Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:51:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Platformer] Cat Platform game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Platformer] Cat Platform game  (Read 505 times)
CY-Wu
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2022, 09:33:33 PM »

Nice to see you here and thank you for checking our game.

Our game is a platformer game with a cat character. The goal of the game is to collect all collectibles in the level. And the main challenge of the game changes to how to get to the location of the collectibles. Enemies are not able to be attacked. You have to dodge them.

How the game looks like:

Look what I find:

I'm sure I can climb on the wall. Cuz I'm a cat:

Dogs are too bad for a cat:

Although we have worked on this project for 3 weeks, this week we decided to completely change our gameplay because playtesters said the game was not fun. We add a arrow pointing to collectibles, in order to prevent player from getting lost in the level. We also added some UI for counting collectibles. We change the goal of the game to collect all collectibles in the level. We believe this goal will make players willing to explore our levels. We find that players always say it is difficult to understand our mechanics. As a result, we added a lot of instructions in tutorial level.

We spent lots of times making our basic gameplay. From next weeks we will focus on new levels, new enemies and new challenges.

Want to try our game? Check: https://cywu.itch.io/eecs494-p3-cat-stealth
mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 11:11:51 AM »

I gave this a quick test. Otherwise everything is quite fluid, but it seems strange that there are separate controls for up (W), jump (space) and climb (L). Wouldn’t it be more intuitive to climb by just pressing W? And cats have nine lives, not just three.Smiley

BTW, I wonder if you’re familiar with Alley Cat, a definitive cat-game for us oldsters?

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
CY-Wu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 07:22:58 AM »

Thanks for comments and advice! We get lots of feedback on control, music and art. We wrote them down in a notebook and discussed how we should change it. We need more time to try different design.

This week we designed 2 new levels. These 2 new levels are very different from previous levels. Our cat teleports to a castle in the underland. Explore the new mechanic: electric power. Electricity make the cat able to attract or repel objects as well as activating some platforms(or even enemies). If you are interested, check our newest version at https://cywu.itch.io/eecs494-p3-cat-stealth

what the new level looks like:

Our work of last week: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=73882.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 07:28:42 AM by CY-Wu » Logged
CY-Wu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 05:58:15 PM »

Thank you for giving us advice for the game. This week we added a new mechanic which is completely opposite to the attraction we added last week: repelling. This ability is also drove by electrical power, so it is the same button as attraction.

A cool thing is that repelling make it possible to float in the air!

Besides, we added some puzzle elements to our game. For example, a trigger to open doors:

And to test if players master all mechanics, we made a complex level. The cat need to use all mechanics to get through it.

We are doing these changes because we think that puzzles will make players do more exploration in the game. And as the game become more complex, remember to notice the guiding arrow.

Next we are going to add more sound effects to our game. Also we will arrange some playtest to get more feedbacks from players.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic