Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:55:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLast Shot - pixel art dueling shooter Wild West video game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Last Shot - pixel art dueling shooter Wild West video game  (Read 1145 times)
harveydentmustdie
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2022, 01:45:38 PM »

Last Shot
is a 2D wild west dueling game. It takes place between the selected character and one or more enemies. The area of ​​movement is limited to the train platform.

Considered options are 1 player and 2 player (PvP or Co-op versus the AI), with current focus on creating single player demo level.

(WIP)

At least two characters take part in each duel, and each of them has a certain number of shots (a limited number of bullets) that they can fire in one duel. When all the ammunition is used up, the last attempt is to throw the gun at the enemy - the "last shot".

If this attempt is also unsuccessful, the character without the ammo must avoid the opponent's shots, hoping that he will also waste all his bullets. If both players run out of the ammo, a pickup will appear on the platform that will provide them with a new gun and additional ammunition, after which the duel continues. Only one character can win a duel.

There will be 4 levels (travel segments between two train stations) with 5 scenes/enemies in each. Scene transition will be represented by moving the train forward to align the player with the next platform.

(WIP)

When the train arrives at the next station after beating all 5 opponents, the player will have the chance to buy a few bullets, throwing items, or some kind of perk which could aid him during the next segment.

Trading will not be in the shop but in the back room of the Station at the "Lost and found" chest where the player will never be sure what will be available.

Player characters:

You can pick between two main characters Clive and Irene who are father and daughter.

Enemies:

Lvl.1 Outlaws

Lvl.3 Army

This is an old prototype. I've had to scrap the code due to poor structure. I'm trying to learn more about game programming and intentionally code this from scratch in C++ with SFML. We'll see where time will lead me.  Grin

All comments and suggestions are appreciated.  Gentleman

Links:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 09:04:50 AM by harveydentmustdie » Logged
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 09:14:05 AM »

The core gameplay sounds simple and fun. Running out of ammo and needing to get evasive is a classic situation in Towerfall. And I like the art style!

harveydentmustdie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 10:07:16 AM »

I appreciate the comment. Smiley I've checked out the Towerfall and it seems quite fun, I really like arrow mechanics and animations.

At first I wanted to make the game directly go to Game Over screen (player character surrendering or getting shot after he waste all ammo + throwing the gun and missing), but then I've thought it's too harsh and that some chance should still exist. That's why I've included evasion state. I'm not sure how well it will play in that mode yet, and I can't explain how they will get new guns and bullets exactly but it's a game, so maybe I don't have to. Smiley

So far plan was to introduce either horse rider who will throw them new weapons, but more fun seems introduction of something supernatural...

Here's the mockup of Game Over/Replay screen I've explored some time ago, where mentioned supernatural element is shown. This was just idea of offering new weapon or crashing it if you give up on playing. Smiley He would have to appear directly in the game after evasion mode is successful to somehow create needed pickups.

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 02:28:25 AM »

This looks a great basis for a fun party game that can be played from one screen, both co-op and against others.

All kinds of additional mechanics come into my mind. Platforms (trains) could move relative to each other, there could be occasional obstacles (train stations, water stations, construction sites) to block bullets, sudden changes in speed could throw players around in the car etc.

Good work, this will be fun to follow.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
harveydentmustdie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 01:12:57 AM »

@mobilelast, thank you for your comments. Smiley

I've had idea that constantly passing cactus plants and big stones can block the bullets. Originally I wasn't sure about water stations because they are not placed too often along the track but it still sounds like a good idea to show them from time to time. Some option is having boxes and barrels on platforms but it's a backup option for now.

Subtle movement of platforms was considered by default. I like the idea of more sudden platform movement or bigger misalignment of platforms which reduce actual shooting area but it also allows room for hiding in the blind spot so it needs to be implemented carefully like many other functions.

Regarding train stations, I plan to make one level go from train station to train station (with 5 platforms to beat during each ride), and I've actually found original map from that period and used accurate names for stations and their placement. There's a plan to change background art in each level and even have canyon level cause there's river passing before El Paso. Smiley

Idea is to potentially allow player to buy some things from "lost and found" section at train station. You need to bribe the conductor to let you see the goods. :D

I have a lot of ideas and notes, and graphics are not a problem, but I have to learn a lot of new things about coding to make it work (which was main reason behind the coding from scratch approach).
harveydentmustdie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 07:11:57 PM »

Tiny update from me, just to keep this alive. I didn't have much time to work on it in the past months due to my day job.

I'm updating graphics when I can, plan out some things structurally, since each new element of gameplay significantly complicates the requirements.

The most progress is made in the animation segment. A lot of it is still raw, but it's progressing. I think that for the demo I'll need at least 30 animations just for the player, plus other non character related things. 

Current plan is to step back, create a proper paper prototype and nail down all details I can, and plan out steps especially regarding the AI and only when I clear some doubts and worries continue with coding.

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have some recommendation regarding process, or if you see something that I'm obviously missing.

I know it's not much, but it's still a contribution.  Smiley
SquidTim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 08:05:50 PM »

this is an amazing idea for a game man!
I love the artsyle of this, its just so clean and simple and overall very cool
I also really like how distinct the enemies are from each other and doesn't look like just a reskin but stronger
The gameplay sounds really interesting, i love the idea of having to chuck the gun as a "last shot" lol
(idea, maybe make some guns do more dmg when chucking it as a last shot, bc yknow weight and stuff)
I really wanna see this game to be finished bro, keep it up!

Thx for sticking around!
-ST
harveydentmustdie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 11:23:29 AM »

@SquidTim Thank you for your kind words.

I really hope I will be in position to make bigger progress during the summer. Lack of time caused by my day job influence the amount of work I can do, but I would like to at least get it to some workable demo, if not more.

I'm considering an option to allow the player to custom create a gun out of parts, like Tuco in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" (as a friend suggested), but I feel it would complicate things in my already complicated development situation, so it's something left for a consideration. Such customization could consider throw performance as well.  Smiley

Knifes and Molotov cocktails are also considered as something that can be found at "Lost and found" box, among other things.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic