Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:28:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOrcish Skies - Roguelike Deckbuilder
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Orcish Skies - Roguelike Deckbuilder  (Read 1867 times)
CerteisMiau
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2022, 12:45:25 PM »

Hi everyone! <3  Orcish Skies is a game I've been making mostly solo this year.  It's gettin' close to finished and I'm trying to polish it up for a release.  Mostly interested in bugs, general impressions, confusing text/tooltip/explanations/UI design, etc, but any feedback is welcome.

The game is a turn-based roguelike deckbuilder where you fly an airship and fight other ships on a top-down grid.  It's mouse-controlled and currently only for windows-pc

The entire game is playable atm.  A run is 12 battles: 8 regular, 3 minibosses, and the last boss. There's 4 playable characters, each with their own set of cards and passives.  There's 21 difficulty tiers that unlock as you beat runs, designed mostly as an ever-expanding ceiling, I don't expect the vast majority of players to have any interest in getting to the max difficulty.

Latest builds: (no longer here as we're live on steam :D

password: begamesdocrimes

Screenshots :]

« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 10:26:28 AM by CerteisMiau » Logged
Gunroar:Cannon()
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 01:22:37 PM »

Roguelikes are nice on mobile (no need for play store itch can still do), don't care his BiG screen needs to be Wizard

Though for real, haven't played (see above :monocle: Tongue ) the art is soooooo good and seems like there's a lot of content:)

The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

https://hmmmgames.itch.io

How to be saved
CerteisMiau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 11:07:36 PM »

I might work on mobile eventually ^^  It's 100% mouse controlled except for 2 of the minigames so it probably could translate somewhat decently im just not sure how to do it.

The art is mostly commissioned stuff from a few friends but I agree, their work is amazing!  I wish I could buy more from them to flesh it out better but that's not where we are lol.  They're listed in the credits, but the arists are Kenzie Shores (UI), Mae Knots (UI and ships etc), and Alisdair Ross (portraits) ^^
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 11:20:34 AM »

Hi CerteisMiau,

I played your game:

CerteisMiau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 12:33:32 AM »

Thank youuuu!! <3 Honestly, you skipping the tutorial is helpful in its own weird way lol, players will do that.  I'll probably highlight the tutorial a bit more for brand new save files, maybe have a thing where you have to opt-out instead of opt-in

Regrettably, Assemble Sparklance was bugged in that build, so that's undoubtedly part of the confusion.  I'll do a second check and make sure it's working in the current one.

The board-game bit is in a slightly rough state, its in more of a "this works" mode and its not very polished but even so I'm glad it made at least some sense to you lol.

A change I'm looking to make is to have a toggleable option for the card keyword tooltips to switch between simple and comprehensive, your reaction to seeing those tooltips is exactly why I'm thinking about it lol.  The big challenge for me will be to write 1-2 sentence expalanations for the keywords Cry

One goal I've had is to have the cards be somewhat playable even if a player isn't understanding the full explanation of mechanics like ASSEMBLE or AMMO (which you didn't) but even so you were able to use the cards, so that was nice to see.

Theres actually a few hitches you hit that may not have been covered by the tutorial, I gotta review the tutorial itself this week ^^.

Glad you liked it!!! <3
Tangleworm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 10:19:14 PM »

Hey hey! Congrats on the imminent launch!

I gave the demo a shot and found it really charming. While I was overloaded with information at first, I was able to settle into a rhythm of playing rocket barrages and stacking up seeker missiles, and it was really fun to end a turn and see a huge pile of damage numbers happening. It's interesting that you mention the game being playable even without a full understanding of the mechanics; I felt like I eventually had to fall back there because it was difficult to know which information was important at first, but there's a nice "feel" that becomes intuitive after a few turns.

The navigation and ship-fighting mechanics are really unique to see in a roguelike, and I'm looking forward to seeing how all these mechanics interact in the full release.

CerteisMiau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 10:25:41 AM »

Haven't checked this post in a while :p

The release went well! Fewer crash reports than I was dreading ^^

I wasnt fully sure how the demo would be recieved because it just skips drafting and building and just gives you something pre-made which i think is a bit unusual for a demo but I mostly hear good things. Imo the draw of the game is watching a build come together and do crazy things so I figured why not make the demo show players exactly that :]
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 07:34:02 PM »

Congratulations!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic