Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:22:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeBlind Collaboration Experiment [Teams Assigned!]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Blind Collaboration Experiment [Teams Assigned!]  (Read 22958 times)
sloopygoop
Level 0

8-bit magical sounds...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2009, 09:34:20 AM »

No, it's something different.  After the switch-timer finishes, the controls freeze such that the player can't move or fire, and the player finishes the turn without having affected the game objects in any way.  Then control reverts to the other player, but he can't move either, even after the switch timer finishes.  The game can't be finished then because control never returns to the players.

I was playing this with my brother and we were both really enjoying it (me a little bit less because I had bad strategy), but we encountered this problem several times.  I think it was generally when the control was switching back to Team Sweets somewhere in the middle of what would have been a full game.

My music:
Strong
Level 1

Umm... okay.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »

It turns out there was a bug in the way that the game skipped the turns of dead players. This version should have that fixed.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2009, 12:00:17 PM »

On the topic of feedback, anyone have any feedback on the Experiment itself?  There seems to be some support for doing another one of these.  What do you think should change/stay the same next time?

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2009, 12:11:18 PM »

I think it'd be great if artists could choose what they want to do (ie the basic genre.)  That way they could do a platformer and if a coder is up for it, do it too.  Not completely blind, but it lets us do different things.

Also animations are a good idea, I just need to know how many frames are used in the animations.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
pgil
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »

It might be cool to have the artists do a basic tileset. Someone could provide a template that they all use, with just a couple of slopes and blocks, and maybe some scenery tiles.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2009, 12:30:12 PM »

Yeah, that'd be cool.  Also sound effects wouldn't hurt.  Maybe done by the same person that does music?  Also a bitmap font would be nice to have.

Strong
Level 1

Umm... okay.

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2009, 12:50:48 PM »

Those suggestions are nice, but honestly I really liked the collaboration the way it happened. Not knowing anywhere near what I'd get for graphics before getting them was fun- I lived in fear of making a tactical shooter populated entirely of bunnies- and it was great seeing everything come together.
tmth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2009, 03:13:29 AM »

I concur. Not knowing whether your idea will have anything to do with the programmers' was what's fun about this compo. I'd definetely do another round (not with pixelart though, as it turned out not to be my favorite style of all).

Anyway Strong, how about we did a fully-fledged version? With menus and all (I'll definetely redo the m&ms and the background, they're really sloppy now). GImme two months' time (school's starting, there won't be much time) and some dummy menu graphics and I'll try to make something better out of it.

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2009, 04:24:09 AM »

My apologies for the delay, but I'm still waiting for my graphics.

It would be nice to have a link to each game on the first post for exposure.

I agree it's more fun to not know anything at all beforehand.
I think the requirements were pretty clear, so that no shmup' ended up with Mahjong graphics. Smiley

Regards
-Martín
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:32:27 AM by nitram_cero » Logged

Working on HeliBrawl
Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2009, 06:20:08 AM »

Yeah, I think links on the first post would be a good idea too.

Also, Solarblade if you want to work with me to help polish the game I would be happy to help make some adequate menus, ui and junk.
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2009, 07:19:05 AM »

Yeah, I think links on the first post would be a good idea too.

Also, Solarblade if you want to work with me to help polish the game I would be happy to help make some adequate menus, ui and junk.

Gladly! Yea, I think a menu would be helpful. Maybe I could do a two-player mode? But yea, I'm up to improving the game. I should figure out a use for the plate graphic. Maybe the menu selector? I dunno.

As for the Experiment, I'm up to doing it again! But maybe we could have a theme? Just an idea. I liked this thing. It was great.
Strong
Level 1

Umm... okay.

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2009, 07:56:33 AM »

Anyway Strong, how about we did a fully-fledged version? With menus and all (I'll definetely redo the m&ms and the background, they're really sloppy now). GImme two months' time (school's starting, there won't be much time) and some dummy menu graphics and I'll try to make something better out of it.
Yeah, definitely. I'd love to do a bigger version of this. I'll keep working on it.
sloopygoop
Level 0

8-bit magical sounds...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2009, 08:34:58 AM »

I'm still waiting to see how everything got implemented in EchoP and Theo's game, but I like how my other team's game turned out.  I think the "completely blind" aspect of this collaboration was a fun and exciting way to do it.

Strong, tmth, I'm on board for making music for menus, etc.  Let's do it!

My music:
tmth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2009, 10:58:48 AM »

Hm, so here's some thoughts on our game.
Winning as team vegetables is really hard. I think the player character is not strong enough to be a great danger to sweets.
Does the direction you are being fired at have any impact on damage taken? It should! Never turn your back to an opponent!

EchoP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2009, 02:18:17 PM »

I just got the art assets, and they are really awesome looking  Grin

Will put them in and upload later today when I have a few minutes.
EchoP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2009, 11:52:40 PM »

Team Echo, SloopyGoop and Theo Present:

The game uses XNA, so it only works on Windows (so far as I know), and requires a small framework to be installed to play.
For people who do not have the framework (Use this if you are unsure): Download Here with framework (8MB)
For people who already have the framework: Download Here without framework (2MB)

I am amazed at how awesome this has turned out. The graphics, music and game have really worked well in a crazy kinda way.

Note: The purple guys that do not move are power-ups, hitting them is a good idea, they appear every 20 seconds or so.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:59:40 PM by EchoP » Logged
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2009, 10:06:30 AM »

That looks awesome.  Shocked

sloopygoop
Level 0

8-bit magical sounds...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2009, 12:26:04 PM »

Aw crap, I don't have a graphics card with pixel shader or vertex shader!  Can you post a gameplay vid, Echo?

My music:
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2009, 01:05:21 PM »

I selfishly took this collab as a reason to test out a gameplay idea I had.  I think it has potential, but I'm not sure where to take it.  I guess I'll have to think about it.

This prototype shows off that gameplay:

http://www.dreamofwinds.com/bulletproto.zip

It's mouse-only.  Use the left mouse button to aim, and the right mouse-button (+ dragging) to zoom in and out. 

Right now you can't die and there are way more enemies that would be intentional.  The AI is also kinda screwy.... The game itself will have you reloading into your own guys (rather than killing them as it does now) and you will be limited to the number of soldiers you can have on the field.  Also, stuff will kill you.  I also have a planned use for every sprite I was given, but only one enemy is currently working.

Kevin, Pgil, I'd appreciate any input you have.  If you're interested in pursuing this project, just let me know.  If you aren't, that's fine too!  We all have things to do.  Wink

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2009, 01:21:25 PM »

Oh, man, that looks even crazier than I intended. I don't know about you guys, but I had fun with this.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic