Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:51:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCorrupted within - Tower defense
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Corrupted within - Tower defense  (Read 635 times)
Gernermale
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2022, 02:22:08 PM »

What is the story of corrupted within?

Corrupted within takes place in an earth populated by Kings of each element. Every king follows a strict guideline as to not take over humanity who were created by the highest ranking official. Nobody cared about humans as they were weak and not worth taking over. Until they started to improve in technology, surpassing every element as inferior, only then did the kings start to care. When the highest ranking official went into hibernation, the strict guideline was broken and each ruler wanted a piece of humanity to help aid them in their conquest as the strongest leader. But you arrent going to give up your hard work so easily.

Along the way, you will uncover dark secrets that this place you call earth holds and figure who exactly is your Creator. But dont worry commander! As long as you follow orders, everything will go smoothy.

What is the gameplay of corrupted within?

You have an inventory of max 7 towers that you can place. Each tower has 2 paths, his own ability, strenghts and weakness in the early, mid or late game that you must figure out and put into your strategy to conquer a level. Not only that but you have 2 abilities that you can use to help aid your defense. Ranging from buffing a single tower to spawning helicopters.

Watch out though, enemies present arent exactly just punching bags. A lot of enemies have a stun ability, ranging for a simple single target stun to a multiple tower stun with an effect on their range,firerate or damage. Enemies also have special properties, such a simple hidden or flying enemy all the way to an enemy that can be targeted by specific towers at a specific time, or enemies that are immune to some effects that towers do.

During some levels there will also be special towers that are only present in the level and nowhere else.

In case the game gets boring, there will always be modifiers and master levels (not added yet) that will make even the best of players still have fun while replaying levels.

What makes corrupted within distinct from other td games?

Corrupted within combines lore and gameplay into a single package, making it much more engaging combined with the almanac and cutscenes. Gameplay is different while still seeming familiar with other td games. You can play it like a traditional td game, or combine the game with a lot of special towers, abilities, harder difficulties and modifiers to ge the true hell aspect.

Its still early in development, and having some feedback would be appreciated wheter positive or negative

Game link: https://gernermale.itch.io/corrupted-within
DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 11:34:28 AM »

Hi!

I tried to play your game, but unfortunately I could not launch a mission - clicking the "Play Mission" does nothing except click-sound (even after choosing the only "unlocked" one obviously, the "Connector"). Tried to restart the game too. Unfortunately no error message either. Sad
(old Intel, old NVidia, Windows 10, no issues running Unity in itself, downloaded the latest v1.7.6)

I do have 3 notes already tho, from what I've seen:
1. When I click "Play", the game shows me a map and asks me to "choose a mission". But from the looks of the icons, there is no way to tell which missions are locked and which are not (forced me to click on all of them). I think it would be best to "pre-pick" the first mission for me, as it is the only one unlocked. (btw it would also be cool to make the map bigger Wink)
2. Because I clicked all the missions, I noticed they all have visible descriptions. I read them - and now I know the story of the entire campaign without even playing the game. You say in your post that you want to focus on storytelling too - I would then hide descriptions of all the locked missions, as not to spoil the surprise (in other words, you want the story to unfold slowly, throughout the entire game).
3. Just a detail: When I press Escape in any of the sub-menus, it should always work as the "Back" button. Right now the Options get open instead, from anywhere, which is confusing at first and a bit annoying later. Wink

Sorry I couldn't actually try it. I still wish you good luck with it. Gentleman
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 11:40:34 AM by DarkGran » Logged
Gernermale
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 11:47:51 AM »

Well, to play the game you have to have a tower in your inventory. And other stuff you mentioned, yea im trying but im no UI artist. Ill make sure to atleast make it obvious what missions you have unlocked and which are locked, also ill be looking into the description part because i think i missed a line of code or something because you are definitelynot supposed to know the story without unlocking a mission. And about the third thing you mentioned, yea i think you're right ill be adding that for sure.
DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 11:57:32 AM »

Well, to play the game you have to have a tower in your inventory. And other stuff you mentioned,...

Oh! Honestly I jumped through the mechanics part of your text, hoping I will pick up the mechanics on the go. Wouldn't imagine there could arise such an issue. (Fail on my playtesting-part, I admit. Still tho, maybe implement some warning like "You don't have a tower in your inventory!" when people try to start a mission without one... or maybe some kind of a tutorial (tutorial screen on launch at least?))

What I've learned in the last years is that people generally don't want to read game descriptions - they just want to play the game. Whatever you want to tell them, you have to put that in the game.

I'll give it another try. Wink
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 12:49:25 PM by DarkGran » Logged
DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 12:47:47 PM »

Okay pretty good. Grin Managed to stay in game for a while even though I'm actually not a big fan of TDs (I usually find them too repetitive).
For whole 14 waves, easy difficulty! I didn't leave though. Ninja's came out of nowhere. Ninja
They left me with measly 45 credits, not even enough to upgrade to a 2nd tower...

Tongue Soooo to address things I did not figure out (and you don't mention them in your description here):
- I did have upgraded recons, was missing only the 7,5K merc ability, so I'm not sure what I should have done. Is there like an ability bar? Was I supposed to use some "active" recon on the ninjas?
- What the F... and H thingies do. Tongue Clicking it does nothing, pressing those keys does nothing (or so it seems).
- Can I buy more towers into my bar during a mission?

Details and my fails aside (some could be avoided with a simple tutorial screen explaining the basic stuff), I actually liked it, the visuals too, even though I'm a little anti-minecraft. Tongue
The intro was super cute! And I definitely applaud you took the time with it (loved the "sweaty face moment" of the commander xD who is just lovely as an avatar too) ...the only issue is that it offered like a page of text in mere seconds. xD Maybe pause the cutscene with each paragraph and let the player "press space to continue"?

Although thinking about the quirky lines in the game itself ("why you poor") and the general mood of the artstyle, you might actually want to cut the paragraphs instead. Right now you kinda talk about serious storytelling, and you do drop some serious paragraph on the player in the intro (or that's how they seemed in the speed I had to read them in), but the rest of the game is not serious at all - more "funny". I think it would help the game if you focused on the funny instead of the serious war stuff, it would go better with the artstyle, and gameplay too, probably (but that's just my opinion). Wink

Hope these notes help somehow.
Anyway, well done and good luck in the future! Beer!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 04:45:41 PM by DarkGran » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic