Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:39:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to Network?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: How to Network?  (Read 8278 times)
Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2022, 07:10:08 AM »

Describe it as you want but don't try to find excuses.

Walk the talk

PS: the video is looking nice, looking forward to how it evolves

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2022, 11:14:11 AM »

I'm not making any excuses, essentially I'm wondering if a more amicable solution can be reached than this:

failbetter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2022, 12:12:42 PM »

Honest feedback michaelplzno, since you're wondering -- the way you're reacting to people in this thread is the opposite of successful networking. If this were GDC, I'd politely end the conversation and move on. There's too much ego and confrontation. Not enough listening and understanding. The video you posted is neat, but it's an early tech demo. Going off just that, you're not brilliant enough to be so abbrasive. I can tell you're frustrated, but it's not an endearing quality. Best of luck finding your tribe and making awesome games.

Coffee

You may defeat me today but I will return stronger tomorrow.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2022, 01:36:11 PM »

I get it, I'm the one who needs to listen better, I'm not good enough, I get it, if you want I can post more of my stuff but it seems like being submissive and agreeable is the key to networking, which I'm not good at sadly. I have a feeling that for a big chunk of the world, no matter what work I post, the stuff that was in the IGF, the stuff that was featured on the gamer blogs, etc, I'm never good enough, I get it. But being honest about how I feel is bad networking. I just wish you would listen to me.

"Make authentic connections" "no not by expressing how you feel, that's rude."

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2022, 01:51:03 PM »

I've done quite a bit of quality work, and yet I'm told over and over that I have to stuff my feelings down to the bottom to fit in with people at GDC, its awful and traumatic to have to hide who I am for the cause of not being "too abrasive" or "confrontational." I'm glad you are as successful as you want to be and cannot share in the frustrations that perhaps the game industry is SLIGHTLY unfair. I'm glad that you got everything you wanted out of your career. My network will be people who think there's room for improvement in how the system works.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2022, 01:58:17 PM »

That is helpful, if I were brilliant enough I do then get to be myself? I guess I'll just have to do even better work.

Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2022, 03:31:12 PM »

Honest feedback michaelplzno, since you're wondering -- the way you're reacting to people in this thread is the opposite of successful networking. If this were GDC, I'd politely end the conversation and move on. There's too much ego and confrontation. Not enough listening and understanding. The video you posted is neat, but it's an early tech demo. Going off just that, you're not brilliant enough to be so abbrasive. I can tell you're frustrated, but it's not an endearing quality. Best of luck finding your tribe and making awesome games.

Coffee

"Make authentic connections" "no not by expressing how you feel, that's rude."

@failbetter was expressing how he felt, did you take offense @michaelplzno ?

Because :

@michaelplzno - asked for networking tips
@me and others - gave feedback
@michaelplzno - found nitpicks on all feedback like its not good enough for him
@me - never offer feedback to @michaelplzno in the future Smiley))
@failbetter - gave feedback on @michaelplzno feedback
@michaelplzno - does not seem to like it attaching sarcasm remark "Make authentic connections" "no not by expressing how you feel, that's rude."
@michaelplzno - "it seems like being submissive and agreeable is the key to networking, which I'm not good at sadly."

So basically @failbetter did the same, he was honest and in his last post certainly, was not "submissive and agreeable", so do you @michaelplzno feel like networking with him ?

Understand what I mean? You have expectations from people to accept you as you are but you become defensive when people do the same.
I think you only need to work on your social skills.

Now I was not very "submissive and agreeable" do you still want to "Make authentic connections" with me?

Please note that I am actually trying to help you understand what I see you are doing wrong, I hope you are smart and understand and don't take it in a negative way

Gentleman

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic