Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:11:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThis specific style of game I have been nostalgic about for the past year
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: This specific style of game I have been nostalgic about for the past year  (Read 2173 times)
PixelRunner
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2022, 01:23:24 PM »

Atm I am ridiculously interested in a very suspiciously specific style of game that I can hardly describe or find that I am very nostalgic for. I'm thinking late 00's early 10's Notch (Prelude of the Chambered, Breaking the Tower, Minecraft Classic/Alpha/Beta) and maybe some other indie games from that era. Pixel art that is "basic" but not "bad" (something you'd see in Notch's games or early Id and Apogee games), and very basic (or none at all) 3d graphics. Color pallets would consist of very basic and borderline garish colors; shades of red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow, grays, as well as colors in between those and tan, all with no hue shift. Graphical fidelity is that of Quake with no texture filtering at best and that of a 16 bit game from the late 80's/early 90's at worst. As for music, I really do not know, but I'm thinking either basic midi soundtracks or some nostalgic Minecraft-esq ones. Idk if that is really enough to describe what I am thinking of, but I am starting work on a sandbox game in this style. If there are any games that come to mind definitely let me know!
jbap13
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 01:04:20 PM »

Oh, deep down it's all about nostalgia for Windows 95's labyrinth screensaver Gentleman

I get the style you are referring to, but I don't know if it has a specific name
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 02:02:37 PM »

I'm pretty sure you're describing dos games

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
PixelRunner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 05:11:01 AM »

Now that I think about it there are a lot of dos games that kind of fit the theme, and I do have DOSBox so maybe I should start looking there. I was wondering if there still are modern indie games that fit the theme though, because I can barely remember how I ever played Doom with a pre-1997 control scheme, and I can't even imagine how terrible I would be at the original System Shock or something. Either way, the games I make in the future are definitely going to be in that style.
Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 05:57:44 AM »

Games that spring to mind are Delver and Gauntlet of the King, or the unfinished sequel Escape from the King.

While Delver is fairly well known and absolutely nothing to do with me, the last 2 links there were from back when I felt a similar nostalgia and made something along the lines of what you described - the former inspired by Prelude of the Chambered & the latter with a healthy dose of Quake inspiration.

Old screenshot pages for them with broken download links:
https://www.rogodigital.com/software/gauntlet-of-the-king/
https://www.rogodigital.com/software/escape-from-the-king/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 06:08:46 AM by Rogod » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic