Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:04:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsPixel Art Tutorials
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Art Tutorials  (Read 263141 times)
Bebop
Level 0

Space Monkey Rocks

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2007, 11:41:11 AM »

I am sure some poeple have good site about it. Please post interesting and useful links about pixel art.
Zaphos
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 01:52:27 PM »

I think a standard favorite one is So You Want To Be A Pixel Artist? by Tsugumo ...
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 02:20:51 PM »

http://www.spriteart.com/ also has some good tutorials.

axel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 02:37:44 PM »

Well, there's an excellent pixel art tutorial on Mr Yu's website ^_^

Chainsaw surgery.
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 08:36:09 AM »

I think a standard favorite one is So You Want To Be A Pixel Artist? by Tsugumo ...

An updated url with some new chapters.

http://www.bigbluebubble.com/pixeltutorial/

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 08:41:55 AM »

http://www.pixel-arts.org/pixelation/index.php?topic=3421.0

Tsugumo just posted some good shit on Pixelation. Smiley
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 09:06:43 AM »

Excellent, so he was allowed to share the Mage Knight art.  AKA, how he spent his 2005.   Smiley

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:19:50 AM »

Hey those two look yummy... Smiley
I especially like those special effects. I always wondered how to do those so the look good. Does anyone have any resources on pixel explosions and other energy firy like effects?

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 11:45:20 AM »

sweet links.
good timing too...for some reason this week i felt this uncontrolable urge to do pixel art for some reason.

im having a lot of fun and i figure its a good skill to have when you're an indie game dev...

plus its just so pretty.

SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 02:25:53 PM »

Is the pixel art and stuff done in Paint?

Despite my wanting to learn, I cringe when I think of working with Paint.

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 04:34:19 PM »

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 06:08:11 PM »

That is so, insulting. It's got nothing to do with pixel technics, it's not that good, and something would be much more suited to vectors. What kind of lame, Lamey McLamerson titles himself "god" of something he can't do right?

Ahem.

So yeah, there are quite a few good pixel artists that work with MSP, but most suggest Graphics Gale or Promotion or something else like that. I personally use Graphics Gale:
http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/index.html
I forget how much it costs, but the trial is pretty functional. It just can't save animated gifs, but you can export as strips and go from there (like me).

Also, a tutorial:
http://www.manningkrull.com/pixel_art/tutorials/walking.asp

constantine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 01:48:05 PM »

That is so, insulting. It's got nothing to do with pixel technics, it's not that good, and something would be much more suited to vectors. What kind of lame, Lamey McLamerson titles himself "god" of something he can't do right?

Ahem.

You're an idi

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 03:17:38 PM »

He's obviously working from photographs, and when he has to do fine detail it's completely skewiff and broken. As mentioned he'd be much better off with Illustrator or some other vector art package.

Oh yeah, Graphics Gale is either free, or if you want animated GIFs and a couple of other useless features is really super cheap at $17 or £8. But it's not as functional as Pro Motion IMO (was raised on DPaint though so I would say that). I have also found it to be mildly buggy. Sadly Pro Motion is not that cheap at $78 (£40), although a Lite version (only two significant drawbacks: no onionskin, no redefine keyboard shortcuts) is available at £29.95 (£15).

I've never found MS Paint to be useful but if you're used to it then I guess...

Also I've never tried the GIMP.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:26:39 AM by Alex May » Logged

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 07:07:47 PM »

You're an idi

Sigh! No real need for that, and it's true, that has absolutely nothing to do with pixel art. He uses the goddamned spray can (Assuming from the Idi link) for god's sake. That's the worst tool ever conceived.

Also, for Pro-Motion Lite, it's missing almost all the tools unique to it (Auto-tile completion, auto-mirroring), so the lite version is pretty much Graphics Gale with the Pro-Motion interface.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:10:06 PM by Inane » Logged

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
constantine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 08:53:52 PM »

Sigh! No real need for that, and it's true, that has absolutely nothing to do with pixel art. He uses the goddamned spray can (Assuming from the Idi link) for god's sake. That's the worst tool ever conceived.
How is this not pixel art?  Is it because he's not making sprites or emoticons for Deviant Art?  Is he not using pixels to create the image?  Or is it because he didn't make a dragon?
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 09:01:46 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_art

Wikipedia is our friend.

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 09:50:56 PM »

There's no need to be so exclusive. The guy's a little cocky, yeah, but it's still an interesting skill he has that is applied to pixel work. When he starts saying he's YOUR pixel god, then maybe I can see the point of a little trash talking.

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 04:58:05 AM »

He's obviously not skilled at making artwork on a pixel level, only on a broad stroke level. Therefore people are taking issue with him calling himself a pixel god, as it's clearly not applicable in this case.

Of course it is ok to use different tools to make pixel art, there isn't any need to be exclusive and say that using the smooth brush is lame or whatever. That's elitist and pointless. But this pixel god guy simply isn't very good  Kiss

constantine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 10:33:56 AM »

So are you saying he is or is not pixel art?

A lot of the posts berating this guy are smug and self-satisfactory (elitist, one might say).  Comments about how he <i>should</i> use a vector graphics program instead of MS Paint, how his technique is sloppy (even though he comes out with fabulous results), and how he uses the paint brush, the "worst tool ever concieved".  But no one actually said anything that indicated it wasn't pixel art.  I think more people take issue with his hubris and his drawing of cars than whether or not he's an actual pixel artist.

Remember, just because it's not tiny or high contrast doesn't mean it's not pixel art.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic