Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:56:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignTurn based strategy game and inventory tetris, seeking input
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Turn based strategy game and inventory tetris, seeking input  (Read 4511 times)
failbetter
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2022, 12:10:58 PM »

I've got an idea in my mind where combat plays a bit like Chrono Trigger and the inventory is more like Resident Evil 4. One thing that seems to fall out from that is that items should be unique, meaningful -- which I like. No more wood/bronze/steel swords. I wanted to see if anyone had fun ideas for different types of items. Espcially insofar as they create meaningful choices due to the inventory's limited space...

You may defeat me today but I will return stronger tomorrow.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 03:48:40 PM »

you could make inventory items like: love, freedom, peace, the horizon, existence, and warmth, you could make anything man.

failbetter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 08:32:20 PM »

Some more ideas in case anyone ever comes across this and is curious:

* Items that confer no benefit on their own, but buff other items. e.g. a music box that grants a buff to dancing ability.
  * Items that must be placed adjacent to other items, possibly in a specific configuration, in order to have effect. e.g. placing a laser scope above a rifle for an accuracy buff.
  * Items that unlock some functionality in the world. e.g. having the flashlight in inventory highlights objects of interest in world.
  * Items that can be combined, becoming larger and more powerful. e.g. the rifle example above but fusing the two together.

Foxwarrior
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 01:02:07 PM »

I think it's time for you to play Backpack Hero: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1970580/Backpack_Hero/
failbetter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 01:22:20 PM »

I think it's time for you to play Backpack Hero: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1970580/Backpack_Hero/

Thanks for the recommendation! It's on my list but haven't done more than browse the Steam page. I had it pegged as being more inventory-puzzle-like than I want, but I bet there's lots to be inspired by.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic