Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 08:04:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to disagree with someone?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to disagree with someone?  (Read 4931 times)
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2022, 02:03:33 PM »

It seems like expressing a dissenting opinion is frowned upon, and that there are a lot of people who would rather not talk to someone who might disagree with them. How do you call bullshit on someone? How do you disagree without being too abrasive, an egoist, arrogant? It seems like winning an argument means you are automatically bad for some people who think their opinions are not to be questioned.

Or is it impossible to express disagreement without being labeled as a dissident who cannot be spoken to?

Foxwarrior
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 02:26:38 PM »

Disagree with them over Discord instead of Twitter, Twitter turns every disagreement into a public debate with a live audience. If that doesn't work, try in person, or they're probably beyond help.
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 03:32:14 PM »

I already answered in your other topic, I think the same response can be applied here.

Honest feedback michaelplzno, since you're wondering -- the way you're reacting to people in this thread is the opposite of successful networking. If this were GDC, I'd politely end the conversation and move on. There's too much ego and confrontation. Not enough listening and understanding. The video you posted is neat, but it's an early tech demo. Going off just that, you're not brilliant enough to be so abbrasive. I can tell you're frustrated, but it's not an endearing quality. Best of luck finding your tribe and making awesome games.

Coffee

"Make authentic connections" "no not by expressing how you feel, that's rude."

@failbetter was expressing how he felt, did you take offense @michaelplzno ?

Because :

@michaelplzno - asked for networking tips
@me and others - gave feedback
@michaelplzno - found nitpicks on all feedback like its not good enough for him
@me - never offer feedback to @michaelplzno in the future Smiley))
@failbetter - gave feedback on @michaelplzno feedback
@michaelplzno - does not seem to like it attaching sarcasm remark "Make authentic connections" "no not by expressing how you feel, that's rude."
@michaelplzno - "it seems like being submissive and agreeable is the key to networking, which I'm not good at sadly."

So basically @failbetter did the same, he was honest and in his last post certainly, was not "submissive and agreeable", so do you @michaelplzno feel like networking with him ?

Understand what I mean? You have expectations from people to accept you as you are but you become defensive when people do the same.
I think you only need to work on your social skills.

Now I was not very "submissive and agreeable" do you still want to "Make authentic connections" with me?

Please note that I am actually trying to help you understand what I see you are doing wrong, I hope you are smart and understand and don't take it in a negative way

Gentleman

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 12:45:44 AM »

I'm glad you are trying to help, I'm not offended.

Here's how I see it:

Me: Ask for help.
Ramos: offer your ideas.
me: explain why that won't work for me.
Failbetter: no ramos was right.
me: explain that no its still not for me.

Just because you offered help doesn't mean you've instantly solved everything. I'm grateful you are trying to help but when a person ask for help it doesn't mean that person has to take advice that is given instantly no matter what without question.

If you were to say: I need help because my spouse's cooking is really bad.
and I replied: well just stop eating altogether and tell your partner that you aren't hungry.
and then you say: lmao, I still have to eat, as a human I need sustenance!
And then I replied: well you are just nitpicking, I'm trying to help. You are being abrasive and not listening. Why don't you just take my advice?

How do you think that would make you feel?

Edit: I actually had a therapist who said that I needed to exercise to feel better, and when I said I don't like exercise and it doesn't make me feel better, he said, well there are studies that show that exercise is really the best cure for depression, and when you asked for help you consented to do what I say so if you don't do what I say I can't help you. He would also explain that "its not his job to make me feel good" and so on. I fired him of course.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 12:57:38 AM by michaelplzno » Logged

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 04:31:17 AM »

Now that I see how you have understood things in matters of social relations logic, it helps me better understand you and understand where I was also wrong.

We are 2 different people and we see things in different ways and that can cause issues but luckily for you, I am a friendly guy and luckily for me I hope that if you are crazy at least you don't know where I live  Cheesy.

@michaelplzno from Michaelplzno's perspective: explain why that won't work for me.
vs
@michaelplzno from Ramos's perspective - found nitpicks in all feedback like its not good enough for him

But know that I was not offended, I was just a bit disappointed.

I still think that car demo got a huge amount of potential and I want you to actually finish it(if its for PC because if its for mobile I am going to strangle you  Cheesy )

PS: after you finish with your therapist send it to my therapist, he needs it after a session with me

Gentleman

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 07:12:40 AM »

you guys are right, I'm being a butthead, I couldn't sleep last night and got grumpy. It just feels like there is this social dance of niceties and gestures that I will never understand.

Don't worry about me being crazy, I'm harmless, the worst I've ever done is yell real loud at people and only on extremely rare occasions.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 07:31:15 AM »

That's ok Michael, we all have good/bad days and nobody is perfect.

I just hope we won't need to call the police again because of you, like last Christmas...

Smiley))))

Gentleman

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 02:15:17 PM »

I really liked the new Halloween Ends theme of transformation and this song got in my head bigtime:

Edit, the song is restricted because there is a picture of a girl's butt.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2022, 02:04:16 AM »

its a trap

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic