Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:32:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBREAKING NEWS! Turning this into something productive/positive
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS! Turning this into something productive/positive  (Read 14574 times)
Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 06:58:56 AM »

Also I think I know who Incubator Games is, but I'm gonna need a little while to confer!

I don't think he's really trying to hide is he? On the XNA forums he goes by Radek Koncewicz and publicly posted the article link for the first part of that series. As well he's been referring regularly to the game being made, so it's not that hard to find him on forums he's posted about the game...

http://www.stegersaurus.com - Yet another blog about games
Mega Monster Mania - Procedural, fast paced dungeon running
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 07:01:41 AM »

nihilocrat: it's in comment #14 Smiley

So, as far as the whole anonymous blog thing goes (if anybody cares!), Incubator Games is actually David Churchill and Radek Koncewicz (right on, Stego!)  I have lots of juicy details about these douchebags but I am not privileged to share it unfortunately.  Suffice to say they are definitely unprofessional dicks.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:33:12 AM by AdamAtomic » Logged

cup full of magic charisma
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 08:10:59 AM »

From the few posts which were linked to here, I think the problem really is the way you reply to the others at times. A moderator really doesn't have to look like some "badass" to be respected. You may be very right with what you're saying, but you also have to make others understand why you are. Just saying "I'm right, and if you don't agree you're an idiot" doesn't do that. In the other post you linked to it was just right, telling the person what is wrong, why it is, and what he has to do, in a friendly or at least neutral manner.
Being somewhat aggressive or provocative will only lead to similar reactions, while that's totally unnecessary. So, I think especially as the moderator you should just aim to make matters most understandable, even if you think "What an idiot, I shouldn't have to tell him" Wink

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 08:48:34 AM »

Yeap!  Agreed.  You definitely reap what you sow anytime you aren't 100% professional on the internets, unfortunately, and I have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth Smiley  I called Ron Carmel Kyle Gabler right to his face at GDC this year :D  it was rad.

But these guys are still douchebags!

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 09:07:17 AM »

breaking news more liek old news lol

JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 09:51:49 AM »

Hi, my name's Radek Koncewicz, and a post on my personal blog is the focus of this thread.

I've actually been reading the TIG Forums for a while, but only registered now to respond. I've found the info on this site incredibly helpful for someone just starting off, particularly the personal testimonials of people dealing with various publishers/web portals/aggregators/etc. In fact, the aim of my own posts was to provide similar information -- a specific account of how I went about the various tasks involved in creating a game. Adam's response to my ad on Pixelation was part of that experience, so I mentioned it.

Without reiterating everything that's been said, I will concede that calling out Adam by name on an anonymous blog might not have been the best idea. It wasn't meant as a personal attack, though, and the anonimity was really a leftover from when I first started the site. As Stegersaurus mentioned, I wasn't that hard to find.

I still plan on catalouging this whole experience of creating a game, and hopefully my future posts will turn out purely informative rather than inflammatory.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 10:01:10 AM »

Professionalism +1  Gentleman

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 10:08:03 AM »

Wow, nice response.  It's nice to see peace being made.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 10:16:07 AM »

indeed!  I would love to see this turn into a positive and informative experience for all Smiley

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 10:31:16 AM »

The day I'm accused of racism is the day I know I'm famous.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 11:23:10 AM »

(To be fair he wasn't really called a racist, he was called prejudice. The racism/sexism bit was just an example.)  Gentleman
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 11:32:41 AM »

shut up, hitler.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 11:33:26 AM »

For the majority of the population there doesn't seem to exist difference between those words.

Hey, Fish is your fan! Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 11:34:06 AM »

(To be fair he wasn't really called a racist, he was called prejudice. The racism/sexism bit was just an example.)  Gentleman

yes, but nobody likes to be fair on the internet. if you're on the internet, "this is where racism comes from" = "you are a racist"

JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 12:31:30 PM »

yes, but nobody likes to be fair on the internet. if you're on the internet, "this is where racism comes from" = "you are a racist"

But beyond that, simple prejudices over observed behaviors aren't the same as racism at all.  It's a silly comparison to make.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 12:47:41 PM »

he didn't say it's the same as racism, though, he said it comes from the same source. which is true, but also kinda irrelevant. there are many things which come from the same source but which have very different results. for instance, terrorism and romanticism can both come from the same source (something like idealism).

Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »

Hand Money LeftHand Money Right

In all seriousness, I don't believe he said anything bad about Adam in the body of the article; he simply was reporting his thoughts on what happened. Exploiting artists is not a good thing, and I know Adam is looking out for community members, but if $800 was his budget that was determined based upon feedback he received from the artists themselves, I don't really see a problem with it.

(I love you Adam)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:29:59 PM by Ryan » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 01:15:05 PM »

Paul - I actually discussed that exact option with the other moderators but we still haven't made a decision about whether or not that's a forum we want to offer or not, or if it would even address the problem (cheap employers still wanting their gigs in the "good jobs" forum)...

one thing to consider though is not that employers are cheap or trying to cheat artists, but another possibility is that they just don't have the money to pay full price. not everyone has $5000 to spend on the art of their indie game, some people only have $800, or whatever other amount. so i think a place for lower-priced jobs would be a good idea for people who don't have that much of a budget -- not everyone who is poor is trying to cheat pixel artists, i mean, and if they're not allowed to place their post there if they can only pay "exploitive rates" then they don't really have anywhere to post in

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 02:18:16 PM »

not everyone has $5000 to spend on the art of their indie game, some people only have $800, or whatever other amount. so i think a place for lower-priced jobs would be a good idea for people who don't have that much of a budget...

I think 'Underpaid' might be prejudicial as a forum name.  I'd advocate 'Bargain Bazaar' both to imply the cheap nature of offers and bids within, and to suggest that those within may be more than willing to bargain or barter.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic