Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:42:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl "meta" thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl "meta" thread  (Read 18812 times)
shig
« on: July 23, 2009, 06:02:15 PM »

Discuss whatever you would like here.

Original Post
First thing I'd like to talk about:

--Keeping true to the source material.
A great part of the fun in this game would be recognising characters from your favourite indie games. Keeping the poses/stances and appearance of the characters as close as possible to what it was originally would make the characters much more easily recognisable to anyone.

I don't think we're giving enough value to this. Especially considering how... Heavy the art style/direction in IB is.
When watching the Card Sagas war gameplay video with Etna and Chrono, even though I already knew what it was about and I already knew Chrono would be in game, when I saw that Chrono's "laying down" sprite looks almost exactly like it did in the SNES game I couldn't help but have a nostalgia bomb right there and say "that's so awesome" to myself. It felt great. I want the players to have this feeling, too.
In some cases, changing the poses is either inevitable (Liero) or for the better (some of Iji's). But I really disliked what happened to Xoda Rap, who had a relatively distinct stance replaced with a much more generic one, Trilby -though that was fixed already- and, to a lesser extent, Nikujin.
Lyle would be the perfect example of adapting a sprite to the IB style while keeping true to the source example, IMO.

( I have more things I want to discuss later, but I just don't have the patience to type it all prettily like this right now. Tired, sorry :C )
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:26:56 AM by Soulliard » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 06:31:17 PM »

The Go Here First thread was the original meta thread, but I suppose there's enough confusion over it that a new thread is a good idea.

As far as keeping true to the source material goes, I more or less agree with you, with the exception of Xoda. I'd say her sprite is pretty true to the source, and even if her idle stance is different, I don't see that as a problem. Remember that, during actual gameplay, characters will spend very little time in an idle stance anyways.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 07:44:20 AM »

Question:
For the milestone 1 release, how should incomplete (non-animated) characters be handled? I'm thinking that they should appear on a separate row in the title screen, and they should not have a graphic portrait (even if one is already completed) to indicate their incomplete nature.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:12:36 PM »

An "include incomplete characters" menu option defaulted to off?

Edit: Actually, that's a dumb idea, the menu option would still be nice, but default it to on.
Maybe make their pictures a gray box with the word incomplete. (or possibly something shorter)
No, Thats also stupid.
I think something marking their row as incomplete would be fine.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 05:24:54 PM by mokesmoe » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 08:40:54 PM »

Maybe just a red I on a corner of their icon or something.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 01:56:18 AM »

I vote this. My ideas sucked!
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 09:28:23 AM »

That'll work. Thanks.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 01:28:20 PM »

I have a good question.

Will we be updating Indie Brawl as more notable indie games come out? Say, after Indie Brawl has reached release status and been sent out into the world, a new indie game is released that just blows everyone away. Will we be approaching them about including characters and stages and basically continuing development on Indie Brawl? Or will RC be the final revision, barring maintenance patches.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 01:34:23 PM »

As far as I know, we all agreed on that new characters would be added after the initial release is reached.

You know, for PERFECT WORLD TOURNAMENT EDITION  Gentleman
Dragonmaw
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 01:43:38 PM »

As far as I know, we all agreed on that new characters would be added after the initial release is reached.

You know, for PERFECT WORLD TOURNAMENT EDITION  Gentleman
SUPER HYPER INDIE BRAWL: TURBO '' HD REMIX EDITION
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 01:57:45 PM »

As new games come out, Indie Brawl will be updated. As long as people are motivated enough to add to it.

Since the project was first conceptualized, Barkley: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Castle Crashers, Bonesaw: The Game, Iji, Spelunky, Noitu Love 2, Rescue the Beagles, World of Goo, Mighty Jill Off, Karoshi, The Spirit Engine 2, Meatboy, Shotgun Ninja, You Have to Burn the Rope, Braid and Fantastic Blood Boy were all released, and all are planned for inclusion in Indie Brawl.

I admit, I had fun making that list.

medieval
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 06:00:38 AM »

Shotgun Ninja
Kiss
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 08:14:18 AM »

Castle Crashers

Addicted

shig
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 10:56:46 AM »

I imagine that "floating platform" stages would bring a more interesting kind of gameplay than stages where you can just walk to your death.
But I'm basing that mostly from my expercience playing SSB, wich is entirely based on throwing people out of the screen instead of depleting their health.

Also, there should be something pointing out where you are when you are out of the screen, but not out of the stage.

Thewaether
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 07:33:04 AM »

There's no "Ready... go!" at the start of matches. Feels sort of empty.
godsavant
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »

There's no "Ready... go!" at the start of matches. Feels sort of empty.

This. I feel even a rudimentary countdown would make the menu-to-gameplay transition much more professional.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 06:26:03 PM »

Here's something that's been on my mind for a while.

We could not get permission to use Quote, and it doesn't look like we ever will.

However, his coding and animations are already nearly complete. It's a shame that all this work will be wasted.

What would you think of adding another character, with Quote's moves and animations, modified slightly (probably a palette swap like the one below)? Tyrone himself mentioned that there are pretty significant differences between Quote in Cave Story and Quote in Indie Brawl, so if we renamed him 'Soldier' or something along those lines, we'd probably be in the clear.

falsion
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 06:38:33 PM »

Here's something that's been on my mind for a while.

We could not get permission to use Quote, and it doesn't look like we ever will.

However, his coding and animations are already nearly complete. It's a shame that all this work will be wasted.

What would you think of adding another character, with Quote's moves and animations, modified slightly (probably a palette swap like the one below)? Tyrone himself mentioned that there are pretty significant differences between Quote in Cave Story and Quote in Indie Brawl, so if we renamed him 'Soldier' or something along those lines, we'd probably be in the clear.

But that defeats the whole purpose of playing as the character. Imagine if Trilby was just "Thief" or Liero was just "Worm." It's just not the same, not to mention that it'd look akward and rather tacky to have Quote in the game like that and wouldn't mesh well with the other characters.

Should The Underside come out any soon, Ip would be a pretty good replacement character. Not exactly the same (that's right, I'm not calling it a cave story rip off! take that) but damn close enough. Kind of like how Spelunker took the place of Lemeza.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »

It's hard to say for sure, since The Underside is not out yet, but it looks like there will be more focus on melee, and the game will be faster-paced in general.

Once The Underside is out, I'm sure Ip will make an appearance in Indie Brawl, but he probably won't fill the same role Quote filled. Quote was an average ranged character, and Ip will likely be a speedy balanced character.

falsion
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »

Well, at any rate, I don't think putting Quote in as a generic character would do much justice to him or the entire theme of the game as a whole. It's a shame that we can't use Cave Story but sadly I don't see anything that can really be done about that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic