Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:18:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessI let myself loose on itch to see what game I landed on
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I let myself loose on itch to see what game I landed on  (Read 4531 times)
JeremyNunns
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2022, 06:56:03 AM »

Experiment: Exploring itch.io like I was looking for something to play.

Findings on what made me want to buy / play a game:

• itch.io appears to have a large number of hobby-project games which are perhaps not designed for the average gamer, but more for GameDevs who are themselves interested in independent and original games.

• Thumbnails, much like any other platform, are incredibly important. Having something which stands out in the crowd, is not too busy, and has just the right amount of contrast and plays with complementary colours and colour palettes is important.

• Game descriptions should be simple, concise and easy on the eyes (such as using bullet points)

• The mind is fickle!  Gentleman and personal preferences at the end of the day will trump all decision making on what someone wants. I could have quite easily paid for, downloaded and installed Foundry, but there was something about the destruction of nature to build this metal behemoth that turned me off. Perhaps if I was in a more destructive mood then a whole different set of games would appeal to me.

Here was my full process:

Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 06:28:05 AM »

I agree with your conclusion.

The Itch.io player base is mostly made of game devs beginners(there are exceptions).
I posted the full game release and had close to no sales but when I posted artpack I had a considerable amount of sale even if the artpacks cost more than the games.

So yes, Itch.io is heavy developer target audience

JeremyNunns
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 03:04:53 AM »

That's interesting. Are you talking about Chromosome Evil (which i see on Steam) or another game?

If it was another game, did you end up publishing on Steam as well?
Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 06:07:53 AM »

That's interesting. Are you talking about Chromosome Evil (which i see on Steam) or another game?

Another one. For Chromosome Evil I only posted a free version on Itch.

If it was another game, did you end up publishing on Steam as well?

Yes, it was TAURONOS

https://store.steampowered.com/app/676240/TAURONOS/

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic