Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 05:16:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Woodlot
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Woodlot  (Read 9905 times)
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:56:02 AM »

I've begun working on the graphics for some sort of adventure game (codenamed "woodlot"), but mainly to try out and practise pixel art. Anyways, since I'm so bad at it and tutorials don't seem to help, I think perhaps some kind people could offer some critiques of the work so that I may improve?

Originally posted in the pixel art thread, this is a background for the main setting of the game. I've done some modifications to it, but something is still wrong.

[UPDATED, SEE BELOW]

I'm thinking it could be the shadows of the trees near the bottom of the hills/mountains. Anyone agree/disagree?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:31:12 AM by Shade Jackrabbit » Logged

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:44:40 AM »

I think your scene needs more light and contrast. It's very hard to see. If you look at the picture without focusing on anything in particular you can see how the moon and stars stand out. Good job though, especially with the shadows. You can tell a lot of time went into it.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:13:25 PM »

I like it, but it needs a feeling of perspective and depth. Unfortunately, all that awesome detail of the trees makes them stand out at the same level as the foreground.

As for depth, changing the color of the path as it goes back in space might help (see http://i.pbase.com/g3/66/194666/2/59070042.CIMG2189.jpg).

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 04:09:03 PM »

You can tell a lot of time went into it.

Yeah, I've actually been working on this one scene all day. I'm learning some neat stuff though.

Anyways, improvements. I've added a border around it because I think the contrast against the white page may really be making it look too dark. (It's supposed to be a rather dark game, so I can't really brighten the colors any more.) There's a lot of other changes too.

Also I just realized I was working on this for the past 5 hours.  Shocked

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »

...I'm afraid I'm obligated to tell you that the squashed reflection makes no sense.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:38:09 PM »

...I'm afraid I'm obligated to tell you that the squashed reflection makes no sense.

I kinda assumed someone would point out that I can't bullshit my way through that one.  :D

Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:44:56 PM »

much better. except the highlights on the trees would face the moon. The whole tree wouldn't be illuminated.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 05:11:03 PM »

Like this?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:58:19 PM by Shade Jackrabbit » Logged

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 08:30:49 AM »

Don't have much time today to work on stuff, but here's a larger version of the totem poll on the right. Unfortunately it's too small to use in any closeups, so it's basically useless.

If you guys have any more comments on the stuff here, please let me know. I'll probably get back sometime this evening.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 08:30:08 PM »

Player character?

["Right light-source" version depicted here]

Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 10:12:12 PM »

She needs more contrast. It's hard to tell if there's any light source at all. Actually, for characters you shouldn't have a hard light source as it would look weird if the background had a source from a different location or if the character sprite reversed. you want to have the appearance of some light source but don't make it very pronounced.

Anatomy Reference:

Your anatomy isn't too bad, but the shoulders would set back and slightly down more and her breasts would be slightly lower. She also seems to have a hump in her back. I suppose you're trying to draw the shoulder region? In that case that hump would start right at the top of the shoulders and end about half-way down the triceps. It wouldn't look nearly that pronounced either. In fact, you may not realistically be able to see it at that size. Eyes are set in the center of the human head, one pixel down and they would be perfect. Her head needs to set a little more forward. Again, one pixel would be good.

A little tip is that contrast can give the illusion of depth. Things farther away tend to look darker and nearer things are lighter.

I made a really quick edit for you. I hope you don't mind:

I pushed the shoulders back, gave the arms a more natural resting spot, upped the contrast, put the head forward one pixel, moved the eyes down one pixel, added some red in the skin tone and also lowered the saturation a bit. moved the feet apart, and made her lower body a tiny bit thicker. She looks slightly turned more toward the camera to give her a more natural look. You almost never see anyone directly from the side.

Noticed how I put dark colors behind the light colors to bring then out more, specifically where the sleeve of the coat is and where the coat hangs over her blouse.

Another thing about colors:
- shadows tend to be lower in saturation the darker they are. They also tend to be purpler
- highlights tend to be higher in saturation the lighter they are. They also tend to be yellower.

For example, the colors in a plant are green right? Well they actually tend to scale from yellow to green. A plant's colors MIGHT have these saturations and hues in it:

That is a stupidly gross oversimplification. Light isn't that simple and it depends on multiple factors such at the light source intensity and texture of the object, etc, but it's how color tends to scale.

And I'll warn you that I'm not that great of an artist. These are just things I've kind of picked up on so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Edit: Oh yeah, your background is looking a lot better.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:18:38 AM by Kadoba » Logged
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 07:01:01 AM »

Actually it's hard to see from the angle but she has one hand on her hip, so that's the elbow that you're seeing.

Still, I'll go for a more neutral position so its clearer.

Also, it's not a blouse. It's a pair of brown pants and a matching shirt (which I've decided to lighten anyways, so its clearer that its seperate.)

But yeah... I'll work on fixing this up.

EDIT: Also, that was the version with a lightsource. I'll just put up the un-lighted versions until I've got her done.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:12:41 AM by Shade Jackrabbit » Logged

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 07:50:30 AM »

This better?

(Hint: Yes. Real question: What's still wrong?)

Also, please note this is the version without a light source.

Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 08:11:39 AM »

Much better. I would lower her boobs a bit, and the ends of her jacket shouldn't stick out like that. But you've got the form almost down as far as I can see. Good job  Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right
Jrsquee
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 08:40:58 AM »

contrast contrast contrast

strangely enough, night isn't as dark as it seems
your eyes adjust for it
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »

strangely enough, night isn't as dark as it seems
your eyes adjust for it

Yeah, but that's true for games even. You're looking at the image after looking at a white forum. I've been working on that thing zoomed in at the level the player will be looking at it, and it's not nearly as dark as it may seem.

EDIT: Actually, regarding that, it may be better for me to put up enlarged pictures, so it's clearer. Just ask me if you'd like me to.

I would lower her boobs a bit, and the ends of her jacket shouldn't stick out like that.

Better? (Also it's supposed to be an upturned collar at the top, if you were referring to that.)

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 09:15:19 PM »

Did one of the walking frames today.

x2          Standard

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 02:28:19 PM »

Walking animation done. How's it look?

Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 02:50:14 PM »

Pretty good to start with. Walking animations are rough.

The main thing is that you need to bring up where the legs attach to her torso. A person's butt is in the very center of their height and hers is a bit too far down. She should look like if she were to sit down she could sit on her hands.

Right now, the animation good except where the forward foot touches the ground. When walking normally, a person extends their legs out straight and falls on their heels.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 07:43:35 PM »

Better? I think the legs may actually be a bit too short.

(Also I've noticed the little pixel that disappears. I'm fixing that.)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic