Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:42:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessAlternative Revenue Streams
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Alternative Revenue Streams  (Read 4666 times)
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« on: July 23, 2009, 04:29:43 PM »

Hey guys, we've been sort of struggling lately at intuition and today it hit us like a ton of bricks. Maybe we should do crimes.

Has anyone had any luck doing crimes for money?

I've heard anecdotally that crime does not pay, does anyone have experience with this, maybe some tips? It's just that contract work and flash games isn't quite putting us where we want to be.

Thanks in advance.

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 04:36:13 PM »

Crime of course pays, it's just that it also includes a high risk of it not paying if you go to prison.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »

Prostitution, I've heard, is a pretty fun one if you're looking to go the crimes route.

Well, hello there!
  BlinkBlink
  Hand Money Left  Hand Money Right

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »

Just get a trademark on a popular word and go to town with nuisance suits.

It works!  Gentleman

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »

I've sold weed on some occasions. Good money, and it's only to those in an inner circle so I was pretty safe. Made a killing.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 07:17:59 PM »

there was once a guy who took out a pay number (like those 1-900 things) and made it so people had to pay 35$ for the first minute. he then called the answering machines of businesses in the yellow pages, one after the other, stating he had an immediate need to talk to them, and that they should call him back. he attached his own number to an answering machine message. businesses, being large, never noticed that when they returned his call they were charged $35. after enough time at this he earned millions, and was never caught.

more realistically, a lot of indies make money through selling the games of other people, on mini-portals. check out these two sites of well-known indie developers for example:

- http://www.positech.co.uk/
- http://www.amaranthia.com/

notice how they don't only sell their own games, but also the games of other people, as affiliates, for a percent of the sales. these aren't the only two either, these are just examples, it's quite common. many of them make more money selling the games of others than their own games. all you need to know is how to generate traffic. it's something i've been looking into doing myself too as a supplement to my own game sales.

another option is to do services for money, using sites like http://www.elance.com/ -- there's a list of jobs that require some particular skill (with an extremely huge variety) along with what people are willing to pay for those jobs.

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 11:12:27 PM »

Hey guys, we've been sort of struggling lately at intuition and today it hit us like a ton of bricks. Maybe we should do crimes.

Contract killing pays well, I hear.

But the other thing which pays well is programming. You guys have good Flash programmers, right? That pays something like $60/hour for relatively easy stuff (actually I don't know in USD, but I've made at least £40/hour on all my recent contracts). And if you write good reusable code you can even end up with libraries and stuff that have gaming applications!

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 05:05:22 AM »

after enough time at this he earned millions, and was never caught.

So...how do you know about it? Droop

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 09:09:43 AM »

after enough time at this he earned millions, and was never caught.

So...how do you know about it? Droop
Well of course a bunch of companies would've reported this. You don;t need to know who did it to know the crime.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 11:01:53 PM »

there was once a guy who took out a pay number (like those 1-900 things) and made it so people had to pay 35$ for the first minute. he then called the answering machines of businesses in the yellow pages, one after the other, stating he had an immediate need to talk to them, and that they should call him back. he attached his own number to an answering machine message. businesses, being large, never noticed that when they returned his call they were charged $35. after enough time at this he earned millions, and was never caught.

more realistically, a lot of indies make money through selling the games of other people, on mini-portals. check out these two sites of well-known indie developers for example:

- http://www.positech.co.uk/
- http://www.amaranthia.com/

notice how they don't only sell their own games, but also the games of other people, as affiliates, for a percent of the sales. these aren't the only two either, these are just examples, it's quite common. many of them make more money selling the games of others than their own games. all you need to know is how to generate traffic. it's something i've been looking into doing myself too as a supplement to my own game sales.

another option is to do services for money, using sites like http://www.elance.com/ -- there's a list of jobs that require some particular skill (with an extremely huge variety) along with what people are willing to pay for those jobs.

we'll look into this. It seems like a viable option.

We've been searching around trying to find criming communities [on the internet], but that's a bit tough. All we can find is anti-crime communities... Shrug

Anyone have an in on a criming forum? I'm sure we'll need some kind of password, but it'd be greatly appreciated. PMs welcome.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 12:48:15 PM »

I believe you're looking for 4chan.

Well, hello there!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 04:12:41 AM »

Anyone have an in on a criming forum? I'm sure we'll need some kind of password, but it'd be greatly appreciated. PMs welcome.

not exactly about crime, but this is a community where the people who spam and use spambots and use other illegal or immoral tactics to make money gather:

http://www.blackhatworld.com/blackhat-seo/

some of the threads there are hilarious. like 'i made 4000 twitter accounts today and spammed like crazy and haven't made a cent yet! what am i doing wrong??'

leaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 06:13:34 PM »

Or you could be dirty by finding work at GameStop and then telling all your customers that your game is the best. Mock Anger
obscure
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 11:12:41 PM »

I've heard anecdotally that crime does not pay,
Crime pays, it's getting caught that doesn't pay - unless you write a book about your exploits.

Dan Marchant
Gamekeeper turned poacher
raiten
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 12:38:56 AM »

Prostitution, I've heard, is a pretty fun one if you're looking to go the crimes route.

Well, hello there!
  BlinkBlink
  Hand Money Left  Hand Money Right

Zeke M.
Level 0

hug hug hug

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 12:51:10 AM »

Crime really does pay.  However, I would beg you to re-conceptualize "crimes" as "scams", or better yet, "entrepreneurship".  Stealing money is really hard, so what you need to do is: get people to pay you money for things you didn't pay any money for. (This is the fundamental aspect of capitalism)

Seriously.  If this doesn't get your brain-pumping, then you aren't cut out for criming (industry term).

Wait, I meant entrepreneuring.

EDIT: This is a serious post.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:56:10 AM by Zeke M. » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic