Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:59:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDritch - Voxel SciFi Adventure
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dritch - Voxel SciFi Adventure  (Read 1821 times)
cow_trix
Level 0

Meat Popsicle

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2022, 07:18:36 AM »

...is a first-person adventure game set on a trans-dimensional space station called The Coil. No time to grapple with your newfound existence - rent is due! Perform odd jobs to avoid being evicted into a black hole, and unravel the mysteries that lie within the Dritchlek, the home of the strange alien species that owns The Coil.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 09:53:21 PM by cow_trix » Logged

I make games and you should play them.

Dritch - Voxel SciFi Adventure | voxul - Unity Voxel Framework
cow_trix
Level 0

Meat Popsicle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 10:19:16 PM »

Open Source Tech

I've been building various tools within the Unity engine to facilitate development of Dritch. These tools are all open-source and available to try out yourself, though they are also in early days with only me developing so expect a bit of jank.

Voxul - 3D modelling/voxels

Voxul is my Unity voxel framework I've been developing for about a year now. It's what I used to build and texture all the models within the game. I'm a terrible artist, so pursuing this style means that I can still make okay-looking assets without sinking too much time into learning 3D modelling. Plus, it gives the game a unique little aesthetic because of Voxul's subdivision architecture. I'm pretty proud of this! There's definitely still some issues around the user experience but I think the overall system is pretty solid.

Github Repo

Muzak - Generative Audio

Muzak is a bit of a newer tool that is used to create generative music tracks. The idea is that you can set up a loop that knows how to transition in and out and can even have some randomness as to what clips play. For instance, you might want the song to fade in just playing the melody, and only when we get to a certain time passed do we fade in the drums and harmony. Then you can sprinkle in some samples that only play 25% of the time. So you end up with randomly generated loops that can fade in and out in really dynamic ways. Much more to come here as it is needed.

Github Repo

AssetLibrary - Asset Management & Labelling

AssetLibrary is an editor tool for managing semantic asset labels. Use it to easily manage metadata about your assets, tagging them with any amount of labels that can then be filtered and searched through.

Github Repo

zSplines - Bezier Spline Library

zSplines is a lightweight spline framework for Unity.

Github Repo
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 10:27:00 PM by cow_trix » Logged

cow_trix
Level 0

Meat Popsicle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 05:40:43 AM »

cow_trix
Level 0

Meat Popsicle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 09:05:38 PM »

What's a space-station cyberpunk city without flying cars?

I've been working on a vehicle network which will allow cars to fly around the different levels of The Coil. It was fun!

I wanted the flying vehicles to stick to lanes, so each vehicle path connection has at least one lane per direction. The innermost circle is a lane interchange so vehicles can change from one to another. You can see below a test path running from one node to another.

This is all using some custom spline code which I am planning to move out to a open-source project at some point. Pathfinding is your basic A*.

Above is the full road network for the whole Coil. The uppermost and lowermost levels don't have any lanes because I want them to feel a little bit less busy.

And above are some cars flying around! I just spawn some cars at the edges of the network and set them to traverse to an opposite point on the map and then delete themselves.

Something else I've been working on is some transient NPCs that will just wander around. They've got some random generation for appearance. They don't have dialogue but will just spit out a line of alien language when you try to talk to them. I need to hook them up to the same system which is spawning transient vehicles so they can spawn/destroy themselves.

The Operator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 12:34:04 AM »

Really nice! I really like the idea and the style of the game! As being a SciFi Adventure, if you are interested, I would love to create some music for it? That could be interesting to try! Let me know if you are interested Wink

An Italian minimal electronic music artist living in Norway. Elektro Engine Stidio.
cow_trix
Level 0

Meat Popsicle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 03:17:26 AM »

Another little flythrough of The Coil, with some cars, some janky NPCs, and some newer areas. All very WIP but its nice seeing piece by piece improvements.

The Coil is split into 5 different levels, each with a different theme and purpose. The bottom is a chunk of asteroid that serves as the base of the station, but where few live. The second is the poorest level and is mostly housing with some commerce. The third is where the industry of The Coil sits - asteroid mining, processing, manufacturing. The fourth is more city, and is where all the skyscrapers are. The fifth is a level reserved for the Dritch and is known as the Palace.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic