Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:04:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIdea for next-gen open-world game like GTA but for entertainment
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Idea for next-gen open-world game like GTA but for entertainment  (Read 2174 times)
bttf
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2022, 09:19:36 AM »

I've had this idea for a little while and wanted to write it out and get feedback from others who may have good critiques or who may even want to collaborate.

Grand Theft Auto is known for being one of the best open-world games out there. Red Dead Redemption, another Rockstar game, shares the same accolade.

Both games are some of the most popular games streamed on Twitch, primarily because of the popularity of roleplay servers.

If you're not familiar, roleplay servers are custom modded multiplayer servers that let up to ~200 players play together in the same world. They have strict rules around roleplay - that is, you need to play a character, maintain consistency with their personality, and not break any other important rules in order to maintain immersion for everybody. Most of these servers are whitelisted and you need to apply to join.

(Roleplaying livestreamers tend to have a wide range of popularity, spanning from 50 or so viewers, to 10k viewers at a time for some more popular GTA RP streamers.)

What you'll find around the livestreaming roleplay community is that streamers typically play one or two characters, and build story arcs over time. They build personality traits, relationships, and storylines as they play. All the while, they build a devoted audience and community around these characters.

What's amazing about this content is that it's like a new form of entertainment. When a streamer plays in GTA roleplay, for example, they are basically improv acting with a character of their making. The environment they play in is also very powerful - e.g. they can decide to leap off a skyscraper to their death and have no real repercussions other than having to respawn. Or, if they are seeking more excitement, they can decide to rob a bank and blow up a SWAT truck in the process, emulating a Michael Bay film. The roleplay streams you can watch today deliver content that blur the lines between reality tv show, action movie, and crime drama, and it's done effortlessly.

So to finally get to my idea, it is to build an open-world game from scratch, with the following goals in mind:

- open-source (to allow community to freely contribute)
- mimics a modern real-world environment that is versatile (similar to GTA but rather than focusing on cop v. crim interactions, focus on capability to recreate hollywood scenes in films from the past several decades)
- mmo-first (high quality voip, trading interactions)
- streaming-first (features intended for livestreaming such as no-clip camera viewing; cinematic "camera streamers")
- player accessibility (should attract gamers and non-gamers alike)
- allows for custom uploaded art (3d models, vehicle liveries, billboards, clothing)

Why build from scratch? Because GTA, Red Dead, and other roleplay games today aren't built with roleplaying or streaming in mind. There are still a lot of workarounds, hacks, and weird experiences that roleplayers have to deal with as a result. (Not to mention that the legality of it all is in a grey area since these are all modded versions of the games.)

Today GTA and Red Dead RP mainly attracts gamers but I think a game could be created that not only improves upon what these games accomplish today but open it up to a wider playing community - like comedians and voice actors, who typically aren't hardcore gamers, but can contribute a lot in terms of content in a roleplaying context.

That's my idea, I would love to work on this with somebody. I'm not a game dev by any means, only a hobbyist. But I've experience as a software developer in companies from big to small for the past decade to know how to execute and make good decisions. As a hobbyist I've created video games ranging from HTML5 games (including a ludum dare entry) and NintendoDS homebrew demos built with the C library libnds.

(I also realize this is a herculean task to say the least but you have to start somewhere right?)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 11:45:12 AM by bttf » Logged
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 10:50:20 AM »

The core idea, of designing a game that facilitates real time improvised role-playing, is solid. Starting with something bigger than GTA is absurd. You can just do a tabletop game that is sort of like d&d.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic