Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:55:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingYOU ARE DRAGON - 5 min Story Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: YOU ARE DRAGON - 5 min Story Platformer  (Read 2448 times)
Gunroar:Cannon()
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2023, 04:42:53 PM »

A short platformer (playtime average 5 minutes) I made with a ...uhhh...story.  My Word! Yes.

Link:
YOU ARE DRAGON  Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 12:26:38 PM by Gunroar:Cannon() » Logged

The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

https://hmmmgames.itch.io

How to be saved
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 09:37:15 AM »

Oh, yeah. And please try to rate it if you can. Smiley

It seems there are no problems, except the ending being a little weird from what I've heard other places. Wizard All good stuff though.

How to be saved
Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 12:21:35 PM »

Very interesting  Smiley

I was a bit reluctant with such basic graphics but the game experience is pretty good... and the game not as easy as it looks ! It took me a while to realise the "player" could jump higher after being "squashed" a bit. words are a bit enigmatic at the end of each level but why not ?

I reached the 3rd level with the big eye throwing a laser to prevent from reaching the high exit on the right and a bit disappointed to see I have to restart from level one after giving up. No way of continuing a started game ?

Controls were a bit unconfortable to me, I first thought left and right directions were handled by arrow keys and tried many keys to find the jump command.

It seems this game is the "essence" of platformer genre (take it as a compliment Wink)

If you like platformers yourself, please have a try with my own game, Hop! 2D, in the same forum  Grin

Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 06:03:22 AM »

Hey, thanks for chucking it out. Hope you rated Tongue

I reached the 3rd level with the big eye throwing a laser to prevent from reaching the high exit on the right and a bit disappointed to see I have to restart from level one after giving up. No way of continuing a started game ?
Weird, it should save. Tested multiple times. On quiting and continuing it saves the game ...uhh...unless you exit with escape. Wizard Then it gives a warning about wiping the game. Heheh.

I've actually already checked out Hop2D Beer!  Around the time I was making Dust battle beneath. If I didn't post feedback that time, it was probably because jbarrios's video said it all. Nice feel. Gives of the vibes of an alien world. Wizard

Anyway, really thanks for checking this out. I was convinced no one would ever check on it. Big Laff Even jbarrios. Maybe it's like you said. The graphics look simple. (though it's intended) My Word!

How to be saved
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 08:18:53 AM »

Just played, considering how simple the game is, you get quite a lot of impact for such a minimal presentation.

I was confused when the main character changed shape to be rounded and green, I didn't understand why that was.

The interstitial text was a bit repetitive, I think that is a side effect of such a bare bones story.

Audio is much higher quality than the graphics which are sort of absurdly simple.

At times the controls are awkward, but that seems to be the way of my life. I sort of just fumbled on the WASD keys to try to get the character to move, but sometimes it was stuck on walls or the wall jump (pressing the side keys while next to a wall) was sort of weird.

Again, I'm impressed as to how much impact you can get from such a simple game. Great work!

Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 03:15:31 PM »

Thanks. I tried to make a deep story from simple images Tongue

The green square is a "Dragon". The circle is a "Man" ( "O is man" Tongue )

It's a short game that I intentionally have simple graphics (normal graphics won't work, I tried to see if that would make it better, but no. I designed it for those graphics Smiley ) so a lot of people dismiss it, the few who play seem to like it so far.

Thanks for playing.

How to be saved
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 03:56:46 AM »

There are some small polish things I would do just to make it a bit cleaner, but its a nice little game.

If "Cut The Rope" can be in the IGF then this game is also worthy of respect.

ciriacolettiere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 03:40:39 AM »

A short platformer (playtime average 5 minutes) I made with a ...uhhh...story.  My Word! Yes.

Link:
YOU ARE DRAGON  Well, hello there!

Not a bad game.

Only I was immediately confused by the fact that the controls are specified as ">", "<", and I had it working on WASD.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 02:30:04 AM by ciriacolettiere » Logged
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 07:25:15 AM »

It wasn't cut the rope, it was

"You have to burn the rope"

This was in the IGF and I think its a good example of the cynicism that was a big part of the scene at the time.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic