Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:18:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Woodlot
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Woodlot  (Read 9907 times)
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 11:55:51 AM »

The new one looks much more realistic, but I liked this a LOT more! She doesn't look entirely human in this one, which makes it very interesting. It makes you wonder if it's just art style or if she actually is different, and that in turn makes you think about about the setting of the game and everything turns interesting. Especially if you draw a lot of other characters in the same style. Even if you later reveal that everybody is perfectly normal the interest has been awaked.

Hm. It's a nice point, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea... the potential problem being that any abnormality in characters could then be less influential.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2009, 08:10:38 PM »

Revival! Did some more sprite work as I finally pulled myself away from Fallout 3.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2009, 10:35:52 PM »

She looks kind of grumpy at all times. Adds character. The biggest deal is a lack of a nose, makes it real alien... but not much you can do about that.
Renton
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2009, 11:03:44 PM »

I don't mind the lack of nose. She doesn't need one if you ask me. Animation is looking good, too. Better than the sideways one, even.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2009, 11:06:52 PM »

I don't mind the lack of nose. She doesn't need one if you ask me. Animation is looking good, too. Better than the sideways one, even.

Well, of course it's going to be better than the sideways one; this one has shading. Also, totally forgot to mention how awesome this is turning out. Sorry about that, Shade. I'll say it now:

This is turning out to be really awesome.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2009, 07:18:35 PM »

Updated the walking right animation with shading.

This is turning out to be really awesome.

Thanks, Inani.  Smiley

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2009, 07:32:08 PM »

Looks great! Can't wait to see more of the protagonist, and perhaps other things as well!
Renton
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2009, 06:25:06 AM »

Well, of course it's going to be better than the sideways one; this one has shading.

It also doesn't look like she has a stick up her ass.

She looks very rigid, that is.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2010, 10:57:37 PM »

Rigidity not fully fixed, but I did fix the height. And I got a friend of mine to help re-animate the legs so they were less... rigid.

Renton
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 11:02:49 PM »

I just realized what looked wrong to me. Shoulders. Right now it looks as if she doesn't even have any arms. Maybe you can make them 1px wider or so? Just a suggestion.
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2010, 11:40:37 AM »

You know what this really reminds me of? Yahtzee's Chzo series, this character looks alot like the characters in that series. And that's a good thing, I always thought he managed to put alot of realism into really low res characters.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2010, 06:15:31 PM »

Ah, thank you. It has indeed been a major source of influence. The comparison is taken as a compliment for sure.  Gentleman

@Renton: Yes, I think the shoulders is currently the biggest problem. I'm gonna play around with widths and maybe some animation.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2010, 09:50:10 PM »

That was quite a good idea Renton. It looks better now.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2010, 10:49:43 AM »

I think this is a good logo.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »

I think you should decide whether you use antialising on the pic or not, it looks a bit bad that the lines are antialiased and the moon isn't; also, the moon could use some smoothing. Smiley Looking at the animations, you've improved a lot!

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2010, 11:46:31 AM »

That's weird, I just noticed the lines doing that. They're supposed to be aliased. Must've used the brush by mistake.

That's a little better.

Looking at the animations, you've improved a lot!

Thanks. :D

Renton
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2010, 11:56:26 AM »

Can I suggest bolder lines or a glow effect for the logo? It might be hard to read otherwise.

Speaking of hard to read; have you checked how the sprites look against the background? Last I remember this was a dark game and I fear your sprites lack contrast to stand out. Especially the shadows, they already are hard to see against the very neutral grey background of the forum posts; they may not be visible at all when put against a dark background.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2010, 12:16:23 PM »

Used the wrong sky colour.

@Renton: Yeah, the sprites work fine. They're a little bright in some cases, but colour adjustments can be made on the fly. And it actually works the opposite way: the forum is way too bright and so it makes the shadows hard to see. I guess you could fault the game for it, but it's meant to be played full-screen so that the contrast is very visible.

I'm using a CRT, though, so I dunno how this looks on an LCD or Plasma.

As for the logo glow...

Hand Thumbs Up Left / Hand Thumbs Down Right

Renton
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »

I'm on a CRT as well, and it was just a general concern. They probably work fine.

The logo looks pretty much the same to me, but I'll give it a Hand Thumbs Up Right anyway.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »

I think the moon could be smoother, here's a quick edit.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic