Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:20:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralYou'd Start A Riot If A Voice Actor Wasn't Credited
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: You'd Start A Riot If A Voice Actor Wasn't Credited  (Read 2331 times)
goobTwoFiveSix
« on: December 15, 2022, 01:08:30 PM »

But someone who puts 10+ years into open source software? All I hear is people insist they don't need to be credited.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 01:21:33 PM »

where is a person rioting about the former and insisting on the latter

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
goobTwoFiveSix
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 01:45:01 PM »

Are you trying to say you don't credit software projects or are you asking me to search back in the past at the probably at least a dozen times I've seen this specifically?
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 09:53:06 PM »

The amount of people who care about credits, for voice actors, or open source software, or even in movies and tv, is about 2 or 3 dozen people on a planet of billions. There may be some people puffing up tweet wars about credits for things but if you just talk to random people they will have no idea. I was talking to a scientist over drinks once and mentioned this guy "Jon Blow" and I had to explain, "He thinks he's the greatest game designer but no one has heard of him." and the guy I was talking to said something like "oh that's nice"

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 09:56:02 PM »

Always try to avoid getting stuck in a bubble: sometimes we aren't aware when we get trapped in an echo chamber that isn't really representative of the larger human spectrum.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 11:32:42 PM »

Are you trying to say you don't credit software projects or are you asking me to search back in the past at the probably at least a dozen times I've seen this specifically?
the latter. It's a nice thing that more people care about workers getting credited for their work. It's unfortunate if software developers haven't been included to the same degree but I think you're imagining some kind of division that's not there, as if this were a zero sum thing. It's however not surprising that more "audience facing" and directly relatable work gets more attention.

goobTwoFiveSix
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 08:21:37 AM »

It's unfortunate if software developers haven't been included to the same degree but I think you're imagining some kind of division that's not there, as if this were a zero sum thing.

I wouldn't agree. People grab libraries, hell they base whole games off my games and don't credit me... because when someone plays the game, they'll never find out. People are dishonest. If they don't credit a voice actor, they might find out... so usually they get credited.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 09:36:22 AM »

The mentality probably exists for the same reason a painter usually doesn't think to credit the inventor and supplier of their paints and brushes and canvases. If you weren't *directly* involved your work will be seen more as tools and building blocks, (I can think of one example where a friend of mine had his creative commons music used as the entire soundtrack of a certain very successful indie game. In a video by the dev someone commented that they love the music, and the dev responded something to the effect of "thank you, I think I'm very good at picking out music for my games", lol).
It's thoughtlessness, not malice or dishonesty.
If you want to raise awareness of how the critical work of software developers often goes uncredited in games I'm with you but your angle of pitting programmers against voice actors is nonsense.

goobTwoFiveSix
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2022, 09:44:51 AM »

I wasn't pitting programmers against voice actors. That was just an example. I have nothing against anyone who contributes to games, I have hundreds of people credited in my games including playtesters and that one big mistake crowd fund I did.
DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 06:13:33 AM »

a friend of mine had his creative commons music used as the entire soundtrack of a certain very successful indie game. In a video by the dev someone commented that they love the music, and the dev responded something to the effect of "thank you, I think I'm very good at picking out music for my games", lol).

This is just lovely. xD

Guess we're so used to internet being free that we're not even thankful for its contents anymore.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2023, 10:46:02 AM »

Don't credit me: pay me.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 10:47:33 AM »

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW