Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:48:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallEmberbane: A pixel art action/platformer game inspired by Avatar: TLA
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Emberbane: A pixel art action/platformer game inspired by Avatar: TLA  (Read 1100 times)
Safak_Hamlet
Level 0

Hamlet Games

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2022, 11:40:25 AM »

Hello there! We are an indie game studio and, developing a pixel art action/platformer game inspired by Avatar: The Last Airbender. The game is called Emberbane, and you will be using four elements simultaneously - switching between them in DMC style Smiley

The game has platformer, combat and Metroidvania elements. In Emberbane, you can use four elements for both platforming and combat sequences. We tried our best to give its vibe. Ice, Earth, Fire, Thunder. In our element switching system Ophelia’s (Main protagonist) costume and hair changes depending on the element.

We released our trailer on Youtube and coming soon to Kickstarter. Here is our trailer link:

Follow us on Kickstarter and get notified on launch:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/teamhamlet/emberbane

« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 11:47:13 AM by Safak_Hamlet » Logged
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 02:57:12 AM »

This looks quite neat thus far! And with some good art, too, I do think. ^_^

If I may ask, what do you currently intend in terms of difficulty? Do you intend to have highly-challenging platforming, or is the focus more on exploration? And do your mechanics lean towards the "Soulslike"/"Hollow Knight" side of things--punishing enemies, with only checkpoints for saves and full enemy respawns--or towards something lighter?

Safak_Hamlet
Level 0

Hamlet Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 04:47:47 AM »

This looks quite neat thus far! And with some good art, too, I do think. ^_^

If I may ask, what do you currently intend in terms of difficulty? Do you intend to have highly-challenging platforming, or is the focus more on exploration? And do your mechanics lean towards the "Soulslike"/"Hollow Knight" side of things--punishing enemies, with only checkpoints for saves and full enemy respawns--or towards something lighter?

First of all, we want our game to be playable by all audiences. We take a great inspiration from Celeste. Although the game is difficult and thousands of hours spent on the level design, developers added assisted mode in order to reach larged audiences. Additionally, for players who like more challenge, they added alternative routes and B-Side levels. We have a similar approach.

For instance, there is a platforming sequence in trailer. But rather than dealing with the swing poles and deadly traps, you can simply go forward in a less-challenging route. However, selection of routes affect the story events you face. This helps within the replayability.

And for difficulty, the game will not be punishing such as Hollow Knight and Blasphemous. We take a great inspiration from Katana Zero and Super Meat Boy in terms of that. Respawn points are not that far, and dying will only motivate you to plan your moves better in the next run.
andymeto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 01:12:14 PM »

Looks great. I love the art in it, as well. What I wouldn't give to be gifted in making pixel art!
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 09:45:37 PM »

Looks pretty sweet, hope your kickstarter goes well

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 02:43:00 AM »

First of all, we want our game to be playable by all audiences. We take a great inspiration from Celeste. Although the game is difficult and thousands of hours spent on the level design, developers added assisted mode in order to reach larged audiences. Additionally, for players who like more challenge, they added alternative routes and B-Side levels. We have a similar approach.

For instance, there is a platforming sequence in trailer. But rather than dealing with the swing poles and deadly traps, you can simply go forward in a less-challenging route. However, selection of routes affect the story events you face. This helps within the replayability.

And for difficulty, the game will not be punishing such as Hollow Knight and Blasphemous. We take a great inspiration from Katana Zero and Super Meat Boy in terms of that. Respawn points are not that far, and dying will only motivate you to plan your moves better in the next run.

Ah, I see--thank you for the answer.

Speaking for myself, I'll confess that I'm not hugely enthused by the idea that I would have to have a specific skill-level in order to see all story-elements. And--and speaking for myself--it's a pity to my mind that the game uses a checkpoint system rather than save-anywhere.

Still, if the overall intended skill-level is lower than in games like Hollow Knight, then perhaps I'll still be up to it.

And I do love Aquaria--it's my favourite metroidvania game, I would say--and that had checkpoints. So, while I don't love Aquaria for its checkpoint system--I suspect that I would like it even more with a save-anywhere system--I can still enjoy a game in spite of that approach to saving.

We'll see--I'm cautiously interested right now, I would say.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic