Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:02:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGameswhich games have you "hate completed" and why?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: which games have you "hate completed" and why?  (Read 5648 times)
Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2022, 03:28:33 AM »

What is "hate complete"? Well it's like hate f-

It's when you play a game from start to the credits even though you hate the game. I started Bloodborne I fear I might finish it despite feeling about 90 % of the design choices are ill-suited for my preferences. I am compelled.

Have I ever hate completed before? Yes: Mass Effect. I expected Baldur's Gate on (at the time) next-gen hardware, and instead got a shooter that felt like frothy dough and systems that afforded little creative play. Still, I was invested to see the finish line. So when the credits finally rolled, I sat there feeling empty and stupid. Don't be me kids.

Then I played Mass Effect 2 and loved it. I r moron.

How about you?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 03:38:43 PM by Sketchwhale » Logged

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 08:26:36 AM »

When I played Diablo III I didn't complete it but I played longer than I wanted to because I hated it so much. They seem to have cleaned it up a bit with better loot progression and the meta game of collecting cube abilities but the whole thing was disappointing.

Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 03:38:12 PM »

Some might call that "giving it your best shot" :D I'm guessing you had fond memories of earlier entries?

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 11:58:11 AM »

Some things that happened early on in CrossCode really rubbed me the wrong way, and I was about to quit early, but decided to press on out of spite. There was a big turning point in the middle where I suddenly found something to care about in the story, and slowly over time I got used to the mechanics that I hadn't liked at first. By the time I finished the expansion, I'd fallen completely in love and it's now one of my absolute favorite games. Sometimes things work out!

flowerthief
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 12:19:43 PM »

I have a story to beat all of yours.

When I was a younger geek I kept a long list of all NES games I had played to completion and took pride in adding titles to the list.

But there was a game that eluded me -- NES Gauntlet. Waiting at the end of that game, if you can even get there, is a difficult dragon fight.

I discovered a trick. If you can get there with two players and have one player strategically sacrifice himself to die directly in front of the dragon, he'll leave a pile of stuff that will block some of the dragon fire.

So I trained my little brother to play Gauntlet with me so that he could become my sacrifice. He hated it more than me. "Why do we have to keep playing this game!?" But I was the older brother so he had to do what I said. I went on to defeat the dragon and reach the ending, stepping over the corpse of my brother who had been trained to die for my glory, and add that title to my list.
Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 10:11:18 AM »

You overcame your hate! And reminded me to play CrossCode. Have seen their new game? Looks real good.

I have a story to beat all of yours...

Oh you're definitely in the lead so far. You're a monster AND you subverted the topic with proxy-hate completion.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 06:01:44 PM »

You overcame your hate! And reminded me to play CrossCode. Have seen their new game? Looks real good.

Whoa dang, I hadn't! I knew they were working on one, but I didn't know it was so far along already. I just watched the pre-alpha video from August, and this looks like it's going to be a treat.

Sketchwhale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 03:04:30 AM »

Whoa dang, I hadn't! I knew they were working on one, but I didn't know it was so far along already. I just watched the pre-alpha video from August, and this looks like it's going to be a treat.

I feel like we could call this a God of War-ization, as in, they're taking a pretty known gameplay, and just making it far more pleasant to play than anyone before.

On topically, I didn't exactly hate completing GoW18, but it was about 20 hours too long, seeing as the story dragged out. When you repeat the same boss 5-6 times, you DON'T have content for length of the game :D

Senespera
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2023, 05:26:01 PM »

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links.

It's a PvP game, so technically you can't say you've actually completed it till you've become the King of Games, but I got all the Steam achievements after 632 hours. You're not cruel enough to take it away from me.

That game was all about the metas, and I hate playing the metas. I'm highly prone to "Fuck you I won't do what you tell me" attitude. I spent all my time constructing decks around anything that caught my eye.

Noticed many Fish-type monsters can destroy other cards? Nobody uses that? "Death Fish".
Noticed it's easy to cheese out Flare Wingman? Nobody uses that? "Flash Game".
Noticed I can get The Winged Dragon of Ra to ridiculous ATK using Marik's skill that leaves him with 1 HP? Nobody uses that? "It Saddens Me To Know".
By far my least successful deck. Bots usually beat me.

I wanted out of that game. Not enjoying it. Not sure why I didn't leave just when I realized it. Stupid mentality. Play games you want. Maybe it was an addiction. Yeah, thinking back, it's the only explanation.

The hardest achievement is getting 100 prismatic cards. There is no quick way to get it. Well, I guess there is, but I'm still waiting on Bezos's reply to my challenge proposal. Basically, you reach certain in-game milestones and participate in events. Hated every minute of it, but I did it. I hope that suffering taught me to leave any situation that will most likely not bring me more happiness.

Got a bit too real here. Oh - I also name all max capacity decks "Big Deck Is Back In Town". If half the fun of this game is building decks, the other one is naming them.

Greetings, voidlings!
Alex N.
Level 1

game dev!? so you play all day?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2023, 12:36:13 PM »

I am hate-completing the second episode of Star Craft 2, Heart of the Swarm.
It's not bad, but compared to Wings of Liberty (the only chapter I finished), I have a hard time giving-a-crap about zerg's agenda.

I desperately want to emerge into the story, but besides Abathur (the Dwight Schrute of the swarm) and maybe Stukov with the funny mouth animation, everyone feels irrelevant... especially Kerrigan with her high-school musical hissy fits.

I'll power my way through, towards Legacy of the Void.

2D Artist & Animator - https://www.behance.net/AlexNae

I used to be here often:
The Underground King  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60979
Game Of Foot  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58338.0
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2023, 12:48:22 PM »

Blizard's current story people need to change, idk if they got Diablo 4 to work but diablo 3's story made me quit the game, and starcraft 2 wasn't too interesting either, even though I pre-ordered it because of the hype.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic