Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:45:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRTS Roguelike "Saikyo Robots"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RTS Roguelike "Saikyo Robots"  (Read 549 times)
MissingTheMoon
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2022, 11:18:42 PM »

Saikyo Robots

Welcome one and all, my name is Deniz, Game Designer from Flying Koi.
You are reading the first entry in this devlog series, which is about us making an entire RTS Roguelike game in just one month. We already talked about how and why we do this in this video

These devlogs will focus on the process during the month. I wont explain everything we do, or talk about everything we did. I will pick some things here and there that I found interesting in hopes that you and others will feel the same. The month has just started so I hope there will be fun things to talk about

So far so good
Before day 1 I copy and pasta'ed the old project. Since there are things in it that we won't need in the new project, I deleted them as they would get in the way. Sadly that code is a bit spaggetti so it got messy. I ended up down the rabbit hole, deleting more and more things we wont need. I spend a whole day just deleting old code and it made me realize ... deleting old code feels good!

Like it felt super good to just go goodbye we wont need you! And move on. It felt as if marie kondo was standing behind me constantly asking "is this line of code sparking joy"? And I said "HELL NO". So she pressed delete and ctrl + s
I think getting rid of bad code that slows down development, and recoding it might save time in long term projects. Since back then, some years ago when I wrote it, the game design was different and I wasn't as good as I am now. So rewriting it, with the knowledge of what we exactly need it for and with more skills makes the code easier to understand and easier to work with. I should definetly do that more often!

Before day 1 I was really excited and nervous. This time I am working with 5 other people! So many people to talk to, to keep updated and so many jobs to assign. This will be the biggest challenge this month!

Day 1
Ehhh not much happened yet! My wrist is still not healed but not bad either. Meaning I was able to get 4 hours in. Working with the copy pasted project means that some stuff still takes time getting used to. I got the movement going and shooting with a sniper that charges up the shot. That is all though since the copied project wasn't yet fully working. Also using the old systems means some things are difficult since I forgot how they work, and since they work different here. Weirdly this projectile can already kill enemies and react to enemy projectiles, while we havent added either yet. Thats the power of copy pasting the project!

This week we mainly make the player and factories that produce robots. Next week we will then create the rest of the base and robots so you can be the glorious leader of your robot army!

That's it for day 1, stay tuned for more!
Got any questions about the game hit me up as I am eager to talk about it haha
You can also watch me make the game on twitch.tv/missinghtemoon
Peace
MissingTheMoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 07:30:09 AM »

FTL
After I only got the moving and shooting done on day one, I was working hard in the following days to catch up! I finished the FTL buildings. I wanted some good name for the code, so I can easily remember it. FTL = Factory, Tower, Library. And its the name of a game so its even possible for my goldfish brain to remember.
You can put robots into these buildings, which raise the production speed of the building.
The Factory produces your robots.
The Tower is not actually one, its replaced with an actual tower once its done.
The Library gives you 3 technologies to choose from. Technologies are buffs that make you stronger. We dont have these buffs yet or an actual tower, but the FTL buildings are done.

The Player was next
The player can assign his robots to the FTL buildings and call them out. You can switch between the 4 possible stances, which tell your robots how to behave. And you can tell robots to follow you, if they are just standing around afk.
That's really cool stuff but to test it I needed robots. They are planned for week two, but I dont care so I started with them already.
I did their statemachine to the point at which they can change states and follow you. Now they follow in formation! YES IN FORMATION! Its so cool and slick seeing them doing that. The algorithm for it was rather confusing to get to but simple once I got it. Here is the TL;DR version:
Your Robots surround you in circles.
Each circle has a certain limit of robots that can be in it.
Later on you can get more circles and with that more robots to follow you.
Told you that its now simple! At least the TL;DR is.

The most difficult thing during this month
There is tons of design choices that come up during any game development. Since the development cycle is shortened with us using our other projects assets, these choices are coming up faster than ever! How big should the circles be? How many should you have? How many should you gain with technologies? How much scrap do you start with ... and so on. There is thousands of choices that I need to make! Thats why in the morning I often go to some cafe to think about all these. At night time I stream and code the choices I made into the game.
Meaning there isnt a lot of time for anything else. Basically I wake up, rest, make choices, put choices into game, sleep and repeat. I hope I can stay at this pace since we are a little bit ahead of shedule but that can change anytime! There is still lots of things to do and difficult choices to make!

Thats the progress so far.
Next week we will work on the robot AI and finish the player's base.
Stay tuned for that and more and I see you next week, Peace!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic