definitely a nice base for something. Well done. Coffee
Thanks for your feedback, always nice to hear someone's opinion! Smiley

The game is still on an early stage of development and, to be honest I didn't touch for about 3 months now, because I started working on other games (you can find one that I published two days ago for a game jam on my itch.io profile Grin).
Here are some answers to your notes:
- Even if some textures are a bit odd, they are not all placeholders. However, the item ones are in fact placeholders.
- Speaking of animations, I think I forgot to add an attack animation to monsters when making the game.
- If you are talking about the key hole (it's not a lightbulb Crazy). That block can lock and unlock doors.
- For what concerns the big distances in the map, I know I could make the demo level a bit smaller, but remember that is just a demo and the game can read custom levels made by everyone. You can easily create a level for the game with just a text editor and an image editor.
I published a post about how to create and play a custom level and you can read it here Grin!

Also, in the future I could improve the game publishing an update.
In that case I'll write a post here.

Thanks very much for your feedback! I really appreciate it!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic