Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:29:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingInnkeeper's Basement - a roguelike deckbuilding minesweeper
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Innkeeper's Basement - a roguelike deckbuilding minesweeper  (Read 1734 times)
Rebel Egg Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2022, 09:24:21 AM »

Hi everyone! Smiley

Would love to get your feedback on Innkeeper's Basement - a roguelike card game inspired by the classic Minesweeper. It's available as a demo and a full version on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2326210/Innkeepers_Basement/

The game is easy to pick up for a non-gamer, it does not even have a tutorial and still people tend to understand the mechanics, however to win it requires a lot of minmaxing, hence it's aimed for hardcore players. Wink

Please do share your thoughts on this Minesweeper-twist and looking forward!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 07:32:35 AM by Rebel Egg Games » Logged

flowerthief
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 04:09:33 PM »

This is kind of cool. I only tried it once tho since full screen doesn't work and it's hard to read the cards.

I mostly understood it I guess? A tutorial once it's ready will definitely help. I didn't realize at first that you occupy no particular location on the map as in roguelikes, but rather are playing the entire board as in Minesweeper. But if that's so then I don't understand how radius matters.

Actually, there's a lot that I don't understand. Sometimes when I use a card there's another copy of the same card underneath it. Also don't understand how armor works. Or why I had so much trouble damaging the skeleton. Or how to kill a desolator. Or what the numbers at the top of the screen mean. Yeah, definitely needs a proper tutorial. But good work so far!
Rebel Egg Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 07:24:03 AM »

Hey and thanks for feedback, flowerthief Smiley

Glad you've managed to play regardless of the fullscreen issue and good that you've noticed the Minesweeper mechanic reference! I highly recommend playing a Desktop (Downloaded) version, as it's a lot more stable still.

As the iterations come I hope that you'll manage to get it without a tutorial, though - our goal is to make it as easy to understand as we possibly can with so many mechanics inside. Smiley

Armor blocks dmg before Health is damaged. Some cards have Penetration, which means these directly harm the mob and it loses HP, even it still has some Armor on.

Looking forward to your next feedback! Smiley

« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 07:30:18 AM by Rebel Egg Games » Logged

Rebel Egg Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 09:48:00 AM »

Just released version 0.18, a.k.a. "Winter" version of Innkeeper's Basement, with a multitude of changes that include:
- HUGE UX/UI overhaul - game finally looks decent! Wink
- Shop & gold! - go buy yourself something nice! :D
- New cards,
- Bugfixes,
- Balance.

Next version - in January - will be more content-focused. Have a wonderful day and please share your feedback! Smiley

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 12:11:42 PM »

Hey Rebel Egg,

I played your game:

Rebel Egg Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 12:15:45 AM »

Hey Rebel Egg,

I played your game:

Thank you very much! Love your video Smiley you will be first forever :D

I will answer a couple of things:

1. Why you didn't see that you took damage - damage wents in first, then regen happens - so basically you regened the damage.

2. You didn't notice that when you switch levels, all the visible enemies deal "attack of opportunity" - I think I will put a warning there.

3. Tutorial is something I'm planning to add for the Steam demo Smiley

4. Potion of Rebirth says that it removes all cards. Maybe I will put this part in red color as a warning Smiley

Please check out the today's 0.18 version - I think it is worth it Smiley

Rebel Egg Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 06:11:54 AM »

Hello everyone!

Version 0.19 of Innkeeper's Basement has been released! https://rebelegggames.itch.io/innkeepers-basement

Among other changes, this version adds the Event System to the game. Events are marked with a (placeholder) red exclamation mark "!".

0.19 Changelog:
- Game event system with 10 events!
- New race: Dwarf
- New classes: Bomb Master and Martyr
- 31 new cards
- 5 new units (2 spottable in events, 3 unreachable yet)
- Small UX improvements
- Bugfixes
- Balance

New content isn't fully balanced yet, so don't get surprised if you find something too OP. Wink

The next version - 0.20 - will be more focused on bugfixing, UX, polishing & balance - hopefully I will manage to remove most (if not all) placeholders and replace them with generated graphics Smiley

Happy adventuring!

northspire
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 05:30:31 PM »

I tried it out, and the UI and card art look really neat. Managing my health, mana, and stamina was an interesting challenge.

Personally, I had some trouble understanding the game. Maybe a tutorial or some text might help clear things up faster. For me, it was confusing when the enemies attack you and when you draw cards normally. It seems like these happen only after exploring a tile?

I ended up getting stuck on a floor with a monster covering the stairs down, since I ran out of cards and couldn't draw more. Maybe if managing cards is also a key part of the game, would there be a way to accept a massive disadvantage to draw a card and avoid a stalemate?

Regardless, good work on the game! Will be exciting to see what comes in the future updates

Working on Death Unphased
Rebel Egg Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 07:44:42 AM »

Thank you for the feedback.

A simple tutorial should come with the Steam demo release.
Generally yes, 1 tile = turn. You can skip turns via Campfire and now also Altar of Sacrifice(added in 0.20).

Try to use mechanics I mentioned above when in stalemate Wink

If everything goes ok, 0.21 will be released this week, along with one of the major game mechanics, which will enable everyone to delve deeper into deckbuilding!

Rebel Egg Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 03:20:22 AM »

Hello adventurers! v0.21 of Innkeeper's Basement has just been released on itch.io!

This update introduces one of the core game mechanics - Grimoire! Gain a wisdom point for every 3 unlocked cards - spend those points to ban given card from spawning in the game! (not including starting cards!)

v0.21 Changelog:
- Grimoire!
- 6 new cards (poison/acid)
- Export/Import should work properly in WebGL now (earlier version didn't allow to copy/paste data outside of game) - game might ask you for permission to read the clipboard!
- Bugfixes (now campfire & shop should work properly, among others)
- UX improvements

Known issues:
- Save export (to string) is not exporting Grimoire data - will be fixed in 0.22!

The game is still missing one last core mechanic - Karma points - those will be awarded for each unique race/class combo that manages to beat given dungeon (only once per combo) - going through different playstyles will make more sense then Smiley

But don't worry - finishing the last dungeon won't require any grind! This mechanic will be in the game so that even less skilled players can beat the game at some point (think "Dark Souls" - you can beat it with no grind).

Once the game is feature-complete, I will finally be able to focus on polishing the game & adding new content ^^.

Please join our Discord Server!

Play the game here --> https://rebelegggames.itch.io/innkeepers-basement

Happy adventuring!

Rebel Egg Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 07:37:03 AM »

Attention! Innkeeper's Basement just released in Early Access on Steam! :D

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2326210/Innkeepers_Basement/

Looking forward to seeing you in game! Smiley

Release trailer:

Pages: [1]