Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:06:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDesigning a mystery
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Designing a mystery  (Read 2647 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 19, 2022, 05:04:00 PM »

So I have been throwing around an idea in my head for doing a mystery deduction game, but I dont really know how to go about designing it. Has anyone done anything like this? A story driven mystery would probably be better, but could you randomly generate a Who-Dun-It. like for example could you generate clues to steer a player to the culprit of a jewel heist at a dinner party.

ArtistDmitry
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 11:46:11 PM »

As I understand it, we are talking about the procedural generation of crimes.
Offhand, it could be something like this:
1. generation of a set of characters: random appearance, profession, behavior and habits, relationships (relatives, friends, colleagues)
2. generating a location as a set of connected rooms, including rooms assigned to characters (guest bedrooms, master's office, servant's room)
3. choosing a random victim and killer, choosing a weapon that, for example, will be hidden by the character in his room (but we cannot search everyone in a row, we are decent people!)
4. the killer left traces (footprints on the floor, a dropped object, blood, etc.)
Each trace separately can lead us to several characters at once (the same initials on the headscarf, similar handwriting, shoe size)
The more traces we find, the easier it will be to identify the killer.

The scheme can be complicated by the killer's attempts to cover traces or even kill you.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic