Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:10:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSciFi Command - Explore the Galaxy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SciFi Command - Explore the Galaxy  (Read 580 times)
Hypnotron
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2022, 09:46:25 AM »

Greetings Gamers and Game Developers!

My name is Hypnotron and am the sole developer for a new SciFi Starship simulator.  The simulation is a cross between Starfleet Command, Dwarf Fortress, and The Sims.  As the player, you control and manage a large capital ship with over 100 crew on board.  I will test increasing this number to 1,000.

Keep in mind that all artwork is placeholder, however the graphics are intentionally minimalist so that I can render large number of components as well as dedicate more processing towards the simulation of how all these components and crew interact.

Technologies

DirectX9.
    Windows 7.0 or later.
    Truevision3D 6.5 DirectX 9 wrapper.
    Custom game framework using a hybrid scene graph approach (Keystone Game Blocks) written in C#
    Entity behavior and AI scripting using C#.
    Scene Editor and Game client in the same executable.
    Plugin API.
    Fully mod-able.

All windows including rendering windows can be dragged and dropped anywhere and resized to your choosing.

UESN Yorktown starship model designed by Masao Okazak and used with permission. Here is a link to his website which contains many more starship designs.  https://www.starfleet-museum.org/index.htm

Key Features.
    Large Starship with 20 user customizable decks.
    Realistic celestial body and distance scaling.
    Procedural star system generation.
    Realistic long range space combat.
    Interior ship design.
    Scenario scripting.
    Crew management.

Finally, here is a screenshot to give you a basic idea of where this project is going.  It’s only the beginning.

https://www.scificommand.com
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 10:29:19 AM by Hypnotron » Logged
mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 07:02:54 AM »

Dwarf Fortress in space sounds interesting: put seven dwarves in a spaceship and see what could possibly go wrong.

I have some experience on large population simulation, and the most involved thing was to handle the concurrency so that CPU load could be distributed over multiple cores. That is: to simulate each entity/system as independently as possible in separate threads. This is a tedious (and with synchronization optimization outright difficult) job but If not taken care of from the start, it is even more tedious to add later on (as had happened with DF).

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic